+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experienced Users/Asivad-Need clarifications on CRS, CEC & FSW scoring criteria

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Dear All,

I need some clarifications on clearly understanding the eligibility criteria and points system for
- Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS)
- Candian Experience Class (CEC)
- Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

I am clear with following points.
- CEC requires atleast 1 year of experience under Noc (Skill0,A,B)
- CEC full time (30*52=1560hrs)
- Does CEC consider research assistant and teaching assistant work experience during full-time study? NO
- Does CEC consider self-employed work in Canada? NO

I need some help on FSW criteria:
- FSW requires at least 1 year in past 10 years and experience should be under Noc (Skill0,A,B).
- Continuous or the equivalent in continuous part-time work.
- Does FSW consider work experience during years of full-time study?
- Does FSW consider research assistant and teaching assistant work experience during full-time study?
- Does FSW consider self-employed work in Canada?

I need some help on CRS criteria:
- Does CRS consider work experience during years of full-time study?
- Does CRS consider research assistant and teaching assistant work experience during full-time study?
- Does CRS consider self-employed work in Canada?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nalanda said:
I need some help on FSW criteria:
- FSW requires at least 1 year in past 10 years and experience should be under Noc (Skill0,A,B).
- Continuous or the equivalent in continuous part-time work.
- Does FSW consider work experience during years of full-time study? Yes.
- Does FSW consider research assistant and teaching assistant work experience during full-time study? Yes.
- Does FSW consider self-employed work in Canada? Yes.

I need some help on CRS criteria:
- Does CRS consider work experience during years of full-time study? Outside Canada, Yes. Inside Canada, No except for 4012.
- Does CRS consider research assistant and teaching assistant work experience during full-time study? Yes. Under 4012.
- Does CRS consider self-employed work in Canada? Yes. Has to be supported by a variety of documents, cannot be claimed by self declaration.
Do note that you just have to provide relevant and accurate information while creating the EE profile. The system 'knows' the answers to all these questions and will confirm your program eligibility and CRS accordingly, you don't need to know the answer to any/all of these questions to fill up the EE application.

All the best!

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
Do note that you just have to provide relevant and accurate information while creating the EE profile. The system 'knows' the answers to all these questions and will confirm your program eligibility and CRS accordingly, you don't need to know the answer to any/all of these questions to fill up the EE application.

All the best!
Thanks a lot, Asivad. I really appreciate your help. Recently, I received an ITA and I am confused whether to accept or decline it. That is the reason I asked so many questions.
Kindly, I request you to go through my below contents and suggest me whether to accept or decline the ITA.

Step1: For your information, I already submitted my EE application and then I noticed following information in my express entry profile details
Federal Skilled worker - Met
Canadian Experience Class - Met
PNP - Not met, Federal Skilled Trades - Not Met

Step2: Then I received the ITA from CIC to apply under Federal Skilled Worker for PR with the below components in the letter.
Age-100
Education-126
First Language (new IELTs)-96
Second Language -0
Canadian work experience - 35 (As you mentioned above for CRS, I believe self-employed (i.e., I have the contract signed with Government HR) and TA&RA (Noc4012) will be considered. I have explained in detail about my work experience listed in work history section)
Spouse education - 10
Spouse First Language -16
Spouse Canadian work Exp - 0
Skill Transferability- Education -50
Skill Transferability - Foreign Work Experience - 50
Total points score -483

For FSW, I assumed they would have calculated my scores likes this out of 100.
Language - 21/28 (Speaking 6.5, Listening-7, Reading -7, Writing -7)
Education - 23/25 (Masters at Canada, Bachelors outside Canada)
Abroad Experience - 11/15 ( 3 years continuous experience at TCS outside Canada)
Age - 12/12
Arranged employment-0/10
Adaptability -10/10 ( Spouse IELTS - 5 or Spouse Masters -5 or My Masters - 5)
Total - 77/100

Step3: Giving some detailed information
- I submitted my thesis on 31-Oct-2014 to the department. After thesis submission, graduate students automatically get deregistered for that term since course requirements are completed. I was waiting for my thesis defence date.
- I had my thesis defense on 20-Jan-2015.
- I received my "Statement of Degree Requirements Completed" on 23-Feb-2015 from the University.
- Then I applied for post-graduate work permit on 24-Feb-2015.
- My study permit was valid till 31-March-2015. From 1-April-2015, I was on implied status till 1-May-2015.
- But the date issue of PGWP is on 2-May-2015. I checked with CIC, they told me that my work experience counts from the day I submitted the PWGP application to CIC (i.e. from Feb2015).

