+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Help - Passport Expiring during application process

JesusL

Mar 5, 2012
Hi,

I have been doing a little bit of research through the forum but couldn't find any topic that could help me with my situation, so I am gonna bring it up here and see it I can get any help. Also, I got in touch with the Ottawa office (the one that request the medical examination) through mail and didn't get any feedback. I called the CIC call center and their answers where kind of vague (you should, you could) but nothing formal. The only office I didn't get in touch is Buffalo, the one that is processing my application, basically because when you start the process they say very clearly to don't call them about the application.

That being said, here is my case: Basically my application is "in progress", I sent my medical examination 10 weeks ago and the office received it around 8 weeks ago or that's what the status of my application says. My concern is that my passport (and therefore my working visa) is expiring next August and I don't know if I am suppose to renew the passport it before getting my PR card or afterwards.
Another issue is the fact that, whenever I go to renew my passport to Toronto (I am a Spanish citizen, no embassy or consulate in Vancouver) I will be able to keep the old one just to fly back home but afterwards I will have to mail it to the embassy in order to get the new one activated. So looks like I won't have any passport for around 5 weeks, that is the time that takes to get the new one from Spain.

So these are my questions:

1. Am I able to renew my passport in the middle of the process ?
2. Will I have any issues with the expiring date or whatever stands out as a difference between the old one and the new one ?
3. What could happen if I get my passport renew and right after I am asked to go and pick my PR Card to the border and don't have the new passport yet ?
4. What could I do if I don't get my PR card before my Working Visa expires ? Is it possible to ask for any short of temporal extension ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jesus

JesusL

Mar 5, 2012
JesusL said:
Hi,

I have been doing a little bit of research through the forum but couldn't find any topic that could help me with my situation, so I am gonna bring it up here and see it I can get any help. Also, I got in touch with the Ottawa office (the one that request the medical examination) through mail and didn't get any feedback. I called the CIC call center and their answers where kind of vague (you should, you could) but nothing formal. The only office I didn't get in touch is Buffalo, the one that is processing my application, basically because when you start the process they say very clearly to don't call them about the application.

That being said, here is my case: Basically my application is "in progress", I sent my medical examination 10 weeks ago and the office received it around 8 weeks ago or that's what the status of my application says. My concern is that my passport (and therefore my working visa) is expiring next August and I don't know if I am suppose to renew the passport it before getting my PR card or afterwards.
Another issue is the fact that, whenever I go to renew my passport to Toronto (I am a Spanish citizen, no embassy or consulate in Vancouver) I will be able to keep the old one just to fly back home but afterwards I will have to mail it to the embassy in order to get the new one activated. So looks like I won't have any passport for around 5 weeks, that is the time that takes to get the new one from Spain.

2. Will I have any issues with the expiring date or whatever stands out as a difference between the old one and the new one ?
3. What could happen if I get my passport renew and right after I am asked to go and pick my PR Card to the border and don't have the new passport yet ?
4. What could I do if I don't get my PR card before my Working Visa expires ? Is it possible to ask for any short of temporal extension ?

Jesus
Does anybody have any clue about this ?
Any help will be very appreciated.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JesusL said:

Jesus
I'll my best to answer - based on my experience. Still the best way is thru CIC and clarify with them your questions. Each situation has it own peculiarities...
1. The VO handling your case should be notified of any change in any of your status/docs - if you change your passport, you have to notify them using your UCI/Application Number such that they correlate the change with your current application
2. The important thing is that between the expiring date and your new date, you should have legal status in Canada if you are staying/working here.
3. That is always going to be a risk - and this is not too common. It does not hurt to inform CIC that you are currently renewing your passport and do not have possession of the new one when you are summoned to go to the border to get your PR stamp. They will instruct you on what you need to do.
4. Typically if your working visa expires, it also may include expiry of your temporary residence status. In this case, you don't have current legal status to work and stay in Canada (even while your PR application is being processed) and need to leave/exit the country. You need to reapply/renew your working visa and have legal status here. I suggest you do it before your current expiry as even if your visa expires but you have a renewal application - you have implied status to continue to work and stay here until you get the results of your extension application.

hope this helps....

