+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Hello, I'm from china and I really want to start my career in Canada...

Mulberry7

Jun 27, 2013
Let me just come straight to the point, here are some of my current condition:

1 I've just graduated from colleage(major in journalism) of China for 2 years;
2 I have about 2 years working experiences, one year in a video & film studio, and currently working in a national news website as editor group leader...
3 I have a family relative currently lived in Ontario as pernamental permanent resident and she inspire me to go to work in canada...
4 I've sent many resumes from workopolis and JobBank, but the result is just depressing...almost none of them replied...
5 My skills are just "comprehensive"(miscellaneous, I'd like to say...)

I'll take IELTS test in july 27, and I can do 7+ in practise of cambrige IELTS exercrise series (cause I work as volunteer of some kind of translation group in extracurricular time during college, and I worked with some english speaking staff in the first year of my career).

Meanwhile, I decide to really do the job that I like and have some kind of aptitude on, so I start learning Android App design, with previous program learning experience, I worked quite will till now.

I know it sounds quite unpractical for some one like me to successfully get a job offer from canadian empolyer...

But here are some of my incentives:
1 By being unique...Like show the empolyers some interesting App that I made...hopefully I can draw some attention...
2 In chinese national company, if you're not act like "underling" , you'll be pushed aside...I really want a working enviornment that different ideas and critical thinking are welcomed...And you don't have to cope with people's relations and politcs all the time...
3 For some personal reasons...I really want to give my family and my offsprings a society that people believe justice and law...

So here is my plan:
I know a canadian employer must pay great effort to deal with legal procedure to successfully recruit a foreign worker...And unless I get a work permit, I'm illegal to work in Canada, So my plan is to go to canada as visitor bring my works(like some novel App that could be put into market after some polish with help of company), try to persuade empolyers face to face, and if I successfully obtain a job offer, I'll get back to my nation and deal with those legal procedure...

Here are some of the questions..
1 I have competely no idea about how LMO(labour market opinion) work, I mean, if I can show some unique traits in some way, (and of course, be capable to the job), Will i get a positive opinion from LMO?
2 Are learning abilities the consideration of canada empolyer? I mean currently I may have no any tremendous and outstanding achievement, I did not stop learning after I left school, and obtain a soild understanding of skills like photoshop, html/css stuff... which really makes me make up my mind was that when I told my girlfriend about this idea and my confusion...my girlfriend just told me that "you can do so well even in a field that you do not like and are not welcomed, why are you afraid of doing what you like? "

PS: I get most of the information about the immigrant and work stuff from this article(really comprehensive and partical)
Applying for Canadian Jobs From Outside Canada.(search that at google)

What I said might in lack of coherence cause now I know the where the target is, but competely have know idea where is right way....

But anyway, I'll just keep working hard...maybe eventually I'll fail but I know one more word I remember and one more skill I learn, I get one step closer to the life I really want...

Thanks in advance for anyone answering the question :)

karykuan

Nov 6, 2012
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I apologize in advance if I sound negative or rather rude. I don't think you stand a chance of getting a job here in canada without a 'canada' recognizable diploma/certification, let alone a colledge/university degree which I assume you don't have since you mentioned your 2 year schooling. Correct me if I am wrong, but even my hairdresser have to go to a beauty school for 2 years in order to work properly at a salon. My best advice for you would be applying a canadian colledge, majoring whatever you decided for your career in Canada once graduated, this could be a degree or simply a certification, some program only takes you 1 year or even less then that. Having some school here can help you assist your job hunting more than you could imagine, think about the school friends you made, the networking and the job information sharing. If you just come here as a visitor with "ZERO" actually envolvement with any Canada culture other than job hunting, I don't think you will succeed. Side notes, IELTS 7+ is a solid criteria when applying immigration, everyone has to pass it in order to be considered as an applicant, it does not mean anything.

HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK.

Mulberry7

Jun 27, 2013
karykuan said:
I apologize in advance if I sound negative or rather rude. I don't think you stand a chance of getting a job here in canada without a 'canada' recognizable diploma/certification, let alone a colledge/university degree which I assume you don't have since you mentioned your 2 year schooling. Correct me if I am wrong, but even my hairdresser have to go to a beauty school for 2 years in order to work properly at a salon. My best advice for you would be applying a canadian colledge, majoring whatever you decided for your career in Canada once graduated, this could be a degree or simply a certification, some program only takes you 1 year or even less then that. Having some school here can help you assist your job hunting more than you could imagine, think about the school friends you made, the networking and the job information sharing. If you just come here as a visitor with "ZERO" actually envolvement with any Canada culture other than job hunting, I don't think you will succeed. Side notes, IELTS 7+ is a solid criteria when applying immigration, everyone has to pass it in order to be considered as an applicant, it does not mean anything.

HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK.
Great thanks for answering my question! Looks like I misuse some the words...by the way, I didn't spend much words on my educational background because so far as I think that educational background is not critical to get a job in Canada...(obviously I'm wrong)...so here is my whole educational background

I completed a four-year full-time bachelor's degree major in journalism and mass communication in one of the top 100 universities in china(but that major is not my bent..) ,and also get a certification of computer technology from computer science institute. For a practical consideration, I also obtained a Adobe certified designer certification from Adobe school. And currently I'm studying apps design to be ready to find such kind of jobs...(that's what I'm ready want to do from childhood!)

So here is what confused me: if I have zero working experiences but can show employers potential and traits, how much likely will I successfully get a job...i have great adaptability in both life and work, though my title in contrast is senior editor, accurately I'm doing something beyond this job like video editing, designing, and statistics of company employee in every last day of month...by applying programming and software engineering knowledge to practice to make shortcut, I save much time and labours in dealing with difficulties (but that's just not the way a Chinese national company like to take to cope with heavy workload...)

I quite confident about get assimilated by local culture, I travel around china from 2 years old, and vernacular of some territories are completely like in a foreign country...after stay in a place for a while, I believe i will be able to get involved into local hassles ;)

Thanks again greatly for answering my question!! Also a great chance to practicing English ;p

Mulberry7

Jun 27, 2013
But the way, no matter positive or negative, really appreciate to hear voices from people with experiences!!

karykuan

Nov 6, 2012
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Again, I am not saying you can't find a job, but I suggest you to strengthen your canadian bond. You do seem to have quite in dept experience, make sure you have at least 2 contactable references, it's required for most companies and institutes. Otherwise, it might sound weird but if you know anyone in your targeted canadian companies, you can ask them to arrange a network meeting with their HR or team leader for you. Talk to them in person will increase your chances if you are indeed what you describe yourself are. But, again, if just simply submitting resume and cover letter, the odds for you might not be ideal. I am not trying to be a buzz killer, I do believe people should always prepare for the worst and work your way up from their. PS> I know someone who had a really decent, well paid job in advertisement industry in China but still havn't find a matching position. Well, to insure your settlement start looking for job now, and ask around see if you know anyone who works in your area in canada, they can refer you.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Do you realize journalism is a dying career in North America? What jobs that are left will be fought over by qualified Canadians.

Mulberry7

Jun 27, 2013
amikety said:
Do you realize journalism is a dying career in North America? What jobs that are left will be fought over by qualified Canadians.
Partialy true, buddy ;) but It's a whole new topic, since it's one of my research subject in the university, I could give you a apporach to think about this situation;)
jounalists recession caused by what I called "commnication faculty replacement"(I don't know if it's precise in Enligh), because now almost everyone can produce news with help of something like powerful smartphone and rise of social network that tighten people by giving them more easy way to share information. So I made a prediction that in the furture, less people will work as journalist, but another kind of job I call it "information organizer" will emerge. And their duty is to collect & organize information with their professional assets. So if you like watching video in youtube you probably have noticed that there're bundle of such "products"(but currently most of them don't reach the professional standard, I mean professional about media is not just about knowledge assets but aslo way of how to express an idea) vary from cellphone evaluation to criticism & comment...So anyway my idea is that if there is recession in some industries, there's always 2 possibilities, first is that this industry is truely hopeless, and the other is that new form of industry is germing ;)

So basically I believe the media's development orientation is providing customer something they hard to see, or very unique perspective of how to look at it...

Mulberry7

Jun 27, 2013
karykuan said:
Again, I am not saying you can't find a job, but I suggest you to strengthen your canadian bond. You do seem to have quite in dept experience, make sure you have at least 2 contactable references, it's required for most companies and institutes. Otherwise, it might sound weird but if you know anyone in your targeted canadian companies, you can ask them to arrange a network meeting with their HR or team leader for you. Talk to them in person will increase your chances if you are indeed what you describe yourself are. But, again, if just simply submitting resume and cover letter, the odds for you might not be ideal. I am not trying to be a buzz killer, I do believe people should always prepare for the worst and work your way up from their. PS> I know someone who had a really decent, well paid job in advertisement industry in China but still havn't find a matching position. Well, to insure your settlement start looking for job now, and ask around see if you know anyone who works in your area in canada, they can refer you.
Thanks for the advise again!! :D

karykuan

Nov 6, 2012
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dude, I couldn't agree more, haha u really know when people are being delusional. Thesedays, even in canada, you need connections for any decent jobs.

amikety said:

Mulberry7

Jun 27, 2013
Hi guys, I accidently found this thread, I think I should have a sum up of what happened to me in 7 years.

For now I am going to Canada on end of Dec, and after 2 years of working I will have a CRS score of at least 490, if I maintain my current IELTS 7.0 score.

Basically, I change my job from a journlist to a programmer, and now I have 4 years of working experience, 2 of which is Android developer, and 2 years of which is algorithm engineer, and I will keep being a programmer in Canada.

Now I have enroled in Centennial College software enginner technology, this is almost the end of first semester, I feel pretty good, so far I got 2 A+, and there are 4 more courses waiting to be marked, I am expected to have 4 A+ and 2A in total.

It's never too late to start!