+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Father's name misspelled on passport

ddeep91

Jun 20, 2019
Hey everyone,
we are applying for Spousal sponsorship
My wife is in India (PA) I am in Canada (Sponsor)

We are stuck and need some help

my wife's father name is Harjit

on my wife's passport, it says "Harjeet" which is misspelled.

our marriage certificate has the correct name: Harjit
all her other documents like School certificates, birth certificate, etc... has the correct name as well "Harjit".

Can someone please help us with this?
can we just Write Harjit in the application and attach an explanation letter saying that on passport it is misspelled. what is the process would it affect our application in any way?

Thank you

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
Hey everyone,
we are applying for Spousal sponsorship
My wife is in India (PA) I am in Canada (Sponsor)

We are stuck and need some help

my wife's father name is Harjit

on my wife's passport, it says "Harjeet" which is misspelled.

our marriage certificate has the correct name: Harjit
all her other documents like School certificates, birth certificate, etc... has the correct name as well "Harjit".

Can someone please help us with this?
can we just Write Harjit in the application and attach an explanation letter saying that on passport it is misspelled. what is the process would it affect our application in any way?

Thank you
You need to bring this up with your immigration passport office, they will need to provide you with a new passport with the correct name this time... They (IRCC) will match the name in the passport with your birth certificate name. So, I suggest you send everything with an explanation and you will submit the new passport with the correct info once it's received.

ddeep91

Jun 20, 2019
You need to bring this up with your immigration passport office, they will need to provide you with a new passport with the correct name this time... They (IRCC) will match the name in the passport with your birth certificate name. So, I suggest you send everything with an explanation and you will submit the new passport with the correct info once it's received.
she went there and they want to charge money to charge over 400$ for that to be corrected which I think is not right?
so we have any other option?

StephanH

Feb 20, 2019
Category........
she went there and they want to charge money to charge over 400$ for that to be corrected which I think is not right?
so we have any other option?
HUH that's ridiculous, it's their mistake or your mistake? When you filled out the application, did you put the correct name HARJIT on the passport application? If it's your mistake then you will need to pay the fees for passport replacement. 400.00 ? That is pure robbery. Is that the amount posted or they are they are doing corruption?

Let's see what other people have to say on this? I would think that better you have the correct name on the passport to prevent any problems a long the way.

ddeep91

Jun 20, 2019
That is pure robbery. Is that the amount posted or they are they are doing corruption?

Let's see what other people have to say on this? I would think that better you have the correct name on the passport to prevent any problems a long the way.
It might be the mistake on her end.
I'm sure it does not cost that much to have father's name corrected on the passport, but she went today and they told her it will cost "22,000rs" which is about $423.00 CAD. to have the passport reissued.

I also hear we can get an "affidavit" stating Harjeet and harjit is the same person and attach it with our applicaiton. Is that correct?