+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fiance/Future Wife sponsorship; which form?

Sep 15, 2016
Hi everyone, I am getting married in about 3 weeks time and have just finalized the officiant :)

I am Canadian citizen and she is British. We met while studying at uni and we have been dating for almost 6 years now; finally last year I proposed -she said yes :) - phew! We finally saved for our wedding and will be doing it in October after some long distance - working and saving. She is currently here in Vancouver at the moment for the last 2 weeks as we organize the final details for the big day!

It has been a long journey and we are both proud of what we have accomplished!!

Now our next step is starting a family here, however, I do not know which form do I submit to apply for her permanent residency? I hear the process will take 6-8 months just to hear if it is approved or not? I wish to submit the form after our wedding as we are extremely tied up with the details of the big day at the moment... Also what documents will be needed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations!

Start by reading this:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

You basically have to send everything at once (Your application to sponsor and related documents, her application for PR and related document, all of your evidence of your relationship, as well as the fees ($1040 CAD).

The biggest decision will be whether to submit an Inland application, or an Outland application. FYI, she can apply Outland even if she is IN Canada when the application is submitted. Outland is substantially faster! As long as she maintains (extends) her visitor status, she can likely remain in Canada the entire time while she `visits' you. ;)

Good luck!

Sep 15, 2016
Thank you so much for your help!! I have gone through Inland and Outland and am leaning towards Inland, as we would like to stay together here while it processes...

Having that in mind, normally I assume she can only stay for six months, if we head to the states for shopping, will it renew her six months? or will we need to contact another department to extend her stay? While the application is being processed...

Also, knowing the process of applying may take awhile to complete or to get approval, is there a way that she can get a work visa that I can send with the application? I am able to support her for however long she needs, but it'll be depressing for her to stay at home for however long the process will take.... What are your thoughts on this?

We both appreciate your help greatly! Thank you!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
vancouverite007 said:
Thank you so much for your help!! I have gone through Inland and Outland and am leaning towards Inland, as we would like to stay together here while it processes...

Having that in mind, normally I assume she can only stay for six months, if we head to the states for shopping, will it renew her six months? or will we need to contact another department to extend her stay? While the application is being processed...

Also, knowing the process of applying may take awhile to complete or to get approval, is there a way that she can get a work visa that I can send with the application? I am able to support her for however long she needs, but it'll be depressing for her to stay at home for however long the process will take.... What are your thoughts on this?

We both appreciate your help greatly! Thank you!
Inland Principal Applicants are eligible for an Open Work Permit. Send this application in together with your inland PR application package. It will take about 4 months to get it, and while waiting you are under what is known as "implied status" -- until they say no, you are ok. This means the PA won't have to leave when you file. Pay for the OWP (Work permit is $100 I think), and pay the Open Work Permit Holder fee as well. Together they are C$255.

It is not really a good idea to leave Canada until they complete the process. The reason is, if the CBSA decides to refuse re-entry for whatever reason (the decision is totally up to the CBSA agent you talk to), your application could be deemed abandoned. Then you would have to re-apply. Some have said they didn't have any troubles -- but you run the risk.

Process is posted to take 26 months as of right now. But they are dramatically speeding that up as of late. Some who applied in March are landing already.

Good luck with everything... hope that helps!

EDIT: Here is a link to the OWP package: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp . Send it with your application, and leave details about the employer blank. That signals to the CIC that you are applying for an OWP.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You can apply outland or inland. This does not refer to where the applicant is during processing. For inland, she has to be living with you in Canada during processing, and you are advised to not leave. Inland usually takes a long time, but as noted above it seems to have gotten faster lately. As she is British, she probably would not have any trouble getting back into Canada if she did leave, but it is a risk.

For outland, she can come to Canada as a visitor and stay with you while the application is being processed. Usually, outland is much faster, and she does not have to stay in Canada. If she wants to stay, she can apply to extend her stay about one month before it would expire. People from the UK are usually given 6 months on entry.

If she applies inland, she can also apply for an open work permit. It takes about 4 months to get it. Note that generally someone from the UK who applies outland could expect to get their PR in only a few months more than that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
vancouverite007 said:

As Ponga stated in the first reply, she can be in Canada as a visitor while applying outland. Outland is faster and there is no risk to the app if she needs to leave Canada at any point.

Doing a border run to renew her visitor status is not advised If the CBSA officer decides that she is trying to live in Canada as a visitor, she can be refused entry. She should apply online to extend her visitor status.

Sep 15, 2016
Thank you everyone that has helped!

We had an amazing ceremony and all friends and family had a blast!!

