+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guidance for IT Jobs in Canada

Msinghdba

Aug 4, 2014
Hi All,

I started new Thread to find out job market of Oracle DBA and while searching found this thread very helping.

Dear friends, I am planning to land in Toronto around in April with my family. Looking your help to find out in which city/state I can get job as Oracle DBA. I am working as DBA SME in MNC in India Bangalore.
Having 10+ years of experience. Acquired OCP 10g,11g, ERP 12 SYS Admin. 12c tanning from oracle university.

My wife is also oracle DBA and having 5+ years experience. OCP certified.

Your all suggestion will be very helpful to get us prepared.

Thank you!!
-MS

blujewel

Jan 4, 2015
Impresso said:
Hello Everyone,

I myself migrated to Canada in 2006, and since been working in the IT industry and currently work for VMware. Understand that getting a job here could be little painful - but I am more that happy to share my views and guidance to help anyone out. If you have any questions - please do let me know.

Looking forward to you sharing some experience.
Hello
Thank you so much for offering your kind help. I am an IT professional with Manual Testing exp. What is my probability to get a good job in my own field?

shamu1980

Jan 6, 2015
xylene said:
I found work with these steps
1. Updated my linkedin profile - got recommendations from my peers and managers
2. Updated my resume for the job I am applying - Applied on workopolis, indeed and moster.ca. Also linkedin jobs and glassdoor jobs.
3. Connected with recruiters in my field through linkedin. Called them. met some of them. Talked with them.
4. I got calls from some companies directly (through linkedin and workopolis)
5. Connected with all my friends in Canada
6. Connected with members in my community - church

Try everything possible, one of these should land you with an interview call. And Good luck!
Hi everyone,

A new guy here. Thanks to Impresso for starting up this thread. Anyway, I plan to take advantage of the express entry and have started working out a plan, which some of them include steps 1, 2 and 3 as listed above. The only problem is I am not in Canada and am currently living and working in my home country, which is a developing country. I used to live for 10 years in the US, working on an MBA degree and a PhD degree in IS at accredited US universities. I also had several stints in the US before leaving back home. I'm not sure whether having advanced degrees, especially a PhD, from US higher-ed institutions would help or become an issue with getting a decent, non-academic, job in Canada, especially that I am out of the country. By the way, I do not have any IT certifications although I am working on getting some before applying.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Dec 17, 2014
Thanks to Impresso for creating such a helpful and supportive environment for others. I'm sure that people appreciate insights and encouragements.

I'd like to share a resource for people who are currently outside of Canada, planning to immigrate and settle in British Columbia, and will be looking for a job.

There is a free, six week, online job search workshop that may benefit many people who would like to learn things in a more systemic way and make their job search process a little bit easier before coming to Canada. The workshop is called Online Pre-arrival Job Search Strategies Workshop provided by MOSAIC BC. If you are already approved to come to Canada or is in the process of your application to immigrate to Canada, we are able to offer you a spot.

The cool thing about this workshop is that it is delivered online, which means you can participate from your own country or home, anywhere outside of Canada.

Next start date is February, 23rd, 2015. If anyone is interested, please feel free to contact me at prearrivalservices@mosaicbc.com

In the workshop, a Vancouver-based instructor will share real-life tips and strategies to look for work the Canadian way, explain what employers are looking for, and work one-on-one with you to succeed in job interviews.

You will find an online application form on our website to register for the workshop. Simply email me for the website URL or google "MOSAIC Online Pre-arrival Services".

I hope this resource will help some of you coming to BC in the future! :)

Cheers.

lovesumi

Star Member
Sep 1, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Impresso said:
Hello Everyone,

I myself migrated to Canada in 2006, and since been working in the IT industry and currently work for VMware. Understand that getting a job here could be little painful - but I am more that happy to share my views and guidance to help anyone out. If you have any questions - please do let me know.

Hi Impresso,

I have 6+years of experience in Java J2EE technologies
4+ years of experience in Amazon web services (cloud)
2+ years of experience in Big Data (Hadoop 2.0) and NoSQL technologies (Cassandra,Redis)

I am currently in express entry pool. I am outside Canada.
Please give me tips how to get employer's response/EOI

Mra2618

Sep 11, 2014
Impresso said:
Hello Everyone,

Hello Impresso

I am about to finish my PhD in CS ( uottawa) soon. However, I don't have any industrial experience in Canada. Through my phd I used C++ for my project. I am certified as a java programmer from sun Microsystems ( this was since 2001). I am starting to search the job market. Honestly, during my studies I couldn't look for any jobs ( I am a mother of 2) so the PhDs alone was tough. I am so confused and I don't know where to start. Of course I would like to work in research but the competition is really high. I would appreciate any recommendation.

