+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! What's the process of BC PNP? How long does it take?

hannayangyang

May 3, 2013
My husband just got a job offer from an IT company in Vancouver B.C. and the employer promised to apply for BC PNP for him. (We are currently outside Canada). The employer said the whole process before he could get P.R. only takes around 12 weeks. Does it make sense or did he misunderstand? I checked CIC website and it shows it takes at least 10 months for CIC to process the nominee certificate. We are very confused now... Should we wait outside of Canada until his PR is approved or should he apply for a work permit first and wait for PR inside Canada while working?

Another question is, can I go with him if he only gets a work permit? Am I allowed to work in Canada? Or should I also need a work permit? Is it easier to obtain a work permit when I'm in Canada?

Could anyone help? Thank you so much!!!

joeb123

Jun 21, 2010
- The approval from provincial authorities takes about a month.
- After that he will apply for a work permit and get a work permit. He can also apply for PR at the same time.
- With these applications he needs to add you as his wife.
- and apply an open work permit and TRV for you as well.
- You will both come to Canada on a Visa (depending on what visa office you apply and where you are from the visa can take anywhere from 5 days to 3 months) so he can start working. The PR process is at least a year.
- So get his and yours visa first, then think about the PR.

hannayangyang

May 3, 2013
Thank you so much Joeb! This is very clear!

Do you know for how long the work permit will be valid? Does a nominee certificate guarantee a PR? And can he change a job when he is waiting for PR approval? Thanks a lot!

Buleg

Mar 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2013
Nomination.....
30-05-2013 LOA dated 10-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-10-2013 thru email
IELTS Request
Already submitted
File Transfer...
11-09-13
Med's Request
21-11-13
Med's Done....
27-11-13 results submitted//add'l med req 01-13-2014 submitted 1-30-14
Interview........
Ecas "in process 2-18-2014"
Passport Req..
08-04-2014 (Apr. 27, '14 ecas changed to decision made)
LANDED..........
22-03-2014 entered as TFW under YNP/May,22,'14 Landed as Immigrant
hannayangyang said:
My husband just got a job offer from an IT company in Vancouver B.C. and the employer promised to apply for BC PNP for him. (We are currently outside Canada). The employer said the whole process before he could get P.R. only takes around 12 weeks. Does it make sense or did he misunderstand? I checked CIC website and it shows it takes at least 10 months for CIC to process the nominee certificate. We are very confused now... Should we wait outside of Canada until his PR is approved or should he apply for a work permit first and wait for PR inside Canada while working?

Another question is, can I go with him if he only gets a work permit? Am I allowed to work in Canada? Or should I also need a work permit? Is it easier to obtain a work permit when I'm in Canada?

Could anyone help? Thank you so much!!!
Hi,

BC PNP approval will take 8-12weeks from receipt of a complete application. Processing times will increase with the volume of applications received. If your husband's work is NOC 0, A & B you can accompany him to Canada, only skilled works are allowed to bring their dependents.

You can read further about BC PNP thru this link: http://www.welcomebc.ca/pnp .

After you have been nominated by a province or territory, you must make a separate application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence. A CIC officer will then assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations it will take 6-12 months depends on the visa office where you submitted your applications. Approved nominees will be nominated for permanent residency and, if needed, a letter of recommendation for use by the nominee to obtain a temporary work permit to facilitate temporary entry to Canada while the permanent residency processing takes place.

HTH :)

bertoshea

Feb 21, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
11-16-2012
AOR Received.
04-03-2013
Med's Request
04-05-2013
Med's Done....
04-17-2013
LANDED..........
Already here
I'm about 8 months into the BCPNP/PR process.

The PNP application for me took 10 weeks to complete, it can take anywhere up to 13 or 14 weeks apparently.

When you recieve your PNP acceptance if you don't have an existing Visa or you have less than 4 months left on your existing visa then the PNP office will issue you a letter supporting your application for a temporary working visa. This allows you to work for the company sponsoring your PNP while you're waiting for Permanent Residency (PR) to be approved.

When you have this letter you can apply on line for a Visa (current timeline available from CIC website), or you can go to a Canadian border and get your visa at the border immediately (this is what I did). The letter is not a guarantee of a visa it's entirely down to the discretion of the CIC border agent that you're dealing with. The Visa can be for 1, 2 or 3 years, again at the discretion of the border agent. I got a one year visa, a couple of my buddys got 2 years, noone recieved a 3 year visa. The visa only allows you to work in the province and for the company specified on the visa. Any dependents i.e. you hannyangyang :) recieve an open work permit, you can work anywhere and for anyone. It costs bout 150$ each for the visas.

