+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry: Relatives in Canada

ishamitt

Nov 18, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am in a common-law relationship and my partner is a Canadian Citizen (i.e he is living in Canada). He does have a sibling who's a Canadian citizen. I was wondering if I am supposed to say "Yes" to this question in my express entry profile:
Does Isha have a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada? (The relative must
be 18 or older and living in Canada.)?

Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

I am in a common-law relationship and my partner is a Canadian Citizen (i.e he is living in Canada). He does have a sibling who's a Canadian citizen. I was wondering if I am supposed to say "Yes" to this question in my express entry profile:
Does Isha have a relative who is a citizen or permanent resident of Canada? (The relative must
be 18 or older and living in Canada.)?

Thank you!
You should say no. This person isn't your relative.

ishamitt

Nov 18, 2022
You should say no. This person isn't your relative.
Thanks for responding! To confirm, I know that the person is not related to me but he's my common-law partner's sibling. I know that we can get points as long as the person is related to either me or my partner as mentioned below:

You can get additional points if you (or your spouse or common-law partner who will come with you to Canada) have a brother or sister who is:

• living in Canada and
  • a citizen or permanent resident of Canada

Am I not eligible because my partner is already living in Canada and not coming with me?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for responding! To confirm, I know that the person is not related to me but he's my common-law partner's sibling. I know that we can get points as long as the person is related to either me or my partner as mentioned below:

You can get additional points if you (or your spouse or common-law partner who will come with you to Canada) have a brother or sister who is:

• living in Canada and
  • a citizen or permanent resident of Canada

Am I not eligible because my partner is already living in Canada and not coming with me?
You cannot count any points for a common law partner or spouse who is already a Canadian. So no points for your partner's siblings or education or work experience or language abilities or anything else.

Reactions: ishamitt

ishamitt

Nov 18, 2022
You cannot count any points for a common law partner or spouse who is already a Canadian. So no points for your partner's siblings or education or work experience or language abilities or anything else.
Thanks.. I have another unrelated question: Currently, I have one year of experience in my TEER 3 job but next year it will be 2 years since I've been working so do I need to submit my profile again or are my points going to be recalculated automatically?