+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guidance on what to do after marrying my fiance in Canada.

Oct 26, 2013
Hello, I am from the U.S. and my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years is a Canadian. I am ready to get the ball rolling on this, and close the distance. I haven't seen him in about a year and a half and it is driving us both crazy. What my question would be is how does the process work after you get married? Is it as simple as get married, send in the information, and apply for PR status, or how does it all work? I'm so new to this, I just really need pointed in the right direction, because I am getting so confused when I look at all of these different ways to do it. What him and I wanted to do was have me travel up to Canada, get married while we are there, and then file for PR while also filing to extend my stay. If that is how the process goes I hear it takes about 18 months to process the PR status. I'm sure I can't get an extension to stay for the entire time, but I'm sure I can stay for some of it. Anyway, any guidance is greatly appreciated as him and I are both very confused at this point, and we keep thinking it's a super simple process but I'm beginning to think it isn't.

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
05-08-2013 (IMM5669E/Q8), 14-11-2013 (proof of return, of funds, of cohabitation)
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
12-11-2012, repeat x-ray for extension 23-01-2014 (extension granted)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
CourtneyWaffles said:
Hello, I am from the U.S. and my boyfriend of 3 1/2 years is a Canadian. I am ready to get the ball rolling on this, and close the distance. I haven't seen him in about a year and a half and it is driving us both crazy. What my question would be is how does the process work after you get married? Is it as simple as get married, send in the information, and apply for PR status, or how does it all work? I'm so new to this, I just really need pointed in the right direction, because I am getting so confused when I look at all of these different ways to do it. What him and I wanted to do was have me travel up to Canada, get married while we are there, and then file for PR while also filing to extend my stay. If that is how the process goes I hear it takes about 18 months to process the PR status. I'm sure I can't get an extension to stay for the entire time, but I'm sure I can stay for some of it. Anyway, any guidance is greatly appreciated as him and I are both very confused at this point, and we keep thinking it's a super simple process but I'm beginning to think it isn't.
If you apply inland it will be mandatory for you to stay there until the process is complete - your visitor status will be extended for that period. You will not be allowed to travel out of the country under any circumstances and you can get a working permit after the first stage is done (after about 10-11 months).

If you apply outland the processing will take a shorter time, you will be able to travel, but nobody can guarantee you will be let into Canada, even if you're visa exempt. Also, in case of a refusal, you can appeal the decision.

For any other informations, see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-how.asp

It might look like it's a lot of information, but by the time you apply you will know it by heart :-D

Good luck!

Oct 26, 2013
Betina said:
If you apply inland it will be mandatory for you to stay there until the process is complete - your visitor status will be extended for that period. You will not be allowed to travel out of the country under any circumstances and you can get a working permit after the first stage is done (after about 10-11 months).

If you apply outland the processing will take a shorter time, you will be able to travel, but nobody can guarantee you will be let into Canada, even if you're visa exempt. Also, in case of a refusal, you can appeal the decision.

For any other informations, see here [removed]

It might look like it's a lot of information, but by the time you apply you will know it by heart :-D

Good luck!
So from what you've told me, and what my SO and I want to happen, we should apply inland? He definitely wants me to stay, so if I do it inland then I won't have to leave! So it's for sure that my stay will be extended and they won't make me leave for overstaying? Do you know how long inland takes approximately? Now this will give me my PR status after it is completed and approved, or must I also apply for PR status?

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
05-08-2013 (IMM5669E/Q8), 14-11-2013 (proof of return, of funds, of cohabitation)
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
CourtneyWaffles said:
So from what you've told me, and what my SO and I want to happen, we should apply inland? He definitely wants me to stay, so if I do it inland then I won't have to leave! So it's for sure that my stay will be extended and they won't make me leave for overstaying?
If you apply inland before the the end of the maximum period you are allowed to stay as a visitor, then you will have implied status until the processing is over (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp). But you will not be able to work or earn any money for almost a year - you can get an OWP (open work permit) only after your then-husband will be approved as sponsor.

CourtneyWaffles said:
Do you know how long inland takes approximately?
Inland applications are done in an average time of 19 months (first stage - 11 months, second stage - 8 months). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp - see the second chart, the one with "Person to be sponsored lives in Canada" on top

CourtneyWaffles said:
Now this will give me my PR status after it is completed and approved, or must I also apply for PR status?
What you are trying to do is apply for Permanent Residency being sponsored by your future husband. So yes, you will have PR status if it's approved.

Please read the link I've posted on my first reply, the informations there will really answer a lot of your questions :)

Oct 26, 2013
Betina said:
If you apply inland before the the end of the maximum period you are allowed to stay as a visitor, then you will have implied status until the processing is over [removed]. But you will not be able to work or earn any money for almost a year - you can get an OWP (open work permit) only after your then-husband will be approved as sponsor.

