+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How do I sponsor my (soon to be wife) from Brazil to Canada?

nvnv

Jun 23, 2015
Hi,
Back story short we have been together for 2 years and we met in the USA for an event we both were involved in. And ever since we have been in a long distance relationship. I had the chance to meet her family and meet the Brazilian culture/touring last year 2014 (got my Brazilian tourist visa aswell) (we've been dating since 2013). She has her USA visa (i don't particularly need one as I am a Canadian citizen)
My Brazilian (soon to be) is coming here to Canada on a tourist visa (she just got accepted). However, she omitted (we are not lying and our relationship is genuine) that we are planning to marry. Now, we are planning to marry here in Canada BC (civil wedding) this year (2015, no date set up).
We also plan on having our ceremony in brazil next year 2016 (civil here with my family and ceremony there in brazil with hers. for the sake of it being so bureaucratic to marry in Brazil)
I don't really know what to do...
Our initial plan was to do the civil wedding here to get the documents sorted out for the sponsorship (after we do civil here and then later on next year ceremony in brazil with her family) , however we did "Omit" our plans of marriage in her Canadian tourist visa application.
PS. We did not have a formal engagement which means no ring, just had family blessings from both parties (which we thought was much more important than just a ring).

Now what are the requirements and your suggestions in terms for both marriage and spousal sponsorships?

1) Should we marry here in Canada or in Brazil to make the sponsorship easier?
2) Would there be such trouble if we marry here in Canada then do an inland/outland sponsorship ?(omited the marriage section out on her initial tourist visa application)
3) Would it be safe to do the sponsorship after the civil wedding here in Canada and apply for sponsorship?
4) After the civil wedding here in Canada should we apply for inland or outland?
5) What are some possible risk or troubles we would face
6) How long would the process take?
7) What are some advice and suggestions on filling up applications? (to avoid being denied)

Help would be much appreciated!!! ;) :D :D ;) 8)

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
1) Should we marry here in Canada or in Brazil to make the sponsorship easier?
Canada, as the bureaucracy *might* be easier to deal with and you won't have to worry about translating the marriage certificate
2) Would there be such trouble if we marry here in Canada then do an inland/outland sponsorship ?(omited the marriage section out on her initial tourist visa application)
None whatsoever
3) Would it be safe to do the sponsorship after the civil wedding here in Canada and apply for sponsorship?
Yes, although I'm not sure what risk you are referring to
4) After the civil wedding here in Canada should we apply for inland or outland?
Outland is quicker, so for that reason alone, but there are other benefits. Only benefit to inland is the ability to work a few months after applying
5) What are some possible risk or troubles we would face
7) What are some advice and suggestions on filling up applications? (to avoid being denied)
The last 3 questions are vey generic and vague. You'll find answers by looking around this site.

You talk about a civil marriage in Canada and a ceremony in Brazil. I don't know what ceremony you're referring to, but once you are married, that's it - you can't marry that person again, even if it's in another country.

nvnv

Jun 23, 2015
Hi,
Thank you for your reply and that really helped.
I'm referring to the risk of having not specify the marriage plans in her tourist visa upon coming to Canada and etc and sponsoring after marriage whether or not CIC would be fishy about this and whatnot.
Also, I am referring to a civil wedding (with a commissioner and just for documents and certificate & whatnot) here and a religious/ceremony in Brazil.
We've both never been married before, so upon marrying her here in Canada she just needs her birth certificate (translated or not?) and other primary ID?

We're both new to this. So yeah..

starry101

Feb 11, 2013

Depends if you file inland vs outland. Inland you are looking at 2 years, where she would not be able to leave Canada during the process (basically if you file inland after the ceremony, you won't be travelling to Brazil for another one with her family). Outland for Brazil right now seems to be very quick, 2 months for the sponsor and 5 months for the applicant last I checked.

Mapleson

Apr 2, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Havana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2015
Doc's Request.
21-08-2015
AOR Received.
24-04-2015
File Transfer...
28-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
24-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2015
LANDED..........
18-10-2015
The only specific thing about filling in the application is don't lie regardless of any complications. CIC will accept almost any situation so long as you are truthful about it.