JesusL

Mar 5, 2012
Hey ragluf,

Thanks for your answer. Overall, that was my idea about how to proceed, but with the lack of information and response from the official sources I wanted to give it a different shot.

By the way, I just noticed (didn't read one of the mails properly) that my file was transfer to Ottawa, that's the reason they requested the medical examination from there.

Your application is part of a group of files that has been transferred from the Buffalo visa office to the Case Processing Pilot-Ottawa (“CPP-O”) office to speed up the creation and processing of your application. All enquiries and correspondence must be addressed to the CPP-O office, unless directed otherwise.

Please note the file number assigned to your file at the top of this message. You must quote this file number in any future correspondence.

Processing time

Applications for permanent residence in Canada in the category that you have applied to require on average 10 months to process at this office. If you have not received any instructions from this office by 120 days from the date of this letter, you are requested to contact this office directly.
I received this mail in mid october so I sent them a mail explaining my situation a week ago and didn't get any feedback yet. I don't know if I should call them, send them another mail or just wait.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you sent your letter to Ottawa (the new CPP-O) then kindly wait a little bit. A lot of threads have been benchmarking the processing time it takes with the transfer to Ottawa. Unfortunately, if you read their correspondences, CIC is not obliged nor required to respond to inquiries. If you send them a letter again, use registered mail. Then at least you can track it whenn it is received.

Good luck!

marco.borsoi

Oct 1, 2014
Hi JesusL,

I came across this post because I am in the same situation as you were. Could you please tell me how did you solve the problem with the passport expiration during the PR process?

Thanks!

yunizar72

Oct 21, 2012
JesusL said:
Hi,

Jesus
yes I have problem with your case... let me know if your problem has been solved....

hallowen84

Nov 3, 2015
marco.borsoi said:
Hi JesusL,

I came across this post because I am in the same situation as you were. Could you please tell me how did you solve the problem with the passport expiration during the PR process?

Thanks!
Hi,

I had this kind of situation before, that time I did nothing until they received my medical result and they sent me additional letter asking to update my current passport. Each case is different so it's better to call cic right away. Hope it will help you a bit

htokyo

Jun 26, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
MVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2015
AOR Received.
02-09-2015
Med's Request
15-10-2015
Med's Done....
26-10-2015 (medical results received)
Passport Req..
24-02-2016 (DM 26-02-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP submitted Feb 29, visa received Mar 18
LANDED..........
28-07-2016
JesusL said:

1. Am I able to renew my passport in the middle of the process ? Yes
2. Will I have any issues with the expiring date or whatever stands out as a difference between the old one and the new one ? No, you won't have any issue with new passport number or the expiring date. After getting new passport, you have to keep CIC updated by sending a case specific enquiry to CIC
3. What could happen if I get my passport renew and right after I am asked to go and pick my PR Card to the border and don't have the new passport yet ? As far as I understand, you are waiting for PR approval. In such a case, you won't get PR card, instead COPR (as you are coming from a visa exempt country). In COPR, your identity information will be mentioned together with travel document details (in this case it is your new passport). Having said that, it means you have to update CIC with your new passport details so that they will issue COPR accordingly. Then you will have to go through landing formality with COPR. After landing (you have become PR), your PR card will be sent to you around 72 days later.

Follow ragluf's recommendation - apply for a renewal of WP, but do not do it so early (your WP expiry date is Aug 2016). The reason is that while you are waiting for the response for the renewal from the authority (accept or reject), you are under implied status and therefore you can still stay and wait for the result of PR :D

Jesus

Reactions: shipping

vmanojk123

Aug 3, 2018
quick question. Due to passport renewal, do I need to go for medical exams again. My medical is valid till Jan 2020. Passport got renewed just now.