+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting car from Canada to US......any one done this?

cicuser

Star Member
Oct 11, 2017
Hello
Can you please explain what we need to do? I also moved from usa to Canada and bought my car to canada. Now moving back to usa so need to know what steps I need to follow ?
Hello, I crossed via rainbow bridge. In terms of car, I explicitly asked them that I need to import it back to US. They asked us to park and we went inside immigration office. After visa formality on 2nd floor, they told us to go downstairs to get car import process done. They wanted proof that the car was registered in US at some point. We had copy of bill of sale that we showed. They asked us to fill 3 forms that they had marked exact columns that need to be filled and helped us fill the form. They signed it and gave it back and asked us that we need to carry these forms to DMV. Forms are: DOT form, EPA form and CBP form.
We are yet to go to DMV. Will update once I complete that step.

Anpman

Apr 15, 2018
Hello, I crossed via rainbow bridge. In terms of car, I explicitly asked them that I need to import it back to US. They asked us to park and we went inside immigration office. After visa formality on 2nd floor, they told us to go downstairs to get car import process done. They wanted proof that the car was registered in US at some point. We had copy of bill of sale that we showed. They asked us to fill 3 forms that they had marked exact columns that need to be filled and helped us fill the form. They signed it and gave it back and asked us that we need to carry these forms to DMV. Forms are: DOT form, EPA form and CBP form.
We are yet to go to DMV. Will update once I complete that step.
Thank you so much !
Will you be able to guide me what all things to be done before leaving Canada-like inform CRA?

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
These post are very helpful. In my case - I am the only one on the car's title. I moved my car from USA to Canada in 2021. Now, I want to move it back to USA. But only my wife is moving first (on a visa). I am still in Canada. But when moving to border, we both will be there. So -
1. Should I include my wife in the current title to make sure we can import without any problem?
2.Do I need to have any documents related to this?