This Visa is effectively a bridging visa while you're waiting for CIC to process your permanent residency application. The PR process timeline varies greatly depending on a great number of factors, I'm hoping to get mine in 7 or 8 months. Police Clearance certificates can hold you back significantly timewise as different jurisdictions take varying times to process, you don't need them for your PNP application but you will need them for the PR application so it's worth applying early.

Nominee certificate or the Letter of Acceptance as they are known are not guarantees of acceptance, but it's unlikely you'd be refused and you're PR application is processed significantly faster then other streams.

I don't know how hard it would be to change jobs while waiting for PR approval as I haven't had to. However I do know someone who was able to change employers where the employer was making unreasonable demands of the employee.

O and lastly I'm in Vancouver and it's a great city to live in, though it's terribly expensive :)

Feel free to PM any other questions

Edit:
Lol while typing Buleg beat me to most of the points I was making above.

Buleg

Mar 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-07-2013
Nomination.....
30-05-2013 LOA dated 10-05-2013
AOR Received.
16-10-2013 thru email
IELTS Request
Already submitted
File Transfer...
11-09-13
Med's Request
21-11-13
Med's Done....
27-11-13 results submitted//add'l med req 01-13-2014 submitted 1-30-14
Interview........
Ecas "in process 2-18-2014"
Passport Req..
08-04-2014 (Apr. 27, '14 ecas changed to decision made)
LANDED..........
22-03-2014 entered as TFW under YNP/May,22,'14 Landed as Immigrant
bertoshea said:

The PNP application for me took 10 weeks to complete, it can take anywhere up to 13 or 14 weeks apparently.

When you recieve your PNP acceptance if you don't have an existing Visa or you have less than 4 months left on your existing visa then the PNP office will issue you a letter supporting your application for a temporary working visa. This allows you to work for the company sponsoring your PNP while you're waiting for Permanent Residency (PR) to be approved.

When you have this letter you can apply on line for a Visa (current timeline available from CIC website), or you can go to a Canadian border and get your visa at the border immediately (this is what I did). The letter is not a guarantee of a visa it's entirely down to the discretion of the CIC border agent that you're dealing with. The Visa can be for 1, 2 or 3 years, again at the discretion of the border agent. I got a one year visa, a couple of my buddys got 2 years, noone recieved a 3 year visa. The visa only allows you to work in the province and for the company specified on the visa. Any dependents i.e. you hannyangyang :) recieve an open work permit, you can work anywhere and for anyone. It costs bout 150$ each for the visas.

This Visa is effectively a bridging visa while you're waiting for CIC to process your permanent residency application. The PR process timeline varies greatly depending on a great number of factors, I'm hoping to get mine in 7 or 8 months. Police Clearance certificates can hold you back significantly timewise as different jurisdictions take varying times to process, you don't need them for your PNP application but you will need them for the PR application so it's worth applying early.

Nominee certificate or the Letter of Acceptance as they are known are not guarantees of acceptance, but it's unlikely you'd be refused and you're PR application is processed significantly faster then other streams.

I don't know how hard it would be to change jobs while waiting for PR approval as I haven't had to. However I do know someone who was able to change employers where the employer was making unreasonable demands of the employee.

O and lastly I'm in Vancouver and it's a great city to live in, though it's terribly expensive :)

Edit:
LOL, my post is just 4 minutes earlier...Well said bertoshea :)

hannayangyang

May 3, 2013
Buleg said:
Hi,

BC PNP approval will take 8-12weeks from receipt of a complete application. Processing times will increase with the volume of applications received. If your husband's work is NOC 0, A & B you can accompany him to Canada, only skilled works are allowed to bring their dependents.

You can read further about BC PNP thru this link:.

After you have been nominated by a province or territory, you must make a separate application to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) for permanent residence. A CIC officer will then assess your application based on Canadian immigration regulations it will take 6-12 months depends on the visa office where you submitted your applications. Approved nominees will be nominated for permanent residency and, if needed, a letter of recommendation for use by the nominee to obtain a temporary work permit to facilitate temporary entry to Canada while the permanent residency processing takes place.

HTH :)
Thank you soooo much Buleg!! Your answer helps us a lot!!! :)

hannayangyang

May 3, 2013
bertoshea said:

Edit:
This is really great! Thank you so much Bertoshea!!! I hope your application is proved sooooon! Were you in Vancouver? Are you still there? Is Vancouver very much more expensive than big cities like Toronto / Ottawa? Good luck!

sdalwadi

May 2, 2013
I am new for this there'd
I have one question for BC PNP skill.worker application
LMO is required? (2)Job approval letter required?
Please reply me
Iam going to apply for BC PMP
Thanks In advance