Regarding the application, we will be doing Inland as we'd like to stay here in Vancouver and not be seperated!
We plan to submit in the next coming weeks, and only time we are both leaving Canada is to visit her family for 2 weeks during xmas.

We have been busy filling out these forms and documenting everything with lots of pictures, travel documents and all the fun paperwork stuff! Also waiting in on our official wedding certificate as well so I can get this framed! Should I include this in the Inland application as well?

As for an open work permit, can someone kindly point me to the exact one?
we clicked around and found the following:
IMM5556
IMM5409
IMM5476
IMM5710

Thank you so much for all your help!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
vancouverite007 said:
Thank you everyone that has helped!

We had an amazing ceremony and all friends and family had a blast!!

Regarding the application, we will be doing Inland as we'd like to stay here in Vancouver and not be seperated!
We plan to submit in the next coming weeks, and only time we are both leaving Canada is to visit her family for 2 weeks during xmas.

We have been busy filling out these forms and documenting everything with lots of pictures, travel documents and all the fun paperwork stuff! Also waiting in on our official wedding certificate as well so I can get this framed! Should I include this in the Inland application as well?

As for an open work permit, can someone kindly point me to the exact one?
we clicked around and found the following:
IMM5556
IMM5409
IMM5476
IMM5710

Thank you so much for all your help!
Yes submit the marriage certificate.

OWP: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

In the form where it asks work permit type: Open work permit.

Omit all employer and job details. Submit this with your PR and sponsorship applications all together. Pay the fees online: Work Permit + Open Work Permit Holder fees: C $255.

Sep 15, 2016
Hi Profiler,

Thank you for your response! I just realized I missed our post earlier as you gave me advice on the OWP already.... My apologies for overlooking, thank you for responding again!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
vancouverite007 said:
Hi Profiler,

Thank you for your response! I just realized I missed our post earlier as you gave me advice on the OWP already.... My apologies for overlooking, thank you for responding again!
Hey no worries.. and congrats on the wedding. I seemed to have missed my invitation..

They have yet to announce the continuation of the OWP + Inland program (despite it being wildly successful according to independent audits performed at the request of CIC). So it may disappear in December. So keep your eyes on that ... You might want to hunt that marriage certificate down and file before the first week of December if you want to take advantage of that. I suspect it will be continued again given the positive feedback from the independent audit team. But just in case..

Also if your partner wants an unrestricted OWP, they should do an upfront medical and include a copy of the eMedical report with the OWP package. The medical will be required anyway, so might as well have the unrestricted OWP too, right?

Best of luck!

Sep 15, 2016
Thanks Ponga! I am now looking into the total fees as well. Thanks to Profiler and CanadianWoman I've got all the Inland PR forms sorted as well as the OWP Forms....

Just wondering what the cost is??
1) Ponga stated that the fees come to 1040cad... however I found this cic.gc[dot]ca/english/information/fees/result.asp?countrySelect=CA&lob=clc to be "75CAD - for me as sponsor application" and "475CAD - for my now wife's Inland PR Application" total of 550CAD. Neither of us have any dependent children and I am sponsoring only 1 individual - my now wife. Paying in Canada. Why was it 1040CAD?

Also with Profiler's source on OWP, I found this cic.gc[dot]ca/english/information/fees/result.asp?countrySelect=CA&lob=clc and its "155CAD Work Permit" and "100CAD Open Work Permit Holder" total of 255CAD

So my total would be 550 (Spousal Inland Sponsorship for PR & My Sponsor Application) + 255 (Work Permit + Open Work Permit Holder)= 805CAD
Is this correct?

2) Just to clarify, only Inland PR applications are eligible for OWP yes? I assume it is as it makes no sense for Outland PR Applicants to get OWP as they are not in the country

3) Thanks Profiler, what is the difference of unrestricted OWP compared to OWP??? Trying to learn as much as possible, I did read about the medical exam tho and should I book her in for one at our family doctor?

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
vancouverite007 said:
Thanks Ponga! I am now looking into the total fees as well. Thanks to Profiler and CanadianWoman I've got all the Inland PR forms sorted as well as the OWP Forms....

Just wondering what the cost is??
1) Ponga stated that the fees come to 1040cad... however I found this cic.gc[dot]ca/english/information/fees/result.asp?countrySelect=CA&lob=clc to be "75CAD - for me as sponsor application" and "475CAD - for my now wife's Inland PR Application" total of 550CAD. Neither of us have any dependent children and I am sponsoring only 1 individual - my now wife. Paying in Canada. Why was it 1040CAD?

Also with Profiler's source on OWP, I found this cic.gc[dot]ca/english/information/fees/result.asp?countrySelect=CA&lob=clc and its "155CAD Work Permit" and "100CAD Open Work Permit Holder" total of 255CAD

So my total would be 550 (Spousal Inland Sponsorship for PR & My Sponsor Application) + 255 (Work Permit + Open Work Permit Holder)= 805CAD
Is this correct?

