+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help Urgent---Valid WP and Visa but no Job, can i exit and re-enter?

londonOntario

Star Member
Jan 14, 2010
Brampton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I have a valid work permit for 2 years and a valid visa for 2 years on my passport.
My engagement is planned in India next month in November 2011 and i just lost my job.
If i exit Canada and come back with my valid visa and WP for current employer who has already laid me off, can i re-enter?
Can i tell the border officer that i have a visa i am going to look for employment with other employers and i have lots of money to support me?
My CEC PR is also expected to come in 6-8 months from now around May 2012.
Seniors please advise, this is a critical situation.

androme

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
02-10-2012
If you were on an open work permit you can def re-enter. If you were on closed WP, then I beleive your status depends on the availability of the job that you got the permit for. If you lose the job you lose the status. So please be careful before you leave the country. HAving said that, if you have 2 years of visa and WP how is the border security officials at the port going to know if you ahve lost the job or not? Maybe your employer might have to report the CIC that you have been laid off.

Waz

Sep 18, 2011
If you look at your permit you will most likely see, "does not authorize re-entry"

You have been granted TRS Temporary Resident status until the expiry of the work permit. If you loose your job you are still a temporary resident (visitor) until you leave Canada, permit expires or found to be Inadmissible by immigration.

If you leave Canada you risk not being readmitted by the border services officer. In most cases BSO do not have issues with persons returning with valid work permits and may not even ask if you are still employed. There is always a change you could be recalled.

Iwanttoimmigrate

Star Member
Jul 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-09-2013
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-05-2014
LANDED..........
17-05-2014
londonOntario said:
Hi,
I have a valid work permit for 2 years and a valid visa for 2 years on my passport.
My engagement is planned in India next month in November 2011 and i just lost my job.
If i exit Canada and come back with my valid visa and WP for current employer who has already laid me off, can i re-enter?
Can i tell the border officer that i have a visa i am going to look for employment with other employers and i have lots of money to support me?
My CEC PR is also expected to come in 6-8 months from now around May 2012.
Seniors please advise, this is a critical situation.
Hi,

Check the CounterFoil in your Passport. "No. of Entries" should be "Multiple" for you to come back. Also do verify with Immigration Canada or any consultant before you take step.

Cheers,

butterflies

Jan 4, 2012
Hello LondonOntario,

I have the same situation. Are you back in your hometown? Did you find out if you can leave and come back to Canada?

Anyone with other information please help. Thanks.