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Msinghdba said:
Hi All,

I started new Thread to find out job market of Oracle DBA and while searching found this thread very helping.

Dear friends, I am planning to land in Toronto around in April with my family. Looking your help to find out in which city/state I can get job as Oracle DBA. I am working as DBA SME in MNC in India Bangalore.
Having 10+ years of experience. Acquired OCP 10g,11g, ERP 12 SYS Admin. 12c tanning from oracle university.

My wife is also oracle DBA and having 5+ years experience. OCP certified.

Your all suggestion will be very helpful to get us prepared.

Thank you!!
-MS
I think Toronto being the business District, should be your best bet!

lumszy

Jan 21, 2015
Hello Impresso;

Am also in your field with years of experience( VMware, Storages and servers support etc.)

Please, can you guy on which companies can employ outside of canada. I have been submitting application but recruiters always ask if i have work permit to work in canada.

Am also an applicant to FSW december batch. Will like you share ideas in this regards.

Thanks.

base7

Star Member
May 25, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am planning to settle toronto by couple of months.
I am a Network/systems engineer with some certifications: dual CCIE(Cisco), RHCE(Redhat), VCP(Vmware)
What are my chances to get job? And what is the salary range?

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
Hello all members,

Can any one guide me what kind on IT jobs specially of entry level jobs are offered in Canada?

I am planing to land in June2015 and Iam preparing my CV for IT job, Since Iam a pharmacist by profession because that I cant work as a pharmacist since its a regulated profession also it takes around 3 years for getting a license to work.

I want to know what kind of certification should i obtain for getting job in IT?
What kind of IT jobs are in demand?

I have a great potential and knowledge in networking and i believe I can work in IT networking field.

Any senior can help me in this.

Waiting for positive response.

Jaxon911

Champion Member
Jun 18, 2014
London, UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
PR App 2014-06-23 & Citizenship App Filed in Aug 2022
can someone tell me if a strong hardcore programmer with 7+ years of experience in the UK and India can get a $100k job in Toronto?
And does anyone know about IT Contract rates in Toronto or any other city in Canada? In the UK contracts pay fairly well, about £300 to £350 a day (about $550 to $600 in CAD) a day.

vana-hb

Mar 3, 2015
Interesting thread I must say and more interesting to myself as I may become one of IT job seekers.

I am in my thirties thinking of going to Canada just for a try at first. So I would like to apply under IEC - working holiday schema and see how it goes over there. The think is, that I would like to keep my career going the right direction and find an IT job similar to the ones I did in The Czech Republic.

I worked as a senior administrator with responsibility for planning, deploying and managing IT infrastructures mostly based on Windows environment (2008 and 2012) spiced by Linux CentOS. I worked for smaller companies with not many employes so sometimes I had to do all job from wires to servers – universal soldier which is good because I know something from everything and bad at the same time because I do not have deep strong specialization in any field. In overall I have about five years of experiences in multiple positions.

I can speak English nearly fluently but sometimes I have a trouble to understand a phone. I am able to provide verifiable references from CZ for what it is worth. I graduated in IT science and have a College diploma.

My object of interest would be probably enter level position as I do not believe that I can jump in a senior position directly from the air plain.

My question is whether it is even worth to be trying to get an IT job of any kind related to above description – anything from wires to servers or just an IT technician fixing whatever like pcs just for the start. As there are some limitation as time limited (1r) working visa, slight language barrier and the fact that I am foreigner. I am militated by the time and money so I can not be searching a job like a long time. What county or City is the place to go and should I choose an agency or go from door to door asking with a CV? Is there a change or it is pointless and I would be better not to waste money in this economy?

I know that there are many similar questionsjust above but I have the feeling that most of them are programing and software testing related.

Thank you very much.

Feb 25, 2015
Impresso said:
Hello Everyone,

Hello Impresso ,

Your contribution on the website is really appreciable .

I am Computer science Btech engineer with 5 years exp as Information and Business analyst . Basically I am Technical Director in my current company . I am looking forward to immigrate to canada .

Can you help me to find a job before I land in canada ?

If you have any other suggestion , feel free to suggest me .

if possible kindly share your email address , it will be a great help .

Thanks in advance :)

Regards
Gajendra
contactgajendra1987@gmail.com

Msinghdba

Aug 4, 2014
xylene said:
I think Toronto being the business District, should be your best bet!

Thanks buddy!!

Let me see if I can send you personal message.

Team- it would be great if still someone can through more light on this

Thanks,
-MS