+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I sponsor my (soon to be) wife from Brazil?

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
It's currently around 3 months for sponsor approval, but that could change in the future. CIC isn't exactly predictable!

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
CanadaBrazil said:
Thanks JPSANT!

So that sounds like 2 months for sponsor assessment and 4-8 months spouse assessment? (total 10 months?)

I will let you know about the visitior visa. I am also tempted to apply for a study visa, but I am not sure if they will allow my parents to sponsor her... also... I don't want a denial of a study visa to be a red flag if she comes in on a visitor visa... Your thoughts?

also, if she got the study visa, not sure if she should start the course before getting married.

Please let me know about your extension when you hear. I may want to copy your application letter exactly :)

What do you mean by strong ties? She has family... but isn't a husband in Canada stronger.

Also, she has a study course that she could continue in Brazil after a 30 day visit... but obviously I don't want her passport to be stamped only for 30 days!! I want her to stay longer.

I am wondering if she should just come get married in Canada...??? But she does want a big wedding with her family in Brazil.

Thanks so much for all your help!!
That's what I heard from other Brazilians.
If she's studying in Brazil*** that's a strong tie to go back to Brazil, if she has kids that's another strong tie.
if you're in Ontario, the marriage certificate takes 3 months to get ready and shipped to u unless u pay another huge fee.
Your parents canNOT sponsor her.. only you as a husband or common law partner.
If she applies for an English course that should be ok. Make sure she has the acceptance letter from the college and all.
My letter was a normal letter, just explaining in details my plans as I'd be coming back to visit my friends (=D) I had been in Canada before as a student.
I told them I'd stay for 30 days, they didn't issue me anything which means I could stay longer.
If they don't give her a visitor record, she's good for 6 months even though at the port of entry she said she'd stay for 30 days. u understand?
It is very easy for her to get married in Canada, all she needs is two ID's (passport and driver's license for example).
Now it's gonna be a HUGE work for u to marry in Brazil.. take a look at what the Brazilians gov requires from foreigners. I don't know if it's worth it LOL.
GOod luck

CanadaBrazil

Jan 25, 2015
Obrigado JPSANT.

Yes... I was speaking about my parents sponsoring her to study... ANy ideas on applying for a study visa BEFORE getting married?

Yes, it seems to be difficult for a foreigner to get married in Brazil.

You said:

"My letter was a normal letter, just explaining in details my plans as I'd be coming back to visit my friends (=D) I had been in Canada before as a student"

Was this a letter that you submitted along with the visa application or when you entered the country.

Please let us know when you hear about the visitor extension.

Thanks!

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
CanadaBrazil said:
Obrigado JPSANT.

Yes... I was speaking about my parents sponsoring her to study... ANy ideas on applying for a study visa BEFORE getting married?

Yes, it seems to be difficult for a foreigner to get married in Brazil.

You said:

"My letter was a normal letter, just explaining in details my plans as I'd be coming back to visit my friends (=D) I had been in Canada before as a student"

Was this a letter that you submitted along with the visa application or when you entered the country.

Please let us know when you hear about the visitor extension.

Thanks!
That letter was for my visitor visa, I send it with my application (online).
Aw, I see... well, if u're parents will pay for her studies, you must include a letter from them saying she will be under their "protection" and they will pay for her expenses.
She could come on a visitor visa to study English (EAP or ESL - if you're in Ontario that's what they called in my college). And then she can marry you.. would that be ok?
you're welcome! =D
hope everything works out for u.
before u send ur application for study or visitor, let me know.. I'd love to know what docs u're sending.
Thank you!

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
My visa extension was granted..
They'll send me a letter in a few days with instructions. =D
I'm really happy.

CanadaBrazil

Jan 25, 2015
Wow... Congratulations JPSANT!!!!!

Well done! Would you be able to send me a copy of the letter that you sent? I will send you my an email address in a personal message.

Thanks!!!! There is hope!!!!

CanadaBrazil

Jan 25, 2015
Congrats JPSANT!!!! As we might go the visitor visa route, is it possible for you to message me the wording that you used for the visa extension?

Question about being resident in the country.... I heard that as a PR I can only sponsor my spouse if I am in Canada with only about 2 weeks holiday. But I have seen conflicting statements on this. Where can I find a definiitive statement?

