+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full time in student gap time to applying PGWP

ruburaka

Sep 15, 2022
Hi,
I have completed my study between Jan 2022 to Aug 2022. I have a offer letter of next course for Jan 2023 and I have paid 1st semester fee for that. Now I am eligible to work full time between this Aug to Jan 2023 as per IRCC. So I am working around/more than 40 hours a week at this moment.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

Within these gap months if I get a full time job in software, Can I change my status from student to PGWP open work permit(1 year) using the first course completion letter. Is it legal to change the status from gap time of two course to PGWP for applying PR in Canadian experience class within next year? I am planning to apply PR using 1 year Canadian experience.

Please suggest.

JerBear123

May 12, 2022
A few things here, let's clarify those one at a time:
  1. During the time between the completion of your first course, and the start of your 2nd course, as long as your study permit does not expire, or you are on "implied-status", you can work full-time without a work permit [Section 186(v)(iii)] during that few months. Do note that during this period of time, your official status is "student", so when interacting with CBSA or IRCC, don't claim that you are a worker, you will be questioned.
  2. Also, note that any work that time is considered "work experience when holding a student status" hence is not eligible for CEC".
  3. If you are sure that you will be attending your course, don't apply for PGWP since you only can hold PGWP once in your life-time. Save that chance for after you graduate. If you applied and it is successful, you and you start your course in Jan 2023, your PGWP will be void immediately after the commencement of your course regardless of the time remaining on the work permit, and you will never had the chance to apply for the remaining duration again.
  4. Also do note that application time for PGWP takes around 4 months anyway, unless you decide to flagpole.
  5. Note that you can only hold 1 type of permit at a time, so having a study permit will immediately void your work permit, and vice versa.
  6. On a side note regarding PGWP, note the following:
    1. From the time you finish your course to the time you receive your "letter of completion", you are in "study session" and hence you can work 20 hours per week.
    2. Once you get your "letter of completion", it doesnt matter when you receive it but rather the date on the letter, you must stop working immediately, but you will be eligible to apply for PGWP.
    3. The moment you submit your PGWP application and pay the fees online, you can start working full time immediately, and experience during this period of time count towards CEC since you are no longer a student.
    4. Lastly, it doesn't matter when you graduate, but your letter of completion. In other words, if your letter of completion is Jan 1, 2022, regardless if you graduate 1 day, 1 month, 1 year or 5 years later, but your student status end "Jan 1, 2022".