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
Mapleson said:
The only specific thing about filling in the application is don't lie regardless of any complications. CIC will accept almost any situation so long as you are truthful about it.
Couldn't agree more. If you have a potentially questionable situation, explain it in a separate document. Under no circumstances, even if advised to do so by a lawyer, should you lie or neglect to disclose anything. Consequences can be dire.

nvnv

Jun 23, 2015
starry101 said:

Depends if you file inland vs outland. Inland you are looking at 2 years, where she would not be able to leave Canada during the process (basically if you file inland after the ceremony, you won't be travelling to Brazil for another one with her family). Outland for Brazil right now seems to be very quick, 2 months for the sponsor and 5 months for the applicant last I checked.

Hi thank you for your reply,
yeah that make sense. Can you tell a little more about 2 months for the sponsor and 5 months for applicants? (Again, this is my first time doing this.. I have to research more but if you can elaborate on this it would be much of help thank you!!)

starry101

Feb 11, 2013
Basically you have to be approved to sponsor first, only after that will they start processing the applicant part.

nvnv

Jun 23, 2015
bigredmoose said:
Couldn't agree more. If you have a potentially questionable situation, explain it in a separate document. Under no circumstances, even if advised to do so by a lawyer, should you lie or neglect to disclose anything. Consequences can be dire.
So even if we specifically say "We have omitted the plans of marriage in Canada during the initial application of her tourist visa because we didn't have a specific plan or formal engagement. Although instead, we had both our family's blessings for the initial and essential part of our marriage while her stay in Canada for the wedding."??

What are your suggestions with this situation upon filling the application for sponsorship? I'm open to opinions,suggestions and recommendations. Thanks... We're feeling a little antsy and paranoid (again our first time doing this) about this, although we do recognized there are far worse cases out in the open than ours...

Thanks again in advance!

nvnv

Jun 23, 2015
starry101 said:
Basically you have to be approved to sponsor first, only after that will they start processing the applicant part.
Great!! thank you. I just wanted to confirm that

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
Outland via Brazilian VO is taking 3 months - start to finish
If you're planning to live in Quebec, 4 months.

Of course, assuming you have a straightforward application.
It's basically 2 months for stage 1 and 20 days for stage 2.

bigredmoose

Dec 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, AUS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-10-2014
AOR Received.
24-12-2014
File Transfer...
06-01-2015
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
27/04/2015 (COPR)
LANDED..........
08/07/2015
nvnv said:
So even if we specifically say "We have omitted the plans of marriage in Canada during the initial application of her tourist visa because we didn't have a specific plan or formal engagement. Although instead, we had both our family's blessings for the initial and essential part of our marriage while her stay in Canada for the wedding."??

What are your suggestions with this situation upon filling the application for sponsorship? I'm open to opinions,suggestions and recommendations. Thanks... We're feeling a little antsy and paranoid (again our first time doing this) about this, although we do recognized there are far worse cases out in the open than ours...

Thanks again in advance!

I would stop worrying about the fact that you didn't disclose that she was coming here to get married. On the sponsorship application, just say that while she was here on a tourist visa, you got married. There is nothing wrong with that.

DanSlh

Champion Member
Dec 24, 2014
Brazil
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-03-2015
AOR Received.
17-04-2015
File Transfer...
07-05-2015 AOR2............: 15-05-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-02-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
22-06-2015
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
02-07-2015
bigredmoose said:
I would stop worrying about the fact that you didn't disclose that she was coming here to get married. On the sponsorship application, just say that while she was here on a tourist visa, you got married. There is nothing wrong with that.
Completelly agree.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
nvnv said:
Don't specifically say this - it would be like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Lots of people come here on a tourist visa, do not mention they are planning to visit their fiance/e, then get married. They have no trouble being accepted. She came here on a tourist visa to visit you, see Canada, and meet your family. Nothing wrong with that.

There is a question on the forms about whether you had a formal engagement. Again, answering 'no' will not hurt your chances. Just write that you did not, but you told both your families and had their blessing. If you had a party to celebrate this in Canada, you can mention that as well.

You can get married in a civil ceremony in Canada, but make sure you still make it look special - get dressed up, exchange rings, have flowers, as many witnesses from your family as possible, a reception afterwards - even if it is just a meal at a restaurant. Take photos. Then you can say you plan to have a religious ceremony in Brazil for her family next year.