2) Just to clarify, only Inland PR applications are eligible for OWP yes? I assume it is as it makes no sense for Outland PR Applicants to get OWP as they are not in the country

3) Thanks Profiler, what is the difference of unrestricted OWP compared to OWP??? Trying to learn as much as possible, I did read about the medical exam tho and should I book her in for one at our family doctor?
Fees:
$75 for sponsorship app
$475 for PR app
$490 for Right of Permanent Residency Fee (this will have to be paid at some point, paying upfront means your case wouldn't be slowed down by them waiting for it)
-------
$1040

OWP:
$100 OWP
$155 OWP Holder Fee
------
$255

Unrestricted OWP means there is no restrictions with respect to "at risk" exposure. For example: medical, working with kids, etc. Supplying the eMedical would give your partner unrestricted access to working here. If not supplied, they might impose a restriction on their OWP that states they can't work with kids, etc. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/admissibility/medical.asp

With respect to medicals: It must be a CIC panel physician. You can find a list here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx

And finally, yes only inlanders can get the OWP. You can apply for just a work permit, but that would require a company who wants to hire your partner, and would require them to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). This is costly and does take time. It's not impossible to go this way, but it's very limited in scope compared to the OWP.

EDIT: Because I gave you a link to the Temporary Worker Operational Manual, here is the one specific to Open Work Permits: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/admissibility/open.asp . It does state there that the UK is exempted from requiring a medical for OWP's. But it will be required regardless (and they will only make you do one). Totally up to you if you want to do it upfront or not..

Sep 15, 2016
Hi Profiler, thank you for the help!

Just finished her medical exam with a CIC panel physician, boy were they booked! So glad that is all sorted, medical check, blood and urine and xrays all done 2 days ago. Our next step is to pay off all the other fees which you have stated!

I have a question regarding the Inland Checklist form IMM 5443:

Part 1 For the applicant and his or her dependent Children:
Indication of status in Canada eg. vistor visa, study permmit... etc... - She has her British passport stamped, and we provided proof for the early queston. However, aside from the stamp on passport, there was no visiter visa paper work or anything, do I leave this unticked?
Original Police Certificates - what is this?
Optional: proof of completeion of the upfront medical examinatin from the Panel Physician...... - I assume I attached the CIC Panel Physician Report we completed 2 days ago?

Part 3 For both of you:
Photographs of Marriage or common Law relationship ceremony - we attach our certificate and wedding pictures
Proof of conjugal relationship eg. commitment, housing and financial arrangements, social activities.... - what is this? We have printed a bunch of pictures from the beginning of our relationship all the way to our recent wedding ceremony. Is this sufficient? Do I put 'x' in box? I dont understand as it says conjugal but technically we are married now.
Declaration of severance of common-law relationship - what is this?

So far these are the questions on the checklist I'd to clarify.... Thank you so much for the help, this forum has been extremely helpful!!!

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
vancouverite007 said:
Part 1 For the applicant and his or her dependent Children:
Indication of status in Canada eg. vistor visa, study permmit... etc... - She has her British passport stamped, and we provided proof for the early queston. However, aside from the stamp on passport, there was no visiter visa paper work or anything, do I leave this unticked?
Your partner was granted a visitor visa at the border. Stamp or not. Paperwork or not. They are not a student or a worker I assume. Therefore Visitor.

vancouverite007 said:
Original Police Certificates - what is this?
You have to supply a police certificate for every country your partner was in for more than 6 months. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/security/police-cert/index.asp

vancouverite007 said:
Optional: proof of completeion of the upfront medical examinatin from the Panel Physician...... - I assume I attached the CIC Panel Physician Report we completed 2 days ago?
Yup. Include the eMedical paper (copy).

vancouverite007 said:
Photographs of Marriage or common Law relationship ceremony - we attach our certificate and wedding pictures
Wedding photos, certificate is enough.

vancouverite007 said:
Proof of conjugal relationship eg. commitment, housing and financial arrangements, social activities....
You're married. N/A.

EDIT: You can send in anything that is joint, proving you and your wife are living together. Things like insurance policies, lease/mortgage/rental agreements, utilities, etc etc. Photos are good here too.

vancouverite007 said:
Declaration of severance of common-law relationship - what is this?
If you were in a common-law relationship where there would be proof (other than just two people residing at the same address) you will have to whip up a statement stating you are no longer in that relationship as of xx date.

vancouverite007 said:
Hi Profiler, thank you for the help!
You are most welcome. My pleasure.