Inland applications are done in an average time of 19 months (first stage - 11 months, second stage - 8 months). [removed] - see the second chart, the one with "Person to be sponsored lives in Canada" on top

What you are trying to do is applying for Permanent Residency being sponsored by your future husband. So yes, you will have PR status if it's approved.

Please read the link I've posted on my first reply, the informations there will really answer a lot of your questions :)
Thank you, you have answered all of my questions, and I'm going to bookmark all of those links and look them over as much as possible. This is amazing information to find out and you have been very helpful. I can't wait to close this distance!

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
CourtneyWaffles said:
Thank you, you have answered all of my questions, and I'm going to bookmark all of those links and look them over as much as possible. This is amazing information to find out and you have been very helpful. I can't wait to close this distance!
You're very welcome.

Just start gathering all the papers as soon as possible, it can take a few months to put an application together. See how much time you need to get the police certificates, because the application needs to be received by CIC in not more than 3 months after the police certificate has been issued. Also, if it's mandatory do the medical exam upfront, do it right before sending in the application because it's valid for only 12 months - after that CIC will either try to extend the validity, if your processing is near the end, or ask you to re-do all or a part of the exam.

Here is another link for you to bookmark http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp - it has all the forms you will need to fill and all the documents you will need to provide. Read de Instruction Guide [IMM 5289] before anything else.

Good luck!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
CourtneyWaffles said:
So from what you've told me, and what my SO and I want to happen, we should apply inland? He definitely wants me to stay, so if I do it inland then I won't have to leave! So it's for sure that my stay will be extended and they won't make me leave for overstaying? Do you know how long inland takes approximately? Now this will give me my PR status after it is completed and approved, or must I also apply for PR status?
It's usually recommended for US applicants to apply outland. In most cases if you have a straightforward application with no red flags, US outland apps are processed through the CPP-Ottawa visa office, and based on times people are currently seeing in the Ottawa thread, PR can be completely approved in around 8-10 months or so.

US citizens usually can get an easy visitor status in Canada for 6 months, then after then its also usually pretty easy to just extend status, or leave and re-enter Canada for another 6 months.

Oct 26, 2013
Rob_TO said:
It's usually recommended for US applicants to apply outland. In most cases if you have a straightforward application with no red flags, US outland apps are processed through the CPP-Ottawa visa office, and based on times people are currently seeing in the Ottawa thread, PR can be completely approved in around 8-10 months or so.

US citizens usually can get an easy visitor status in Canada for 6 months, then after then its also usually pretty easy to just extend status, or leave and re-enter Canada for another 6 months.
Okay, so we are going to do the outland process in that case. I don't want to tell them that at the border though when I am trying to visit, do I?

Oct 26, 2013
Rob_TO said:
Is it possible for us to submit all of the paperwork while I am already in Canada, just file as outland? Can I do my background check and medical examination in Canada, or do I need to go home and do that before we submit the papers and then just come back to visit?

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
CourtneyWaffles said:
Is it possible for us to submit all of the paperwork while I am already in Canada, just file as outland? Can I do my background check and medical examination in Canada, or do I need to go home and do that before we submit the papers and then just come back to visit?
You can apply outland while staying in Canada and you can do the med exams there, as long as they are done by a panel physician.

But you have to ask for a police certificate from every country you have resided in for at least 6 months after the age of 18.

Here's everything yo need for an outland application - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Oct 26, 2013
Betina said:
But you have to ask for a police certificate from every country you have resided in for at least 6 months after the age of 18.
So I guess I would only need a police check for the U.S. then, considering I have only lived there. Haha. Do I need to do it for every state I have lived in? I would assume yes. I'm going to look into this police thing now. I'm planning on crossing the border again by bus near Christmas time. I have a letter from my parents, my SO, my dad's friend who owns a construction company stating he needs me to work for him starting February, I'll have my bank statement showing my father paid me for caring for them while they were sick, and my phone bill showing I do have a home in the U.S. I hope that will be good enough for them, if not, then I don't know what. Someone told me to also make a doctors appointment back home to show to them which will help. I am also going to set up an appointment with a financial adviser for the community college near me, showing that I plan to enroll in college when I return to the U.S.

SO NERVOUS about crossing the border again.

Betina

Jul 17, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2013
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
06-06-2013
File Transfer...
11-06-2013
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-02-2014
LANDED..........
08-04-2014
CourtneyWaffles said:
So I guess I would only need a police check for the U.S. then, considering I have only lived there. Haha. Do I need to do it for every state I have lived in? I would assume yes. I'm going to look into this police thing now.
They only want you to include an FBI check in the file. If they will need state certificates, they will request them. Here is the procedure for the US http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

Good luck with your holiday plans, hope you don't have any problems crossing the border.