+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health insurance

Sentasi

Apr 4, 2021
Question,

I'm currently in Canada on an OWP. Originally entered Canada on IEC. When i applied for my current OWP, one of the conditions was proof of health insurance, because i had a IEC permit.

Soon i will be applying for a new OWP. Is proof of health insurance needed for the next one as well, or not, since i'm no longer on a IEC permit? I am insured, that's not the issue, just wondering if i need to include that again.

Sentasi

Apr 4, 2021
Thank you.

The checklist states: " if you are a participant in the International Experience Canada program, provide proof of health insurance covering the intended extension to your length of stay in Canada."

Just wondering if that would still apply to me. First time i applied for a OWP it did naturally, since i was a participant of the IEC. Now that i'm applying for a new OWP, it does not apply to me anymore, since i have an OWP? Aka i do not need to include proof of health insurance?

bian07

May 19, 2017
Are you applying for a another IEC work permit? If yes then you need health insurance.
If you apply for the owp that goes with inland spousal sponsorships then no, you don't need it, as already said.

It doesn't matter if you had the IEC work permit in the past, what matters is if you are applying for another IEC work permit now or not. If not, then you don't need health insurance.

Sentasi

Apr 4, 2021
No, i am not applying for another IEC work permit. I am applying for an OWP with the inland spousal sponsorship. For the second time, we withdrew the first application. Because i was an IEC participant the first time i applied for the OWP + spousal, i had to submit prove of health insurance.
Now that (i assume) i am no longer an IEC participant, but holder of an OWP, i do not need to submit prove of health insurance, correct? Sorry if i wasn't completely clear maybe, just want to make sure i submit the right documents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, i am not applying for another IEC work permit. I am applying for an OWP with the inland spousal sponsorship. For the second time, we withdrew the first application. Because i was an IEC participant the first time i applied for the OWP + spousal, i had to submit prove of health insurance.
Now that (i assume) i am no longer an IEC participant, but holder of an OWP, i do not need to submit prove of health insurance, correct? Sorry if i wasn't completely clear maybe, just want to make sure i submit the right documents.
No you don't need to provide proof. Whether you qualify for provincial coverage will depend on what province you live in.

May 20, 2023
When applying for an Open Work Permit (OWP) in Canada, the requirements and conditions can vary depending on the specific immigration program or category you are applying under. It's important to carefully review the application instructions and requirements provided by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to ensure compliance.

While I cannot provide an exhaustive answer without knowing the specific details of your case, it is generally a good idea to carefully review the application instructions and requirements for your new OWP application. If the requirement for proof of health insurance is not explicitly stated in the application instructions, it is possible that it may not be required for your new OWP application.

However, it's always advisable to maintain adequate health insurance coverage during your stay in Canada to protect yourself from unexpected medical expenses. Having health insurance not only safeguards your well-being but also demonstrates your preparedness and responsibility as an applicant.

To obtain accurate and up-to-date information regarding your specific circumstances and the requirements for your new OWP application, it is recommended to consult the official IRCC website, seek advice from a qualified immigration professional, or contact IRCC directly through their helpline or online channels. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and personalized guidance based on your situation.