+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got passport back with PR, but how to get PR card.

jati

Jun 19, 2009
Hi,

I have applied under PNP and got work permit. After that I have applied for PR from India and now i got the PR and hv recd the passport back. Now the thing for which I'm confused is that currently im here in Canada but my passport is in India and i am planning to get my passport back through some known person. Now what will be the procedure to apply for the PR card as I am not going through the procedure which is generally completed at the time of arrival at airport by immigration department in Canada.

Thanks/ Jati

rascojenkins

Jul 25, 2008
Well you can drive to one of the boader towns get out of Canada come back in and complete landing formalities. I'm too sure but I read somwhere in this forum that you could complete landing in Canada but you have to call and make an appointment wait for about three months or so. Hope Leon will help you with that.
Congrats and good luck completing the process.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can call CIC and ask if you can "land" in the CIC office in your town. If not or you don't want to wait, just drive to the border and do it there. If you don't have a visa to enter the US, I have heard people say that once you get to the US side, tell them that you do not wish to enter the US, you just came to complete Canadian immigration papers and they will turn you around so you can go back to the Canadian side and do that.

ymanoelpia

Star Member
Apr 3, 2009
is it mandatory that you should exit canada and re enter once you became PR? Is there a time limit that you should take an exit once you have your residency approval?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Once you get your PR visa, it will have an expiry date. You have to land before that date. If you are not in Canada at that time, you have to go to Canada to do it. If you are in Canada, you may be able to land in your local CIC office. You can call CIC and ask about it or you can go to your local office and ask about it. You may have to make an appointment. Depending on how busy they are, your appointment may not be soon. It may be easier for you if you live close to the border to just drive to the border and do it there.

jati

Jun 19, 2009
Thanks Leon and other members for all your suggestions.

I think that I will go to my nearest border and complete all my formalities from there as it will take less time. But if I do like this than how should I get all my stuff in here as I think that I can bring stuff upto any value for duty free but only for the FIRST time i enter here in Canada as PR.

Actually I have to go back (for couple of months) to sell my furniture and other things and than bring all my other stuff here like garments, jewelery, electronics etc. but am i still allowed to bring all my stuff duty free on my second entry.

My spouse is going to bring my passport here (and in that way she will also going to avail her first entry).

Thanks/ Jati

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you don't have your stuff with you when you first land as a PR, you should give them a "goods to follow" list. This link may help: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/rc4151-eng.html

jati

Jun 19, 2009
Thanks Leon.. Its really helpful.

Also regarding the letters which i recd along with my passport says .. " At the time of your arrival you will be interviewed and granted entry into Canada based on the information in the documents that we are providing to your now." .... But there is no such information in the documents.

what type of interview is this..and what are they generally ask. Is this for everyone at the time of entry in Canada??

Jati

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It isn't really a formal interview. They may ask you for the goods you are bringing if any or goods to follow or if you are required to show funds, they may ask you for proof of funds.

Sep 20, 2008
yes proof of funds entirely depends on case by case basis, I was not asked for the proof of funds during my processing at buffalo nor at the time of landing. However, be very very veryyyy careful about the name and other identities on your COPR if something is not matched properly your case may stay on hold forever. In my case, my surname was entered together with my given name and now I have been waiting for my PR card since forever, so please make sure your name and other info appears same as in your passport, I thought its a typo but now i am suffering to get my pr card grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... good luck

jati

Jun 19, 2009
Thanks guys!!

One more question.. Can you please let me know that how much funds I do require at the time of landing. Is there any other document required, other that my CPR to show to them. Right now i am going to apply alone and my family will follow later.

Jati