+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married in a third country and potential risks in home country

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
Hey guys, my boyfriend and I are planning to marry in a third country. He's a PR of Canada living in Canada since mid 2019 and I'm a Pakistani national living in Pakistan. He is a non-Muslim and I'm born in a Muslim family -- as such under the laws of Pakistan our marriage cannot take place because Muslim female isn't allowed to marry outside religion. Additionally, he is the national of a country which is seen by Pakistan as an enemy country, so for his own safety too I don't want him to come here. We have been together for four years and have taken four trips together to different countries. Some of our friends know about us and some of our family knows too and they are okay with us. Now we want to get married in a country where we can have a civil marriage easily (not long residency because we both have jobs and he just got his job few months back). We had picked a country but that country writes religion of the parties on the marriage certificate. I want to know, do I have to declare the certificate in my home country for Canada to accept it? Because if I declare it in my home country with different religions, well, I could actually get killed for marrying outside religion. Do other people have similar experiences in the marriage area where you had to marry in a safe third country and didn't have to tell your home country anything and Canada still accepted your documentation?

Also, there is the idea of having my boyfriend convert but again, I don't know if Canada will have a problem with that. Because if he converted it would only be to make my life easier when it comes to state of Pakistan and my family (I myself am not a practicing Muslim. I'm pretty much an atheist. And there is no freedom of choosing another religion in Pakistan if you are born in a Muslim household).

Please help us.

Reactions: RandomPakistani17

Aggarwal123

Aug 23, 2017
Hey guys, my boyfriend and I are planning to marry in a third country. He's a PR of Canada living in Canada since mid 2019 and I'm a Pakistani national living in Pakistan. He is a non-Muslim and I'm born in a Muslim family -- as such under the laws of Pakistan our marriage cannot take place because Muslim female isn't allowed to marry outside religion. Additionally, he is the national of a country which is seen by Pakistan as an enemy country, so for his own safety too I don't want him to come here. We have been together for four years and have taken four trips together to different countries. Some of our friends know about us and some of our family knows too and they are okay with us. Now we want to get married in a country where we can have a civil marriage easily (not long residency because we both have jobs and he just got his job few months back). We had picked a country but that country writes religion of the parties on the marriage certificate. I want to know, do I have to declare the certificate in my home country for Canada to accept it? Because if I declare it in my home country with different religions, well, I could actually get killed for marrying outside religion. Do other people have similar experiences in the marriage area where you had to marry in a safe third country and didn't have to tell your home country anything and Canada still accepted your documentation?

Also, there is the idea of having my boyfriend convert but again, I don't know if Canada will have a problem with that. Because if he converted it would only be to make my life easier when it comes to state of Pakistan and my family (I myself am not a practicing Muslim. I'm pretty much an atheist. And there is no freedom of choosing another religion in Pakistan if you are born in a Muslim household).

Please help us.
Hello, i can recommend you one country where you can do Civil marriage and file PR, if interested let me know

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Please help us.
Shouldn't be an issue I would explain why you married in a 3rd country in your sponsorship application..

Reactions: Femme38

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I dont know if this helps.

My Wife is a Canadian born citizen. I am from El salvador. We got married in El Salvador and then filed in the sponsorship application. We jsut made sure it was properly validated and translated all marrige documents when we submitted the application.
Think OP's question is more about understanding of why it isn't possible of safe to do an interfaith marriage in Pakistan. Your life could be at risk.

takitfree

Star Member
Nov 2, 2019
No. The marriage only has to be legal in Canada and in the country it was performed. Whether it’s registered in your country or not is not an issue.

Reactions: Femme38

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
I dont know if this helps.

My Wife is a Canadian born citizen. I am from El salvador. We got married in El Salvador and then filed in the sponsorship application. We jsut made sure it was properly validated and translated all marrige documents when we submitted the application.
So lucky your partner could visit you. Every time we meet, we have to find a country where we both can fly to so it's almost twice as expensive. I can't wait for us to be together.

Femme38

Dec 23, 2020
No. The marriage only has to be legal in Canada and in the country it was performed. Whether it’s registered in your country or not is not an issue.
Glad it's cleared out. Imagine what all these countries would do to people found in interfaith relationships or gay couples.

Chimurenga 4

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
Hello, please advise 3rd countries that allow marriage for non citizens and if the marriage certificate is valid in Canada