+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Foreign work experience

forever21

Star Member
Nov 17, 2014
Hi guys!
I have a weird question :D

I qualify in EE under CEC (1.5 years of work experience) and FST (5years of foreign experience in the same NOC as in Canada) although I don't want to be considered under FST (it would be very hard to get references and employment records from abroad)

Is it ok if I only mention my canadian experience? Or do I need to provide all details about my previous jobs?

Same question for my partner, do we need to give a list of all previous employment? (none of the occupations were in skilled NOC which means no points were awarded)

Thanks a lot & good luck everyone ;D

plasticrhythm

Feb 8, 2015
I have the same question- is it a requirement to list all work experience or just that for which points are being claimed? For example, a spouse does not receive points for foreign work experience, therefore is it necessary to include it?

forever21

Star Member
Nov 17, 2014
plasticrhythm said:
I have the same question- is it a requirement to list all work experience or just that for which points are being claimed? For example, a spouse does not receive points for foreign work experience, therefore is it necessary to include it?
We are in the same boat.

I don't want to get stuck with my application trying to get reference letters etc from abroad...

narby

Star Member
Jan 13, 2015
forever21 said:
We are in the same boat.

I don't want to get stuck with my application trying to get reference letters etc from abroad...
exactly.
I am so so frustrated right now cus of reference letters.
I will consider full out this invitation. I got invited FST.

forever21

Star Member
Nov 17, 2014
narby said:
exactly.
I am so so frustrated right now cus of reference letters.
I will consider full out this invitation. I got invited FST.
I deleted all of my foreign experience and also most of my partners Canadian experience (just left the current job), my score goes down automatically, but only by 25 points. Now I'm only eligible to apply under CEC.

bimbim

Star Member
Jun 2, 2013
Guys, what else is required apart from a reference letter from a previous employer outside Canada?
I can contact my previous employer to get me a reference letter but I can't get pay stubs as this isn't used in my country of origin.
Will a reference letter be enough?

delorean

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
forever21 said:
Hi guys!

I qualify in EE under CEC (1.5 years of work experience) and FST (5years of foreign experience in the same NOC as in Canada) although I don't want to be considered under FST (it would be very hard to get references and employment records from abroad)

Is it ok if I only mention my canadian experience? Or do I need to provide all details about my previous jobs?

Same question for my partner, do we need to give a list of all previous employment? (none of the occupations were in skilled NOC which means no points were awarded)

I'm in the same boat too.
And I have one more issue. I was a freelancer for a few years. But I need to reference letter for it. I don't know why I need to submit reference letter for freelancer. There were check box for freelancer when I entry. But, that's useless. So, I will delete my work experience while I was freelancer.

plasticrhythm

Feb 8, 2015
So we are all in the same boat :-\ I have heard that after you get an ITA there is a separate section where you provide personal history from the past ten years inc education, employment etc so perhaps for work experience when setting up your express entry profile we only need to declare relevant experience for the purpose of gaining CRS points? For example a spouse would not need to declare foreign work experience as no points are awarded. Would like to be certain before I start deleting things!

biz

Dec 22, 2013
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
EE
Passport Req..
10-06-2016
LANDED..........
30-06-2016
forever21 said:
Hi guys!

Any idea guys how to resolve this or are we stuck and worried in gathering foreign work references in order to convince the VO?

plasticrhythm

Feb 8, 2015
There does not appear to be any clear instructions from CIC regarding this issue. I can't find any information on the CIC questions and answers pages on how far back you should go when listing your work experience. Also it is not mentioned anywhere in the instructions that you must include "all" work experience, so that would lead me to the conclusion that you should only list work experience for the purpose of gaining CRS points and that you should be certain you can prove it if you're going to list it. Would really like some clarification on this!

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Probably no one can concretely answer this because there is no formal guideline.

However, me as well as a few others are convinced that you should not mention your out of Canada experience.

To be clear we are a group of people under similar circumstances, highly skilled experienced professionals - been in Canada a year or more on LMO/LMIA based jobs.

Now we make EE score bar with only job offer and language test. So naturally no body is interested in wasting time, money and extra energy to triumph with achieving highest EE score.

One of us submitted his EE profile without ECA. He mentioned he has a foreign masters degree but did not claim points for it. He also indicated CEC as his preferred program though he mentioned his non Canada experience along as well (note that we all have declared past experiences in our work permit applications as well, so CIC does have that detail).

Unfortunately, he received ITA for FSW which he was obviously not interested in. FSW REQUIRES ECA and elaborated out of Canada experience letters which are immaterial in these cases. Hence he cancelled his ITA and resubmitted his profile WITHOUT OUT OF Canada experience and only mentioned more than one year of Canadian experience. Like OP, his score also went down by 20-30 points, but not much for him to worry.

So in the subsequent draw he should only qualify and get ITA for CEC.

We are hoping this works

hariskhan

Aug 23, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CIC has ALWAYS stated, at least under FSW, that whenever a prospective immigrant applies, they should demonstrate (with docs) the immediate last 10 years of work experience with their immigration application.

For some of the provincial programs, territorial programs, they ask for (immediate) last 5 years work experience. One province asks for 2 years work experience in the last 5 years time.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
There is no such requirement for CEC. Original poster also mentioned 1.5 years of Canadian experience.