+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B Dropbox at Vancouver - Timeline & Experience

abdmuq11

Jul 27, 2023
Sharing my timeline and experience in Vancouver for Dropbox. Dates maybe +/- 1

I went through a lot of pages and forums. Read all 160+ pages in the H1b dropbox in canada on this site. Please do your own research and not follow me as things could turn out differently for you. Hope this helps others.

1. To get Dropbox facility you have select when filling out the application for visa when asked If you're traveling from another country to apply for visa? You have to reply with No. If you reply with yes, you won't get dropbox as simple as that. I called the number from US multiple times and they said if you're canadian PR, you can write down as no. Even the help tool on that page says, Canadian permanent residents are considered as living in canada.

2. I completed my DS-160 in US itself and requested for instructions from US itself.

3. Got instructions in 2-3 days.

4. You can use your US license to pick up your passport. Whatever ID and information you put while filling out the application, you need that to pick up the passport. There is no connection at all with what you put in your DS-160. The address and name should match.

4. Flew to Canada on a Tuesday in May. Submitted documents on Wednesday before 12 PM because people said in this and other forum about when the delivery guy picks up your parcel. This didn't make a difference to me. It was only delivered and ready to pick up on Friday.

5. Next Monday, it showed picked up. At this point the visa status checker showed no status. In fact, putting in all correct details showed no profile or something like that. I typed in NA for two fields which was mentioned by someone and it still said no status. There's information below the fields which says if your application is before such and such date put NA.

6. Tuesday Visa status changed to Application received.

7. Wednesday it showed issued. I was surprised as there was nothing like Approved or something. Directly Issued.

8. Got email on friday about tracking information and that passport is picked up by canada post and estimated delivery was the coming Monday.

9. Passport was ready to pick up on Monday around 1 PM.

10. Not gonna say don't stress as all of us will but I feel if you're a canadian PR, might as well do it in Canada as it this point it looks like it is faster than doing it in India. Total business days for me from submitting passport and picking up were 8 days.

General remiders:

a. When you print in courier in certificate, it again asks for an address. But you can't put a US address there as country is filled as CA already. I used my brother's name and address who lives in vancouver. I thought it could be related to delivery of passport but it wasn't. I am not even sure why they ask for it. Use any Canadian address.

b. Address to send for embassy is written on the instructions. No other address. Canada Post people in Surrey knew the entire process and was helpful.

c. I paid 19 CAD for premium delivery to track application properly 28 CAD was for home delivery but didn't want to wait.

d. Documents I sent was same as documents mentioned in instructions. No additional documentation just for the sake of it. Just make sure all the documents are clearly visible.

e. Country of Permanent residence I kept it as USA. Some said to keep it as Canada and some as India. It was very ambiguous but the toolbar next to it when completing the visa application said country you are legally authorized to work. Personally I feel it could be US or Canada.

iriskandy

Star Member
Feb 13, 2023

I went through a lot of pages and forums. Read all 160+ pages in the H1b dropbox in canada on this site. Please do your own research and not follow me as things could turn out differently for you. Hope this helps others.

1. To get Dropbox facility you have select when filling out the application for visa when asked If you're traveling from another country to apply for visa? You have to reply with No. If you reply with yes, you won't get dropbox as simple as that. I called the number from US multiple times and they said if you're canadian PR, you can write down as no. Even the help tool on that page says, Canadian permanent residents are considered as living in canada.

2. I completed my DS-160 in US itself and requested for instructions from US itself.

4. You can use your US license to pick up your passport. Whatever ID and information you put while filling out the application, you need that to pick up the passport. There is no connection at all with what you put in your DS-160. The address and name should match.

4. Flew to Canada on a Tuesday in May. Submitted documents on Wednesday before 12 PM because people said in this and other forum about when the delivery guy picks up your parcel. This didn't make a difference to me. It was only delivered and ready to pick up on Friday.

5. Next Monday, it showed picked up. At this point the visa status checker showed no status. In fact, putting in all correct details showed no profile or something like that. I typed in NA for two fields which was mentioned by someone and it still said no status. There's information below the fields which says if your application is before such and such date put NA.

7. Wednesday it showed issued. I was surprised as there was nothing like Approved or something. Directly Issued.

8. Got email on friday about tracking information and that passport is picked up by canada post and estimated delivery was the coming Monday.

10. Not gonna say don't stress as all of us will but I feel if you're a canadian PR, might as well do it in Canada as it this point it looks like it is faster than doing it in India. Total business days for me from submitting passport and picking up were 8 days.

General remiders:

a. When you print in courier in certificate, it again asks for an address. But you can't put a US address there as country is filled as CA already. I used my brother's name and address who lives in vancouver. I thought it could be related to delivery of passport but it wasn't. I am not even sure why they ask for it. Use any Canadian address.

b. Address to send for embassy is written on the instructions. No other address. Canada Post people in Surrey knew the entire process and was helpful.

c. I paid 19 CAD for premium delivery to track application properly 28 CAD was for home delivery but didn't want to wait.

d. Documents I sent was same as documents mentioned in instructions. No additional documentation just for the sake of it. Just make sure all the documents are clearly visible.

e. Country of Permanent residence I kept it as USA. Some said to keep it as Canada and some as India. It was very ambiguous but the toolbar next to it when completing the visa application said country you are legally authorized to work. Personally I feel it could be US or Canada.
Thank you so much for taking time to elaborate and providing the detailed information. I will make sure to provide my updates as well so others can benefit from the information.

