+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to get work permit for parents in Canada on Super Visa

Tansin

Apr 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

My parents arrived in Canada on super visa recently. I understand that the super visa is a temporary residence permit and it does not allow holders to work in Canada. But, my parents are in their early 60s and good health. They would like to work to stay busy and also to help with supporting their stay in Canada. What is the process for applying for a work permit for them? What other ways in which they can work to partially support themselves in Canada? Does anyone know any good immigration lawyers in Toronto whom we can consult for this situation?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

My parents arrived in Canada on super visa recently. I understand that the super visa is a temporary residence permit and it does not allow holders to work in Canada. But, my parents are in their early 60s and good health. They would like to work to stay busy and also to help with supporting their stay in Canada. What is the process for applying for a work permit for them? What other ways in which they can work to partially support themselves in Canada? Does anyone know any good immigration lawyers in Toronto whom we can consult for this situation?
One of them needs to secure a job offer with an employer in Canada. That employer must then obtain an approved LMIA. Once those steps are completed, your parent can apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. The other parent will then have a chance to qualify for an open work permit based on their spouse's closed work permit. You don't need an immigration lawyer. What you need to do is find an employer willing to give a job offer and also willing to go through the LMIA process.

Reactions: Tansin

Tansin

Apr 25, 2019
One of them needs to secure a job offer with an employer in Canada. That employer must then obtain an approved LMIA. Once those steps are completed, your parent can apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. The other parent will then have a chance to qualify for an open work permit based on their spouse's closed work permit. You don't need an immigration lawyer. What you need to do is find an employer willing to give a job offer and also willing to go through the LMIA process.
Hi Scylla,
Thank you for your prompt response. Appreciate it a lot. It sounds very difficult to secure a closed work permit for either of my parents given your response. Do you have any idea about how I can go about finding an employer like that? I will reach out inside the community to see if I get any leads.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,
Thank you for your prompt response. Appreciate it a lot. It sounds very difficult to secure a closed work permit for either of my parents given your response. Do you have any idea about how I can go about finding an employer like that? I will reach out inside the community to see if I get any leads.
I don't.

Good luck.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi Scylla,
Usually that means that at least one of your parents have very special skills that employers in Canada cannot find. Or you live in an area that type of job do not have enough PR/Canadians willing to work for.
That's the most likely case a Canadian employer is willing to go through with LMIA and helping to apply for a close work permit.

If your parents are bored, they can join senior activities in your community or volunteer. They can also travel back home and back to visit you since they have supervisa and can return.
The main purpose of supervisa is for parents to visit. Not for them to settle and work in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There is an income requirement for a supervisa because children are required to support them during their visit. They can attempt to find an employer who has an LMiA and they to get a WP but it their 60s it will likely be very hard. If you are short of funds they can visit for a shorter period of time or come for a few months every year.