+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship: For Other Relatives

emonsanto

Dec 6, 2013
Hello guys! I just read the passage below from the CIC website (cic. gc. ca/ english/ information/ applications/ family. asp):
You can sponsor:

* brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
* another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below).
* accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children).

Note: You can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
You see, my wife has an unmarried aunt who's a Canadian citizen in Toronto and whose parents (my wife's grandparents) are already deceased. My wife's aunt still has brothers, sisters, other nephews and nieces, although they have no intentions to go to Canada. Given this scenario, I'm kind of wondering if my wife falls under the 2nd category ("another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions").

Is this correct? Can my wife be sponsored by her aunt?

Your feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You provide insufficient facts. Concentrate on the note and on the first category. Your aunt is unmarried, but does she have siblings nephews or nieces who are orphaned, under the age of 18, unmarried and not in a common law relationship? If she has any of these, they could be sponsored as members of the family class under the first category in which case the aunt would not be able to sponsor your wife under the second category. The fact that they may not want to be sponsored is irrelevant: the test is 'who could be sponsored'. If your aunt has no one falling under the first category, your wife might qualify; but I would not swear to it!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

emonsanto said:
Hello guys! I just read the passage below from the CIC website (cic. gc. ca/ english/ information/ applications/ family. asp):
You see, my wife has an unmarried aunt who's a Canadian citizen in Toronto and whose parents (my wife's grandparents) are already deceased. My wife's aunt still has brothers, sisters, other nephews and nieces, although they have no intentions to go to Canada. Given this scenario, I'm kind of wondering if my wife falls under the 2nd category ("another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions").

Is this correct? Can my wife be sponsored by her aunt?

Your feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!
1. If the Aunt's parents and grandparents are deceased, she has has no children, unmarried, and not in C/law relationship,and she doesn't have a brother/sister/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew in Canada, then she can sponsor if she meets the LICO.

Reactions: Blueangel

emonsanto

Dec 6, 2013
wowsers said:
You provide insufficient facts. Concentrate on the note and on the first category. Your aunt is unmarried, but does she have siblings nephews or nieces who are orphaned, under the age of 18, unmarried and not in a common law relationship? If she has any of these, they could be sponsored as members of the family class under the first category in which case the aunt would not be able to sponsor your wife under the second category. The fact that they may not want to be sponsored is irrelevant: the test is 'who could be sponsored'. If your aunt has no one falling under the first category, your wife might qualify; but I would not swear to it!
wowsers, thanks for the input. On the first category, the aunt does have siblings, nephews and nieces, but all are over 18. And I do have to verify the marital status of each to answer that correctly.

emonsanto

Dec 6, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

1. If the Aunt's parents and grandparents are deceased, she has has no children, unmarried, and not in C/law relationship,and she doesn't have a brother/sister/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew in Canada, then she can sponsor if she meets the LICO.
Do the brother/sister/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew have to be in Canada? Or in the country of origin?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
I don't think that's quite right. Correction...it should read as follows:

"...and she doesn't have a brother/sister/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident " not that they should be "in Canada".

Of note, if the aunt has another niece or nephew who is under 22 and who is not married or in a common-law relationship, that would be whom she could sponsor.

PMM said:
Hi

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

SenoritaBella said:
I don't think that's quite right. Correction...it should read as follows:

"...and she doesn't have a brother/sister/aunt/uncle/niece/nephew who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident " not that they should be "in Canada".

Of note, if the aunt has another niece or nephew who is under 22 and who is not married or in a common-law relationship, that would be whom she could sponsor.
No, if she doesn't have any the named relatives resident in Canada, she can sponsor any other relative, it doesn't have to be a niece or a nephew.

emonsanto

Dec 6, 2013
Hi guys, thanks for all the feedback.

I just learned that the aunt has a niece who's a Canadian citizen too. So, that answers my initial question . :)