I was looking to register for healthcare and I saw this... which suggests a resident can go on vacation for up to 6 or 7 months... Also the recent immigration changes say that to get citizenship you need to be in the country about 6 months for 4 years. Both of these seem to suggest that a PR sponsor of a spouse can be outside for longer than 2 weeks. Any thoughts guys?

To qualify for Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, you must be a resident of British Columbia. A resident is a person who:

is a citizen of Canada or is lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence,
makes her or his home in B.C., and
is physically present in B.C. for
at least six months in a calendar year, or
a shorter prescribed period*,
and includes a person who is deemed under the regulations to be a resident but does not include a tourist or visitor to British Columbia.

*Note: Effective January 1, 2013, eligible B.C. residents (citizens of Canada or persons who are lawfully admitted to Canada for permanent residence) who are outside B.C. for vacation purposes only, are allowed a total absence of up to seven months in a calendar year.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/insurance/msp_register.html#appEligibility

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
CanadaBrazil said:
Wow... Congratulations JPSANT!!!!!

Well done! Would you be able to send me a copy of the letter that you sent? I will send you my an email address in a personal message.

Thanks!!!! There is hope!!!!
I'm not sure I got your message =O
I'm sorry I didn't reply your messages.
Can you send me a message?

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
ANSWERS:

Question about being resident in the country.... I heard that as a PR I can only sponsor my spouse if I am in Canada with only about 2 weeks holiday. But I have seen conflicting statements on this. Where can I find a definiitive statement?

I'm not sure if that first information about 2 weeks holiday is right. If you are a PR you can sponsor your spouse at any time, I believe, as long as you were not sponsored by a previous spouse (ex wife/husband) for a period of 5 years. if you came as a skilled worker (EE) or something like that, you should be good to sponsor your spouse.
You can find better answers here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

I was looking to register for healthcare and I saw this... which suggests a resident can go on vacation for up to 6 or 7 months... Also the recent immigration changes say that to get citizenship you need to be in the country about 6 months for 4 years. Both of these seem to suggest that a PR sponsor of a spouse can be outside for longer than 2 weeks. Any thoughts guys?

I'm not sure about BC as I'm from Ontario. But in Ontario, after you land, you have a waiting period to get your OHIP card (health card) which is 3 months. You have to apply for OHIP and 3 months after you do so, it will be mailed to you.
Here you can stay out of the country for a few months as well ( I believe 6) without losing it.
For citizenship you MUST stay/live in the country for 3 years within 4 years after you got your PR, at least that's how I've been told. In other words, You must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before you apply. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp
You can stay outside of Canada for a lot longer than 2 weeks as long as you're planning on coming back.

nvnv

Jun 23, 2015
Hi,
I'm currently stuck in a similar situation. Back story short we have been together for 2 years and we met in the USA for an event we both were involved in. And ever since we have been in a long distance relationship. I had the chance to meet her family last year 2014 (got my Brazilian tourist visa aswell) in Brazil (we've been dating since 2013). She has her USA visa (i don't particularly need one as I am a Canadian citizen)
My Brazilian fiance is coming here to Canada on a tourist visa (she just got accepted), and however she omitted (we are not lying and our relationship is genuine) that we are planning to marrry. Now, we are planning to marry here in (civil wedding) Canada BC this year.
We also plan on having our ceremony in brazil next year (civil here with my family and ceremony there in brazil with hers. for the sake of it being so bureaucratic to marry in Brazil)
Now what are the requirements and your suggestions in terms for both marriage and sponsorships?
I don't really know what to do...
Should we marry here in Canada or in Brazil to make the sponsorship easier?
Our initial plan was to do the civil wedding here to get the documents sorted out for the sponsorship (after we do civil here and then later on next year ceremony in brazil with her family) , however we did "Omit" our plans of marriage in her Canadian tourist visa application.

Help would be much appreciated!!!

jpsant

Aug 14, 2014
Visa Office......
SP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-11-2014
AOR Received.
17-02-2015
Med's Done....
12-11-2014
Don't worry about it
Get married in Canada as it is very bureaucratic for a foreigner to get married in Brazil.
Then you should start your pr sponsorship.
about omitting your wedding plans on te visitor visa, that's not a problem. That will not do any harm to your application.
Good luck!