+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gaps in travel history

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Hello Experts!

I am a bit confused about how to enter the travel history and would appreciate some guidance on that.
I came to Canada in Jan 2016 as a student and made trips back home almost every year.
Now, do i need to mention just the trips i made back home or do i also need to mention the period of time i stayed in Canada in travel history section? e.g. Jan 2016 - Jan 2018 (studying in Canada), Jan 2018-Feb 2018(visit back home), Feb 2018-June 2019(studying in Canada).

I read it somewhere that IRCC doesn't care about the trip to country of residence and country of citizenship but i am not sure if it is better to still mention all trips back to back as it could be confusing for the officer.

Can anyone please guide me on this?

canadasj

Star Member
Sep 29, 2023
You don't need to mention any travel history for Country of Residence and Country of Citizenship.

E.g.
  • Country of Residence: Canada
  • Country of Citizenship: India

• No travel history is required for them.
    • But, say you took a flight that involved immigration in another country. E.g. you take a flight via the United States.
    • You undergo immigration in the U.S. for any Canada-US-India / India-US-Canada flights. So, you will show entry of your US entry/exit (which will be the same day depending on your your transit).
  • Other scenarios:
    • if you take a flight via Qatar, you don't under immigration at Qatar, and just take the next transit flight, so no travel record is required for Qatar.
    • You visit Europe, since one visa works in most of countries, and you only do immigration at the first entry country, but you can travel to different countries, and exit back from the same or different country. In this case, you should show different entries for all the countries visited during the trip.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
You don't need to mention any travel history for Country of Residence and Country of Citizenship.

E.g.

• But, say you took a flight that involved immigration in another country. E.g. you take a flight via the United States.
    • You undergo immigration in the U.S. for any Canada-US-India / India-US-Canada flights. So, you will show entry of your US entry/exit (which will be the same day depending on your your transit).
  • Other scenarios:
    • if you take a flight via Qatar, you don't under immigration at Qatar, and just take the next transit flight, so no travel record is required for Qatar.
    • You visit Europe, since one visa works in most of countries, and you only do immigration at the first entry country, but you can travel to different countries, and exit back from the same or different country. In this case, you should show different entries for all the countries visited during the trip.
Thank you. i only travelled back and forth my COC India and COR Canada. So in this case, i won't have to enter anything to my travel history? I have read some post where people mentions to even list the travel between COC and COR. I am a bit confused on what to mention.
Also, do you know the answer to this? https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/employment-while-being-a-student-in-canada-post-ita.829315/

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

E.g.

• Other scenarios:
What makes you think that travel history isn't required between COR and COC?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hello Experts!

I am a bit confused about how to enter the travel history and would appreciate some guidance on that.
I came to Canada in Jan 2016 as a student and made trips back home almost every year.
Now, do i need to mention just the trips i made back home or do i also need to mention the period of time i stayed in Canada in travel history section? e.g. Jan 2016 - Jan 2018 (studying in Canada), Jan 2018-Feb 2018(visit back home), Feb 2018-June 2019(studying in Canada).

I read it somewhere that IRCC doesn't care about the trip to country of residence and country of citizenship but i am not sure if it is better to still mention all trips back to back as it could be confusing for the officer.

Can anyone please guide me on this?
Mention all your trips, it is a no-brainer. Don't overcomplicate things for no reason.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Mention all your trips, it is a no-brainer. Don't overcomplicate things for no reason.
Like you have mentioned no need to mention any travel history for Country of Residence and Country of Citizenship. So if i have travelled between COR and COC then I don’t need to mention? Is my understanding not right? Can you please elaborate
Thanks

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Like you have mentioned no need to mention any travel history for Country of Residence and Country of Citizenship. So if i have travelled between COR and COC then I don’t need to mention? Is my understanding not right? Can you please elaborate
Thanks
I think that suggestion was written by someone else. Unless there's a document from IRCC that says so, I would not exclude these from travel history. Plus it is so easy to list them, all you need to do is to attach your passport scans to support them. You will spend more time in back and forth on the forum which wouldn't be worth it.

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
I think that suggestion was written by someone else. Unless there's a document from IRCC that says so, I would not exclude these from travel history. Plus it is so easy to list them, all you need to do is to attach your passport scans to support them. You will spend more time in back and forth on the forum which wouldn't be worth it.
Ok so in this case do you recommend me to list the travel between COR and COC so there won’t be any gap of a day in travel history? E.g Dec 2020 - feb 2021(india), feb 2021-current(canada) etc

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Ok so in this case do you recommend me to list the travel between COR and COC so there won’t be any gap of a day in travel history? E.g Dec 2020 - feb 2021(india), feb 2021-current(canada) etc
yes, so as long as there isn't a canada.ca doc that says otherwise, list every int'l travel.

canadasj

Star Member
Sep 29, 2023
What makes you think that travel history isn't required between COR and COC?
It's mentioned in the application that you don't need to provide travel details between COR and COC. I hope you have seen the latest application that IRCC asks you to fill out for the travel history section.

If one wants to provide all travel history between COR and COC, it's up to them. It is not a requirement. Any other travel history which required immigration to a country needs to be listed.

Reactions: iSaidGoodDay

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
It's mentioned in the application that you don't need to provide travel details between COR and COC. I hope you have seen the latest application that IRCC asks you to fill out for the travel history section.

If one wants to provide all travel history between COR and COC, it's up to them. It is not a requirement. Any other travel history which required immigration to a country needs to be listed.
Yeah that's what i read it in the application too so in this case if i have only travelled between COR and COC then I don’t need to mention anything in travel history? but i do have stamps on my passport

fq786

Jun 9, 2021

Also, do you know the answer to this
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/travel-and-address-history-related-question.829430/
Thanks

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda

If the application says so, then I guess it is fine.