+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

For people who received RQ, what do you think is the main reason?

chelavnzuo

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
The idea is to collect thoughts on possible RQ triggers so together we can learn how to deal with them more effectively.
Please also note whether it's pre-test or post-test RQ, and what documents were asked for in the RQ.

mathlete

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
chelavnzuo said:
The idea is to collect thoughts on possible RQ triggers so together we can learn how to deal with them more effectively.
Please also note whether it's pre-test or post-test RQ, and what documents were asked for in the RQ.
Pre Test RQ, Reason: Extensive travel. The original application forms don't ask much so they have very little to go as far as determining who gets an RQ and who doesn't.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The OB407A RQ Triage was obtained via an ATIP release and indicates even with non released revisions OB407D that self employment/unemployment with travel is the main trigger. The simple fact is that its easier to fake/cheat/fraud on residence if you are self employed/ unemployed.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
I like to know from experts that once a OHIP record shows several clinic visits each year then is it necessary to query further an application whether he is self employed or unemployed. CBSA record can be debated as it does not have exit but OHIP record swaps should be 100% authentic which proves persons physical presence inside Canada there is no reason to have CIC second thought on it.

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueshirt said:
OHIP record swaps should be 100% authentic which proves persons physical presence inside Canada there is no reason to have CIC second thought on it.
If you visit the Dr office everyday yes. Unfortunately we only see the doctor once in a while so, if your record shows visits on Jan 1st, Feb 8th and March 15 How do we know if you didn't leave Canada between Jan 2nd and Feb7th or between Feb8th and March 14??

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
The OB407A RQ Triage was obtained via an ATIP release and indicates even with non released revisions OB407D that self employment/unemployment with travel is the main trigger. The simple fact is that its easier to fake/cheat/fraud on residence if you are self employed/ unemployed.
This is correct....I travelled four times in four years without being employed and got an RQ...during the interview I was asked who paid for the expenses and I told the truth....I used miles collected and my spouse paid for the trip along with my savings.

I sent all the papers they required and the entire process lasted only 15 months

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
blueshirt said:
I like to know from experts that once a OHIP record shows several clinic visits each year then is it necessary to query further an application whether he is self employed or unemployed. CBSA record can be debated as it does not have exit but OHIP record swaps should be 100% authentic which proves persons physical presence inside Canada there is no reason to have CIC second thought on it.
Sorry no dice...do the math and compare no of 'self employed' days versus days 'visiting the doctor' in the 1095 days...the ratio isn't even close unless you have the bad luck of seeing the doctor most of the week. Nothing you can do but wait and see if you oath without an RQ.

whiterose232

Jun 30, 2014
chelavnzuo said:
I was handed over RQ at the time of the citizenship test on Mar 2011. The reason was that my old passport had a valid UAE resident visa until 2007. Although I never visited UAE after I landed in Canada on May 2006 and there was no entry or exit stamp but the Officer didn't agree and handed me the RQ. I submitted all the required docs within the stipulated time and since then there is no news from CIC,

sweetakash

Star Member
Sep 24, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Transferred to Ottawa CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-SEP-2011
AOR Received.
8-NOV-2011
File Transfer...
8-NOV-2011
Med's Request
8-NOV-2011
Med's Done....
28-NOV-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-JAN-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-JAN-2012
LANDED..........
10-JAN-2012
chelavnzuo said:
Following is the list of reasons I compiled that could trigger RQ...

If you fall in any of the following categories then it may trigger RQ in your case...

1) Self-Employed, Own a business
2) Work on contracts basis, freelancing
3) Unemployed for some period during the 4 years of residence history
4) Too many travels out of Canada to other countries, say USA
5) Too many travels out of Canada to your native place
6) Extended stays out of Canada (say long vacations like 2-3 months at a stretch)
7) Family Application without child(ren's) school records (for children of school age)
Mismatches/missing stamps on passport with respect to the corresponding visits you made
9) Travel out of Canada during unemployment time
10) Missed to report any absence in Residence Calculator

Lorris

Star Member
Jan 25, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Triaged under OB-407D (note in ATIP report). Most likely got RQ'ed due to an international travel during a period of unemployment. It did seem like a good idea back then.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Commentary on getting RQ for "taking too many trips outside Canada"

I know that "a lot of trips" is seen as an RQ trigger by many, but, despite all the ATIPs on RQ triggers and interpretation, there's no documentation showing that this is really a problem. The only cases would be for those who declared less than 1095 days of physical presence or had discrepancies from CIC/CBSA info of 5 days or more in their residence calculations.

The OB 407 RQ trigger list that Msafiri referred to: http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/ backs this up. A4 (discrepancies in dates from CIC/CBSA info) or A5 (travel + freelance, consultant or unemployment during 4 year period, even if they don't happen at the same time) are the closest.

While the CIC has changed the triggers since this was (mistakenly) released, all indications are that it's gotten less rigorous and that many triggers (including A5) have been significantly refined or eliminated.

The only chance most applicants have of really knowing what triggered their RQs are ATIP reports (physical or electronic notes). These don't always show the reason, but when they do, it's dependable information and it takes the guesswork out of things.