+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Full Name At The Time You Became Permanent Resident

lovelyece

Star Member
Nov 29, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all, I'm planning to sponsor my Wife under Spousal Sponsorship in Canada Class.

- My old passport had my "first and last name" under 'given name' section (the surname section was blank) when I got my PR and the same appears on my PR Card.

- I recently renewed my Indian passport and updated my name, so now I have a Surname & Given name on the passport. But I haven't applied for any name change on my Canadian documents including the PR.

Currently I'm filling out the sponsorship application (Application to Sponsor IMM 1344) and I came across the following questions under Sponsor Personal Details,

1. Family Name: XXXX Given Name: XXXXX -> Updated like my CURRENT passport

6. (C) Full Name At The Time You Became Permanent Resident.

-> what should I choose? "No" since my name on the passport got changed (The PR card is still not updated!!) ?

if you were in the same boat please let me know if CIC takes it easy or if they want some document

Hanads

Aug 9, 2020
Hi,

I have a similar problem. I'm sponsoring my wife. Filling out form 1344 6c (page1).
I'm inclined to choose "No", which will not allow me to enter those fields. Why, indicating a different name suggests an "official" act took place that resulted in two different names.

The Problem:

My current Passport only has: First Name and Surname (2 elements)

But, when I became a PR, I had a middle name (3 elements).

My SIN card has the all Middle Name as well (only Passport doesn't)

Any advice wold be welcome.

Thanks,

H

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I would suggest filling out both fields since you have documents with both versions. If you wish, include a short letter of explanation explaining the difference but that there was no name change in court. Canada tends to be a bit more relaxed as common law sort of recognizes that the name you use frequently is 'official' when habitually used even if not changed via a court process.

In this context it is more important that you disclose all names that you have used in documentation. Leaving out this information would be more risky, I believe, than disclosing.

Usual caveat, not a lawyer and your mileage may vary. But my own name at birth had long first name and middle name, all other documentation is short first name and last name, no middle name. Never had any problem with Canadian authorities. But I do disclose that I can be known by both.