+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hope for International Students

toronto_winter

Oct 15, 2014
hi! all

this Monday is the election day

If the liberal is going to win with majority then CEC old rules are coming back.

Hope for the best

International Students I wish you all the best

sivasagi

Jan 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fingers crossed. Many hopes on Liberals. hope they will get back CEC which benefits both Tfw and students.

afsar9930

Star Member
Jul 24, 2015
I don't think so. Remember CEC was not even brought by liberals. I think they will stick to express entry system. However, I read somewhere that Justin wants to create a fast track system for all inland applicants. But I expect that we won't see any change at least for their first year in power

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
afsar9930 said:
I don't think so. Remember CEC was not even brought by liberals. I think they will stick to express entry system. However, I read somewhere that Justin wants to create a fast track system for all inland applicants. But I expect that we won't see any change at least for their first year in power
True. Although I do hope for a Liberals win, but I don't think they are going to do anything major about the current EE, except changing a few rules. Maybe add more points to Canadian degree and working experience.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Alexios07 said:
True. Although I do hope for a Liberals win, but I don't think they are going to do anything major about the current EE, except changing a few rules. Maybe add more points to Canadian degree and working experience.
Why would they do that? 85% of the people selected in Express Entry are in Canada. Does it make sense to make that 90? 95?

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:
Why would they do that? 85% of the people selected in Express Entry are in Canada. Does it make sense to make that 90? 95?
They are in Canada, but it doesn't mean they all have Canadian degree. Some of them have a second degree from their home countries. I know it doesn't make sense to raise the percentage to 90% or 95%, I just think international students who have already spent at least 4 years in Canada, studied, graduated and got a real job here should have advantages or easier procedures.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Alexios07 said:
They are in Canada, but it doesn't mean they all have Canadian degree. Some of them have a second degree from their home countries. I know it doesn't make sense to raise the percentage to 90% or 95%, I just think international students who have already spent at least 4 years in Canada, studied, graduated and got a real job here should have advantages or easier procedures.
They do have advantages. If they got a real job (NOC O,A, or B), they are eligible for express entry under CEC. They get points under core/human factors for Canadian Work Experience. They get relaxed requirements on the language proficiency with Canadian Work Experience.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:
They do have advantages. If they got a real job (NOC O,A, or B), they are eligible for express entry under CEC. They get points under core/human factors for Canadian Work Experience. They get relaxed requirements on the language proficiency with Canadian Work Experience.
.....and the other advantages including disproportionately higher points under most PN programs, disproportionately higher access to the labor market and employers who might consider helping with an LMIA application and a favorable CIC who would gladly conduct a CEC specific draw when it doesn't want the 'regular' cutoff to drop and there aren't enough applicants available in the 450+ range. The only people in Canada complaining about EE are probably those who are just shy of 1 year CWE and with limited English skills - both of which contribute significantly towards a healthy CRS score.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Asivad Anac said:
The only people in Canada complaining about EE are probably those who are just shy of 1 year CWE and with limited English skills - both of which contribute significantly towards a healthy CRS score.
We do see the occasional complaint about EE from people who are old, have a two year degree, have a spouse with few points, or who got a PGWP, didn't get their work experience, and now are going to lose status.

In my opinion, there is too much emphasis placed on those who are already here. I'd really like to see them get the job bank working properly so that we can get more people with LMIAs. If they made applicants apply through the job bank, they could help catch employers lying about qualified applicants.

There is too much potential for abuse with LMIAs for existing employers - the employer can play games. I say this as someone who went through the process - my employer was legitimately trying to hire anyone he could, but we required specialized knowledge. When I see companies like Tim Hortons employing over 4,500 temporary workers, it makes me sick. Those jobs should go to Canadians, and there are employers with legitimate needs, unable to meet them.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:
We do see the occasional complaint about EE from people who are old, have a two year degree, have a spouse with few points, or who got a PGWP, didn't get their work experience, and now are going to lose status.

In my opinion, there is too much emphasis placed on those who are already here. I'd really like to see them get the job bank working properly so that we can get more people with LMIAs. If they made applicants apply through the job bank, they could help catch employers lying about qualified applicants.

There is too much potential for abuse with LMIAs for existing employers - the employer can play games. I say this as someone who went through the process - my employer was legitimately trying to hire anyone he could, but we required specialized knowledge. When I see companies like Tim Hortons employing over 100,000 temporary workers, it makes me sick. Those jobs should go to Canadians, and there are employers with legitimate needs, unable to meet them.
And that probably begins to explain why a conservative Government would bring in such a farsighted legislation in the first place! ;)

For too long, immigration into Canada was at the mercy of bumbling bureaucrats and outdated metrics. EE was definitely 'conceived' as a game-changer and it has seen its share of ups and downs in the last 3 quarters. As with any other ambitious federal change project, this one will also take some time to move the bureaucracy and the allied ecosystem out of years of inertia and blinkered approach. It is a great program on paper (and probably on the ground as well for certain constituencies) but it will need a systematic and consolidated approach from the other deparments to make this change happen for real. CIC alone cannot radically change the face of immigration - ESDC has to do their bit on the LMIA front, provinces have to start getting more imaginative with their programs and employers have to figure out the right balance between the advantages of having temporary cost-effective semi-skilled labor and the benefits of having a skilled (and probably grateful) foreign worker/PR.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
kateg said:

There is too much potential for abuse with LMIAs for existing employers - the employer can play games. I say this as someone who went through the process - my employer was legitimately trying to hire anyone he could, but we required specialized knowledge. When I see companies like Tim Hortons employing over 100,000 temporary workers, it makes me sick. Those jobs should go to Canadians, and there are employers with legitimate needs, unable to meet them.
ur crazy if u think there r canadians who dont get tim hortons jobs. I havent seen any canadian out of college/university not getting a job unless they r not is STEM filed or not in accounting or such. a few unemployed canadians with arts degree may be there. SO what i am trying to say is there r no canadians who want tim hortons jobs. I say this because I just saw it. the tim hortons near us is struggling to find employees as all the students have gone back to school and now they r giving extra hours to those TW's . it looks good on paper to say those jobs would go to canadians but fact is canadians dont want/need those jobs. SO the other alternative would be for tim to close down which will deprive ur canadians of their much needed coffee. even with 7% unemployment canada needs TW's.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kateg said:
They get points under core/human factors for Canadian Work Experience. They get relaxed requirements on the language proficiency with Canadian Work Experience.
The relaxed language requirement doesn't help at all if you still have to compete with other applicants outside Canada.

Asivad Anac said:
.....and the other advantages including disproportionately higher points under most PN programs, disproportionately higher access to the labor market and employers who might consider helping with an LMIA application and a favorable CIC who would gladly conduct a CEC specific draw when it doesn't want the 'regular' cutoff to drop and there aren't enough applicants available in the 450+ range. The only people in Canada complaining about EE are probably those who are just shy of 1 year CWE and with limited English skills - both of which contribute significantly towards a healthy CRS score.
I only did my research on OOPNP and BC PNP, can you give me an example that international students have higher points in other PNPs? About LMIA, I think that's not true at all, I personally know more than 10 international students who have graduated and working in various companies (mostly technical companies), including Ericsson, Fortinet and EA, and I can guarantee you that none of those big companies are willing to sponsor an LMIA for anyone except you are a genius with a breakthrough invention. Why do they have to waste their time to go through the long process of an LMIA to hire a junior engineer or programmer? Those who are willing to go with LMIA usually a small family company or fake company.

A typical international undergraduate with a bachelor degree, and clb level 8 or 9, with one-year working experience will only have a CRS score ranging from 415 ~ 435. How can (s)he competes with foreign candidates who can earn Two or more degrees / certificates (easier and cheaper)? Not to mention that those students MUST find a job within the first year of their PGWP, in order to have a chance to get 2 year experiences, and one year left for all the paperwork and waiting.

kateg said:
Absolutely correct. Like I already posted before, there are way too many companies that can cheat the LMIA system, a guy I know who can barely speak any English , was able to find a hotel in BC who agreed to "offer" him a job as hotel manager, with "real salary" and paychecks, all he has to do is to pay a "small" fee of around $10k and pay his fake "income tax" for the hotel.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Asivad Anac said:
And that probably begins to explain why a conservative Government would bring in such a farsighted legislation in the first place! ;)

For too long, immigration into Canada was at the mercy of bumbling bureaucrats and outdated metrics. EE was definitely 'conceived' as a game-changer and it has seen its share of ups and downs in the last 3 quarters. As with any other ambitious federal change project, this one will also take some time to move the bureaucracy and the allied ecosystem out of years of inertia and blinkered approach. It is a great program on paper (and probably on the ground as well for certain constituencies) but it will need a systematic and consolidated approach from the other deparments to make this change happen for real. CIC alone cannot radically change the face of immigration - ESDC has to do their bit on the LMIA front, provinces have to start getting more imaginative with their programs and employers have to figure out the right balance between the advantages of having temporary cost-effective semi-skilled labor and the benefits of having a skilled (and probably grateful) foreign worker/PR.
very well said. I also want to add there needs to be some improvements with EE too. The software needs to be fixed glitches have to be removed. Some points should be given to NOC or field of experience etc. employers would choose skilled labor if its available or easily and quickly brought in by immigration. but LMIA process needs improvement

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Absolutely correct. Like I already posted before, there are way too many companies that can cheat the LMIA system, a guy I know who can barely speak any English , was able to find a hotel in BC who agreed to "offer" him a job as hotel manager, with "real salary" and paychecks, all he has to do is to pay a "small" fee of around $10k and pay his fake "income tax" for the hotel.
absolutely true and hence EE should consider NOC or profession in its points system. cook get its but a nurse cannot get one seems wrong . and also there r agents who r now charging to arrange for employment and LMIA for a fee. EE has left too many doors open for fraud

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
absolutely true and hence EE should consider NOC or profession in its points system. cook get its but a nurse cannot get one seems wrong . and also there r agents who r now charging to arrange for employment and LMIA for a fee. EE has left too many doors open for fraud
Yes, we certainly don't want someone receives a PR status then work as a fulltime burger flipper and part-time criminal like this guy:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/mcdonald-s-worker-who-said-he-would-cut-off-boss-s-head-sentenced-1.3151033