+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

February 2020 Spousal sponsorship Outland

TamaraTZ

Jan 22, 2020
One point on this - the effect of the measures you've cited here have one common feature, they REDUCE or leave unaffected the amount of cross-border travel during this pandemic.

-The student program on PGWP reduces the requirement for students to physically be present in Canada to study and be eligible for PGWP. Other student visa changes - e.g. the two-stage approval - also have the effect of reducing the need and ability of students to get visas and travel while the covid travel restrictions remain in effect.

-As I understand the open work permit change, it removes the requirement for those applying for OWP based on employer offer to leave Canada and return. Again, reduces travel.

-The 'pathway to PR' for asylum claimants giving exceptional service is different, as it's time-limited (applied only to those who did such exceptional service before a specific date - I think before the date of announcement), hence cannot be any effect in terms of encouraging anyone to enter Canada or travel.

This doesn't contradict most of your arguments about how difficult it is for spouses and whether government should 'do something' - but the fact that these programs (taken as a whole) reduce travel does not support your argument that 'government did something for them, they should do something for us.'

My point is: by all means pressure government to do more to speed things up and remove barriers for bona fide spouses to reunite. But this pressure can be applied and argument can be made without comparing to other changes made for those in different situations/other applicant classes - particularly since the comparisons you made don't actually support your point.
Totally agree

Paul09

Dec 3, 2014
One point on this - the effect of the measures you've cited here have one common feature, they REDUCE or leave unaffected the amount of cross-border travel during this pandemic.

-The student program on PGWP reduces the requirement for students to physically be present in Canada to study and be eligible for PGWP. Other student visa changes - e.g. the two-stage approval - also have the effect of reducing the need and ability of students to get visas and travel while the covid travel restrictions remain in effect. (I was an international Student and loved this measure when they announced it)

-As I understand the open work permit change, it removes the requirement for those applying for OWP based on employer offer to leave Canada and return. Again, reduces travel. (This was a special pilot project they were running to give Open work permit to Inland Spousal applications, which was set to expire for new applications, but they extended it. Great deal for Inland applicants, kudos to Ottawa!!)

-The 'pathway to PR' for asylum claimants giving exceptional service is different, as it's time-limited (applied only to those who did such exceptional service before a specific date - I think before the date of announcement), hence cannot be any effect in terms of encouraging anyone to enter Canada or travel. (To get my own PR, I worked in a Category A and had to work 1560 hrs in 365 Days, to be eligible for Express entry, this one just need 120 hours between March 13, 2020, and August 14, 2020 (5Months), Cheers!! to Ottawa this will help our brothers and sisters, to get there Permanent Resident)

This doesn't contradict most of your arguments about how difficult it is for spouses and whether government should 'do something' - but the fact that these programs (taken as a whole) reduce travel does not support your argument that 'government did something for them, they should do something for us.'

My point is: by all means pressure government to do more to speed things up and remove barriers for bona fide spouses to reunite. But this pressure can be applied and argument can be made without comparing to other changes made for those in different situations/other applicant classes - particularly since the comparisons you made don't actually support your point.
My point is not opposing or Contradicting these measures, at all. My focus is if changes can be made for all, why not for outland spousal Applicants. Show me one measure they have taken to compensate COVID-19. They are now sitting on a huge backlog of outland spousal applications.

My focus is on, why they are not standing on what they said. After applying for TRV's I reached them over webform numerous times and if I show you their totally out of subject generic response, you will lose your mind too, thinking are they even real.

Last edited:

1melisheikh

Aug 27, 2020
My husband received three emails after his biomatics the second one says The envelope for the decision on the results of your visa that has been processed has been received at the Canadian.
The third one says has been received at the Canada Visa Application Centre. When will we know when it’s approved?

Mistersponsor

Star Member
Mar 9, 2020
Same here, got the same info as you. Medical comes a little bit later, a couple of days or a week or so... when did IRCC receive your application?
My wife got biometrics request back in March. It is now Sept and she still has not received medical request. So it is not a week later ...