NNB18

May 10, 2022
Thank you for the detailed information.

General remiders:

theimmi1824

Jul 22, 2024
Sharing my H4 visa dropbox timeline at Vancouver consulate.

Jul 15 - dropped off my application package at Canada post in Surrey
Jul 16 - package ready for pickup at 8:30am
Jul 17 - package picked up at 10:30am (It seems to be true that they are picking up applications MWF)
Jul 17 - CEAC status changed to "Application Received" later in the afternoon
Jul 19 - Last updated date was refreshed, but status remained the same
Jul 22 - Received an email from consulate asking if I had used any other names in the past, which was strange since I had indicated NO for this question on the application form
Jul 22 - CEAC status changed to "Approved" later in the afternoon
Jul 23 - CEAC status changed to "Issued" in the morning
Jul 23 - Received shipment notification in afternoon

This is my fourth time going through this process at Vancouver consulate and a few things have evolved. Here are my tips:
- Drop off your package the day before MWF pickup days to shortern the overall processing time
- Additional documents you should consider providing even if not in their checklist: H1B holder's passport, travel history, i94, and employment verification. Last time, they asked me for a few of these over email delaying the process by ~2 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: nonpc23

nonpc23

Jul 12, 2024
Hey, I got the instruction today to courier in the documents for h1b. I have couple question on the required documents.
  • Receipt Number for your approved petition as it appears on your Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker Form I-129 or Notice of Action Form I-797 from USCIS (does not apply to H1B1 visa applicants). - Do I need to send original i797 or copy is fine?
  • Job offer from United States employer and a Certified Department of Labor approved application (applies to H1B1 visa applicants only). - Is it applies to H1b at all? Do I need to submit employer verification or job offer?
Can you please share list of documents you shared and got approved?
Thanks
Receipt Number for your approved petition as it appears on your Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker Form I-129 or Notice of Action Form I-797 from USCIS (does not apply to H1B1 visa applicants)
With the above requirement, are they asking for just the receipt number or a copy of the actual notice? I got the online notification that H1B is approved, but haven't got the documents yet. Would it be sufficient to send the approve notice number?

klia

Sep 8, 2020
Sharing my H4 visa dropbox timeline at Vancouver consulate.

Jul 15 - dropped off my application package at Canada post in Surrey
Jul 16 - package ready for pickup at 8:30am
Jul 17 - package picked up at 10:30am (It seems to be true that they are picking up applications MWF)
Jul 17 - CEAC status changed to "Application Received" later in the afternoon
Jul 19 - Last updated date was refreshed, but status remained the same
Jul 22 - Received an email from consulate asking if I had used any other names in the past, which was strange since I had indicated NO for this question on the application form
Jul 22 - CEAC status changed to "Approved" later in the afternoon
Jul 23 - CEAC status changed to "Issued" in the morning
Jul 23 - Received shipment notification in afternoon

This is my fourth time going through this process at Vancouver consulate and a few things have evolved. Here are my tips:
- Drop off your package the day before MWF pickup days to shortern the overall processing time
- Additional documents you should consider providing even if not in their checklist: H1B holder's passport, travel history, i94, and employment verification. Last time, they asked me for a few of these over email delaying the process by ~2 days.
Hi, I’m coming to Vancouver Aug 4th for H1B and H4 US visa Dropbox. Could you please let me know which Canada post you dropped off the documents? It was BLS or normal PO? I’m not getting any appointments at BLS

theimmi1824

Jul 22, 2024
Hi, I’m coming to Vancouver Aug 4th for H1B and H4 US visa Dropbox. Could you please let me know which Canada post you dropped off the documents? It was BLS or normal PO? I’m not getting any appointments at BLS
I dropped it off at Surrey Main PO at 10688 King George Blvd. You don't need an appointment for drop off. Note that only certain locations will accept the package with the barcode. See the full list here: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/courier_dropboxes

Last edited:

nonpc23

Jul 12, 2024
Aug 6 - dropped off my application package at Canada post in 595 Burrard (Downtown Vancouver)
Aug 7 - Package delivered at 10:30 am
Aug 12 - https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv still says Courier-In Shipping. ceac visa status check also returns Your search did not return any data.

Where or how should we check the status or follow up?

klia

Sep 8, 2020
Aug 6 - dropped off my application package at Canada post in 595 Burrard (Downtown Vancouver)
Aug 7 - Package delivered at 10:30 am
Aug 12 - https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv still says Courier-In Shipping. ceac visa status check also returns Your search did not return any data.

Where or how should we check the status or follow up?
Hi, did you got any update? My application is showing Approved from Aug 12 and i submitted on Aug 08. No updates after Aug 12

klia

Sep 8, 2020
I dropped it off at Surrey Main PO at 10688 King George Blvd. You don't need an appointment for drop off. Note that only certain locations will accept the package with the barcode. See the full list here: https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/courier_dropboxes
Do you know any number where we can contact Vancouver consulate?? My application is showing Approved from Aug 12 and i submitted on Aug 08. No updates after Aug 12. For my wife on h4 it’s still showing “ Application received “ from Aug 08

nonpc23

Jul 12, 2024
Hi, did you got any update? My application is showing Approved from Aug 12 and i submitted on Aug 08. No updates after Aug 12
Congrats. No I didn't get any updates yet.
  1. Where did you see it say approved?
  2. Did you submit yours and your spouses together or did you submit separately?