+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

HELP! Allowed to Leave Canada form

longobongo

Mar 18, 2014
The wedding that I am attending in Sudbury is that of my boyfriend's sister. Would my boyfriend's name be listed in the report that was written up when the officer denied me entry? My boyfriend was going to offer to write the letter of invitation, but if it would not look credible since he was present when I was denied entry, I would rather someone else write it (or maybe even not provide one, if it would seem as if my boyfriend were trying to assist me into getting into the country to stay longer than allowed)?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
longobongo said:
The wedding that I am attending in Sudbury is that of my boyfriend's sister. Would my boyfriend's name be listed in the report that was written up when the officer denied me entry? My boyfriend was going to offer to write the letter of invitation, but if it would not look credible since he was present when I was denied entry, I would rather someone else write it (or maybe even not provide one, if it would seem as if my boyfriend were trying to assist me into getting into the country to stay longer than allowed)?
No way to know if his name was put into the report.

It's not his wedding and you're not staying with him (or at the very least, you're telling them that you'll be staying with someone else), so regardless of whether his name is in the report, he's not the best choice to write the letter. Have your hosts or the bride write the invitation; you could even ask the bride for an invitation letter and your hosts for a separate letter confirming they will provide your food, accommodation and transport.

longobongo

Mar 18, 2014
Thank you all so much for your responses. I have one more question. I realize my mistake was me telling the border officer that we intended to become common-law. I didn't really show that I had intentions to leave, but is this considered non-compliance? The border officer did say that he knew that we were not intending to manipulate the law, that we did think we were doing this the right way.

longobongo

Mar 18, 2014
Thanks so much for all your responses everyone. Is a second denial worth a harsher penalty? If I am denied a second time because my documentation isn't established for long enough, would I face a harsher penalty?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
longobongo said:
Thanks so much for all your responses everyone. Is a second denial worth a harsher penalty? If I am denied a second time because my documentation isn't established for long enough, would I face a harsher penalty?
No.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If it's a straight denial of entry - then no - the penalty won't be harsher.

Officials do have the power to issue exclusion orders which ban an individual from entering Canada for one year. It's rare these are issued and you shouldn't be at risk. However if it looks like things are going towards a denial - just take the denial politely and don't argue. In the 2-3 cases I've seen on this forum where an exlusion order was issued to someone from the US, it was for situations where the individual ended up arguing with the immigration official and things went south from there.

longobongo

Mar 18, 2014
Thank you both for your responses! I have no intentions of arguing with the Border Officer, I understand it's their job to make sure laws are followed, even in such cases where someone didn't mean to break the law :( Is my situation considered Non-Compliance? I did not overstay at any point, but I did admit that my intentions for visiting (and my previous visit's intentions, in essence) were to become common-law with my partner. If I am denied on the grounds that I have not supplied sufficient documentation / my documentation is too "new" to be considered sufficient, will two denials make it even more difficult to enter a third time?

Thank you guys so much for answering all my questions. I just want to understand the risks of re-entering at the start of May (excluding the wasted time/money on travelling).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes - two administrative denials will likely make it more difficult to enter the next time.

longobongo

Mar 18, 2014
Just a quick update to anyone following the thread: this morning at 4AM I was admitted entry to Canada for the weekend. I travelled by Greyhound and the IO was very understanding. She did not want to give me a Visitor Record because she personally didn't feel comfortable with how Greyhound handles that (they just dump people at the Canadian border and head to US Customs, sometimes they leave before the people on the Canadian side reach the bus again). However she did say that she was making a note in my file that the next time I attempt to enter again I need to prove that I did leave Canada on the date I said I was going to. Is this essentially the same thing as a Visitor Record? If I were to stay until Monday rather than Sunday, would this be considered overstaying?

Thanks so much everyone for all your help. :)

Edit: Just to be clear there is NO stamp in my passport at all.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunny2710 said:
Yes true, I extended my stay last year for purpose of becoming common-law with my partner and CIC gave us the necessary time :)
If they apply for a LEGAL extension. Not sneaking around.

Is this essentially the same thing as a Visitor Record? If I were to stay until Monday rather than Sunday, would this be considered overstaying?
Yes and yes.

longobongo

Mar 18, 2014
Thanks for your response Regina! Does anyone have any ideas what could be used as proof that I've left the country? I mean, it's not a huge deal, since I'll be leaving Sunday until at least summer-time, but when that time comes, what would be considered sufficient proof that I left the country? I have my return tickets, but I'm not sure I get to keep them and I'm not sure how that really proves I definitely DID leave.

Thanks again everyone, happy to be back in Canada for the weekend to get things sorted out on this end. :)

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone have any ideas what could be used as proof that I've left the country?
1. Is your passport stamped every time when you enter US? 2. I know Canada and US share info about immigrants, so because you have such a restriction in CBSA system Canada could "ask" US when you entered US?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
txboyscout said:
mAY 3RD is about 6 weeks from the time you were denied entry into Canada. In my personal opnion, that is not enough time to show you have established yourself in the States. However, it depends on the officer you encounter. They may decide to let you in or they may deny you entry again. It is up to you to decide if that is a risk you want to take
This isn't entirely true. Getting an order to voluntarily leave is not a very serious offense, and technically, as long as the person provides proof of significant ties to their country, they can try to re-enter the next day. The main point is they want to see the proof. It is quite possible to get a job offer and establish a new residence in 6 weeks. If you want to go for a short trip for a wedding, then all you need to do is make sure you have ALL that information with you, as well as a return ticket, and make sure they know you are only going there for your friend's wedding. Show them the invitation and any hotel bookings you have. The want to see that return ticket. If you don't have one, then that will be cause for concern. Do not make any references about working in Canada, and if you have emails or texts about it on your phone/computer ERASE them before you get to the border. They have absolute right to go through EVERYTHING! Of course there is always the chance of being denied. ALWAYS answer their questions truthfully. If there are notes in the system about you, they are asking you questions they already know the answer to. If they ask about your intentions with your boyfriend, be honest. They want to know you are giving them consistent answers. They will know you complied with them. Most likely, they will issue you a visitor pass that specifically states you are not allowed to work or study, and have a specific date you have to leave by. They may even require you to "check out" on your way back home.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Regina said:
1. Is your passport stamped every time when you enter US? 2. I know Canada and US share info about immigrants, so because you have such a restriction in CBSA system Canada could "ask" US when you entered US?
Yes, canada and US now share entry information - I was told this by a border agent when i asked him - this is a new thing. If you travel back by Greyhound, then just keep your ticket (or confirmation/receipt), and receipts for meals on the way back. Make sure to buy something that day in the states, so they know you left when you were suppose to.