+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help with deciding on Quebec PR for spouse

avidrunner

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hi all,

I am Canadian and my spouse is Algerian, we were married a few years ago in Cairo and we are both currently living and working in Malaysia. We would like to move to Montreal next year. What is the best way to do this? Ideally we are hoping for an open work permit for my spouse upon landing in Canada together. When landing in the Montreal airport would we need to go to immigration right away to fill out some paperwork and start the sponsorship process? Or would my spouse need to enter Canada on a tourist visa and and is this part for inland sponsorship only done outside of the airport at a Canadian immigration building?

Also, would my spouse need to wait 4-5 months upon landing in Canada to receive an Open Work Permit or are they offered with inland spousal sponsorships upon landing in Canada? If we decide to do an inland spousal sponsorship is there any paperwork that MUST be gathered first while we are overseas, either for the inland sponsorship itself or for anything relating to Quebec residency?

And last but not least, am I eligable to sponsor my spouse in Quebec if I am a full-time university student or does that need to be indicated on the inland spousal sponsorship if I already have the required finances to support a sponsorship?

Thank you,

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What happen to your outland spousal sponsorship? Last year you mention starting it... and if you did, your spouse should now be going for landing in Canada.

avidrunner

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
What happen to your outland spousal sponsorship? Last year you mention starting it... and if you did, your spouse should now be going for landing in Canada.
Hey thanks for checking in —
We are still waiting to receive the police report from the Egyptian embassy in Kuala Lumpur. From what they have informed it may take 3 months. The embassy also does not have a record on file to show that we already submitted for the police report through them. So due to this we are now looking at the following two options:
- Inland spousal sponsorship, starting with travel visa until spouse is able to work, but how long on travel visa not sure yet
- Skilled worker express entry for my spouse, followed by inland spousal sponsorship after landing in Canada

Any additional delays to expect for Quebec?

Our desired travel date from Kuala Lumpur to Montreal is summer 2021. If there are other options we have not considered we will certainly look at them as well. I will be applying to study at Concordia University when admissions open in October of this year, to begin studies September 2021.

I understand there is a way for foreign students on Student Visa to allow their spouse to accompany them with a work permit, and fairly quickly, but from what I understand that expedited work permit is only available to the spouse of applicants coming to Canada on Student Visa.

It will be the first time to Quebec for both of us, however I am a born Canadian to Toronto and have lived most of my life in BC. If there is anything I am missing here or left out please feel free to let me know. I seem to recall something about 13-15 months wait time for Quebec, but have a feeling that is for Outland spousal sponsorships only. A bit longer wait time compared to other provinces for whatever reason.

Montreal is definitely the place I have in my heart, for the school and for the quality of life. I haven’t been there yet but I know I will love it. To us it’s worth whatever the extra hassle is.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the other two routes also requires you to submit the PCC. So make no difference.

As a Canadian citizen, why don't you find out Montreal alone?

avidrunner

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
I think the other two routes also requires you to submit the PCC. So make no difference.

As a Canadian citizen, why don't you find out Montreal alone?
The police report we are trying to get is for my spouse, she lived in Egypt for a while after moving there from Algeria. Is that what you mean by PCC and make no difference? Or that it makes no difference?
Yeah, Montreal does seem like the one place for us to focus on. Skilled worker express entry is not avilable right now due to Covid, but maybe next year it will open back up for that one. For the time being we are looking at inland spousal sponsorship and wondering how the Quebec Selection Certficate plays a role, and if we need to apply for that before or after landing in Canada?

lostinquebec

Feb 8, 2019
The police report we are trying to get is for my spouse, she lived in Egypt for a while after moving there from Algeria. Is that what you mean by PCC and make no difference? Or that it makes no difference?
Yeah, Montreal does seem like the one place for us to focus on. Skilled worker express entry is not avilable right now due to Covid, but maybe next year it will open back up for that one. For the time being we are looking at inland spousal sponsorship and wondering how the Quebec Selection Certficate plays a role, and if we need to apply for that before or after landing in Canada?
Be adviced that the skilled worker express entry program is not applicable if you intend to reside at Quebec. Getting the CSQ (Quebec Selection Certficate) before PR is a must if you plan to live in Montreal.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html#where