SubnormalFever

Star Member
Aug 23, 2020
My wife got biometrics request back in March. It is now Sept and she still has not received medical request. So it is not a week later ...
Well it depends the country of the PA... if clinic / biometrics offices are closed or the country's lockdown policy is in place... too many factors to take into consideration! Plus, you got your email riiiiiight before IRCC stopped assessing our applications! All I know is that usually, that's how it's supposed to be, and now that they're working on some applications, things come one after the other!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Well it depends the country of the PA... if clinic / biometrics offices are closed or the country's lockdown policy is in place... too many factors to take into consideration! Plus, you got your email riiiiiight before IRCC stopped assessing our applications! All I know is that usually, that's how it's supposed to be, and now that they're working on some applications, things come one after the other!
Yes, it seems applicants from some countries get medical requests later in the process (presumably to avoid having to repeat the meds if it goes longer, and from some countries, not uncommon).

So important therefore to specify which country the applicant is from and/or which visa office.

Reactions: SubnormalFever

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My point is not opposing or Contradicting these measures, at all. My focus is if changes can be made for all, why not for outland spousal Applicants. Show me one measure they have taken to compensate COVID-19. They are now sitting on a huge backlog of outland spousal applications.
My point is that citing changes that have been made to other programs that have the effect of reducing the need/demand/ability for people to travel to Canada does not support your point. Just make the point that something needs to be done to deal with the backlog.

My focus is on, why they are not standing on what they said. After applying for TRV's I reached them over webform numerous times and if I show you their totally out of subject generic response, you will lose your mind too, thinking are they even real.
I can agree with you - without knowing details of the TRV applications and refusals - that more needs to be done.

But: can you show me where the government has not "stood by what they said"? The June 8 announcement that immediate family members was very clear, that anyone entering under this exemption would need an ETA or a valid visa.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/cross-border-families-can-now-reunite-under-new-exemption-1.4974140

"For people traveling from abroad, they must still have a valid visa or Electronic Travel Authorization.”

Unfortunately this was reported in a lot of news articles without noting this very important qualification. (Always check the official announcement - and even better, the actual published regulations).

Again, I can support that they should consider coming up with means to deal with the backlog and issuing more TRVs. And agree that the reasons for refusal remain unclear to many, when they should attempt to be more transparent.

But there is zero chance that the government will just open the doors and issue TRVs to all spouse-applicants. (I'm not saying this is what you've demanded, although some here have).

Personally I think the main thing that needs to be done is a serious plan to clear the backlog, with the requisite systems and staff costs.

Phalos

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2020
But there is zero chance that the government will just open the doors and issue TRVs to all spouse-applicants. (I'm not saying this is what you've demanded, although some here have).

Personally I think the main thing that needs to be done is a serious plan to clear
100% ZERO chance for universal TRV's...
Not sure how can people be so naive or maybe just lying to themselves to get thru the process.
to go from 95% trv refusal rate, to 100% approval rate......pipe dream.

LATIKA1610

Apr 4, 2019
Hi,
Please help me with queries below:-

1. I am PR holder and came to visit my husband in india. He has visitor visa. Can he travel to canada with me?

2. can he apply for open work permit from canada?

3. His PR file is already in process. File was received on feb 27th 2020.

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Hi,
Please help me with queries below:-

1. I am PR holder and came to visit my husband in india. He has visitor visa. Can he travel to canada with me?

2. can he apply for open work permit from canada?

3. His PR file is already in process. File was received on feb 27th 2020.
1. He can come to Canada with a valid visa, however the border officers have the final day when it comes to admission; currently you will also need a solid quarantine plan. How long have you been visiting him for? Canadian PR’s aren’t supposed to leave Canada for anything more than a week or two during the sponsorship process. It could impact your eligibility to sponsor if you have been outside of Canada for an extended period and my understanding is this was explained to you according to your previous posts?

2. Only inland applicants are eligible to apply for an OWP. To apply inland you would need to withdraw and re-apply.

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Ok, interesting! Much advice has been given to the contrary. I suppose it depends on how long outside of the country they would consider you ‘living’ elsewhere.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I called CIC they said it doesnt matter to them
I would not rely upon this verbal guidance. There have been no updates that I'm aware of saying that the rules have been relaxed.

It may well be that they have come up with some internal guidance but until such time as it's published and confirmed, the "they told me on the phone it was okay" defence is useless.

At any rate, up to you, of course if you wish to risk it. I think it would make sense if they showed some flexibility, as well - only saying that if not in writing or official, it'll be your problem.