elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there,
Just wondered how people manage with health care costs whilst waiting for their PR, especially now the waiting time is longer for outland London applicants. I'm living in Manitoba with my husband but only have basic health insurance for 2 months each visit to Canada. Anyone know any reasonable priced health care cover options in Canada?
Any advice would be helpful :)

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
elliebiz said:
Hi there,
Just wondered how people manage with health care costs whilst waiting for their PR, especially now the waiting time is longer for outland London applicants. I'm living in Manitoba with my husband but only have basic health insurance for 2 months each visit to Canada. Anyone know any reasonable priced health care cover options in Canada?
Any advice would be helpful :)
How do you even have coverage for 2 months?

While waiting for PR approval and without provincial healthcare, you need a travel emergency medical policy. You can compare some companies rates and purchase a policy here: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your reply and link to insurance cover plans. Will check that link out. I only have a basic annual travel insurance (which covers medical emergencies etc) that I bought when in the UK last year, which only covers for 60 day trips.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
elliebiz said:
Thanks for your reply and link to insurance cover plans. Will check that link out. I only have a basic annual travel insurance (which covers medical emergencies etc) that I bought when in the UK last year, which only covers for 60 day trips.
Be very cautious of any emergency travel plan from a UK (or any other foreign) provider. They will be expecting you are only temporarily visiting the country you are travelling to (Canada), so may demand you travel back home (to the UK) after any incident occurs, before they will start reimbursing you for any medical costs and to continue payments for ongoing medical care. Their goal is to get you back to your home country asap so your national/government health plan can kick in and they will be off the hook.

If you intend to stay in Canada long term as a visitor, it's much better to get a Canadian emergency medical policy.

elliebiz

Jan 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the advice. Will look into getting Canadian medical cover :)