+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of pgwp

Vane2044

Nov 23, 2023
Hi everyone, is there anybody here who applied in second half of 2023? How long it took your file to be approved? My file submission date shows 19 September 2023. My file is still under process.
Did you get any update yet? Did it get approved? if yes, when did you get the approval? I applied Nov 23, 2023 and still waiting, more than 200 by now. What about yours?

Vane2044

Nov 23, 2023
Applied for PGWP extension on paper, received on December 23, 2023. Linked application online in March. Still stuck in background check, WTF.
Same here :( they received mine back in Nov 27th, 2023, Linked it in January and still in process. 200 days + now. Did you get any update?

Hollawaley

Aug 9, 2024
I had a similar case. I used paper application for extending my pgwp with new passport. I don’t think the website will allow / route you to go through online option. I too would have preferred online.
PGWP extension by public policy are different and can be applied online. That could have been one of the reason for the confusion.
But you should check with others. I’ll be surprised if you get online option in your case.
Same here

I was granted a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) on May 9, 2023. Unfortunately, this permit was issued with a validity period that aligned with the expiration of my passport on January 21, 2024. Upon renewing my passport in October 2023, I promptly submitted a paper application for an extension of my PGWP, which IRCC received on October 30, 2023. Despite my best efforts to follow up on my application, including multiple calls to the IRCC, I received no updates on the status of my extension request for several months. Sadly I received an update saying my application was administratively withdrawn on July 15th, 2024.

Message from IRCC
Your application has been administratively withdrawn. You were eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit valid until 2024/05/09. Because of the expiry date of your passport, the document # Uxxxxxxx was issued to you on 2023/05/09 valid until 2024/01/21. As the length you were eligible for has passed, you are no longer eligible for the remaining balance of your previous document.

I am so confused and don't know what to do.

AndyT

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Same here

I was granted a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) on May 9, 2023. Unfortunately, this permit was issued with a validity period that aligned with the expiration of my passport on January 21, 2024. Upon renewing my passport in October 2023, I promptly submitted a paper application for an extension of my PGWP, which IRCC received on October 30, 2023. Despite my best efforts to follow up on my application, including multiple calls to the IRCC, I received no updates on the status of my extension request for several months. Sadly I received an update saying my application was administratively withdrawn on July 15th, 2024.

Message from IRCC
Your application has been administratively withdrawn. You were eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit valid until 2024/05/09. Because of the expiry date of your passport, the document # Uxxxxxxx was issued to you on 2023/05/09 valid until 2024/01/21. As the length you were eligible for has passed, you are no longer eligible for the remaining balance of your previous document.

1 year program usually can get max 1 year of PGWP and 2 year program/s can get max 3 years of PGWP. It looks like that you have completed one year program hence you could have got max 1 year i.e. from May 2023 till May 2024 (even with renewed passport).

Vane2044

Nov 23, 2023
Same here

Message from IRCC

I’m not an expert but basically the PGWP extension on paper we talked in this thread is only due to passport expiration, so unfortunately for you the process time took so long that even the time you were eligible for PGWP passed, I guess it was only one year so that time was finished by May, that’s why they didn’t process any extension, when they start reviewing it the time has passed basically you got an extra month due to processing times.
The other thing you mentioned is that you wanted an extension by public policy and that is another completely different thing. So I guess you must have had to check back then how that one worked but your original PGWP time is over. :(

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Same here

Message from IRCC

Technically it worked in your favour so not sure what your question is here. If IRCC would have processed your application on time, your PGWP(with extension) would have already expired. You should be happy you got extra 3 months to work but now you might be out of status.

Hollawaley

Aug 9, 2024
Technically it worked in your favour so not sure what your question is here. If IRCC would have processed your application on time, your PGWP(with extension) would have already expired. You should be happy you got extra 3 months to work but now you might be out of status.
So what do you think I should do???

BTSDNA

Star Member
Oct 1, 2017
It's outrageous that they are counting the time they are taking to process applications towards the PGWP duration total. Under implied status you can't do almost anything other than keep working under the same employer. Can't even apply to provincial nomination programs.

Hollawaley

Aug 9, 2024
It's outrageous that they are counting the time they are taking to process applications towards the PGWP duration total. Under implied status you can't do almost anything other than keep working under the same employer. Can't even apply to provincial nomination programs.
Exactly my predicament, very ridiculous. I got multiple job offers that was withdrawn due to long waiting.

Reactions: BTSDNA

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Yeah, right. The processing delay actually gives you more time to work when you were not supposed to work.

• Angry
Reactions: BTSDNA