+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Housekeeper to Live-In Caregiver?

Alizee

May 20, 2012
I am in Canada on a work permit as a housekeeper for a year. How can I transition to a position of a live-in caregiver? there are employers willing to hire me and go through the LMO process, but I am not sure how the permit will work out. Do I have to leave Canada to enter as a live-in caregiver or will they assess me from inside Canada? My current work permit is based on zero professional and language requirements. Can I switch to being a live-in caregiver without leaving Canada?

Thank you.

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
We just finished assisting someone who was a regular TFW living and working in Canada to get into the Live-In Caregiver Program. It is possible to switch into the LCP from inside Canada, but our experience was that it was quite complicated.

Here is a link that tells you WHO can apply for the LCP and what you need to qualify:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/apply-who.asp

Major requirements include proficiency in English or French. You must also have a high school diploma (or equivalent from your home country). You have to have at least (i) six months' relevant training, such as a nursing degree or a teaching degree or other child care diploma; OR (ii) one years' experience with caregiving.

There are other requirements as well, just read the information in the link.

We did manage to have our future nanny apply and get into the program without leaving the country. But she did have to apply to a Canadian embassy OUTSIDE of Canada. This can lead to complications, for example, if they call you and require an interview (because then you might have to travel to that place outside of Canada for an interview). Most TFW inside Canada who want to apply to the LCP seem to apply to Buffalo or Seattle, or I suppose to the Canadian embassy in their home country. We applied to Buffalo. They did not require an interview, thank goodness!

It took us 3.5 months to get the LMO. Then it took 2 months once she submitted her application to Buffalo. Once Buffalo approved her application, she then had to travel to a border crossing and "flagpole" in order to get her work permit. All together, it took us about 7 months total.

Anyway, it is possible, but it can be tricky, and you must apply to an embassy OUTSIDE of Canada.

Good luck to you!

Alizee

May 20, 2012
Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I have just read your thread, and have another question: the 6 month training your live-in caregiver got in Canada - does it count towards qualification?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You should have at least one year work experience as a nanny/caregiver or have a 6-month care giving certificate to qualify under the program.

Alizee said:
Thank you very much for the detailed reply! I have just read your thread, and have another question: the 6 month training your live-in caregiver got in Canada - does it count towards qualification?

lucybear05

Star Member
Mar 17, 2012
My nanny received no "training" in Canada. She has been working as a nanny here for about 1.5 to 2 years already. She just wasn't in the live-in caregiver program. My understanding is that the government is getting more and more strict about requiring ALL foreign nannies permitted into Canada to be coming here under the live-in caregiver program. I am told there aren't going to be issuing regular TFW LMO's and work permits for nannies anymore. It is ALL to be through the LCP. So I think my nanny - who was a TFW but working as a nanny, but just NOT in the LCP - is unusual, and will become more rare.

Anyway, hope that makes sense. She had no "training" (her degree was in midwifery, which doesn't count as I understand it), but she had the childcare experience.

Alizee

May 20, 2012
I am sorry - I mixed you up with another poster. Here is the quote from his post:

"While in Canada she completed a Health Care Aide (PSW, nursing attendant) course. The course was just less than 6 months full time, so she did not need a study permit. (already had that fight with the visa office in Jamaica, and we won)."

Would something like this qualify me for complying with LCP?

Thanks!

Martin58474

Feb 3, 2014
For anyone who reads this post at a later date: if you are a nanny considering comeing to Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program please make sure you know your rights inside and out. There have been cases of employers getting away with not paying a minimum wage, overtime, etc...