Step 4: These are the work experiences I filled in my express entry work history section.

Job1 in Canada: Aug2015-current (900 hours)
Working with post-graduate work permit and no more a student

Job2 in Canada: Mar2015-July2015(self-employed, contract job, has a NOC code, full time- 700 hours)
started my work with implied status after receiving an email from CIC. Worked with post graduate work permit and no more a student

Job3 in Canada: Mar2015-July2015 (18hrs/week)
started my work with implied status after receiving an email from CIC. Worked with post graduate work permit and no more a student

Job4 in Canada: Jan2015-Apr2015 (separated in to two rows in the work history section)
Job4.1: March2015-Apr2015 (10hrs/week)
Job4.2: Jan2015-Feb2015 (10hrs/week)
worked with my study permit and no more a student

Job5 in Canada: Oct2014-Feb2015 (separated in to two rows in the work history section)
Job5.1: Nov2014-Feb2015 (20hrs/week)
worked with my study permit and no more a student (bcos I was deregistered by department waiting for my thesis comments from the committee)
Job5.2: Oct2014-Oct2014 (20 hrs/week)
worked with my study permit but I was a student.

Job6 in Canada: Nov2014-Feb2015 (5 hrs/week)
worked with my study permit and no more a student (bcos I was deregistered by department waiting for my thesis comments from the committee)

TEACHING and RESEARCH ASSISTANT JOBs starts from here Sep2011-Dec2014 - I was a Full time student
Job7 in Canada: Sep2014-Dec2014 (8 hrs/week)
worked as a teaching assistant with my study permit(rules changed from this year no need of offcampus work permit) and I was a student.

Job8 in Canada: Jan2014-Apr2014 (8 hrs/week)
worked as a web developer with my offcampus work permit and I was a student

Job9 in Canada: Sep2013-Apr2014 (8 hrs/week)
worked as a teaching assistant with my offcampus work permit and I was a student

Job10 in Canada: July2013-Dec2013 (8 hrs/week)

Job11 in Canada: Sep2012-Apr2013 (8 hrs/week)
worked as a teaching assistant with my offcampus work permit and I was a student

Job12 in Canada: Sep2011-Apr2012 (8 hrs/week)

Work experience outside Canada

Job13 in Outside Canada: June2008-July2011 (3 years)
worked as a software engineer in Outside Canada.

As you suggested in the previous thread, my self-employed work, teaching and research assistant work has been considered for FSW category. Am I correct?

Han

Feb 24, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2016
AOR Received.
08-01-2016
Passport Req..
20-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016 :)
- Does CRS consider work experience during years of full-time study? Outside Canada, Yes. Inside Canada, No except for 4012.
- Does CRS consider research assistant and teaching assistant work experience during full-time study? Yes. Under 4012.

Hi Asivad,

NOC 4012 done by international students can not be claimed for either FSW or CEC. Because work experience for CEC should be done while holding work permit!
Unless you mean that TA/RA could make people eligible to apply, but doesn't increase their score. Right?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Han said:

Hi Asivad,

NOC 4012 done by international students can not be claimed for either FSW or CEC. Because work experience for CEC should be done while holding work permit!
Unless you mean that TA/RA could make people eligible to apply, but doesn't increase their score. Right?
True. Cannot impact CRS for Canadian work experience. Purely for FSW eligibility.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nalanda said:
Thanks a lot, Asivad. I really appreciate your help. Recently, I received an ITA and I am confused whether to accept or decline it. That is the reason I asked so many questions.
Kindly, I request you to go through my below contents and suggest me whether to accept or decline the ITA.

Step1: For your information, I already submitted my EE application and then I noticed following information in my express entry profile details
Federal Skilled worker - Met
Canadian Experience Class - Met
PNP - Not met, Federal Skilled Trades - Not Met

Step2: Then I received the ITA from CIC to apply under Federal Skilled Worker for PR with the below components in the letter.
Age-100
Education-126
First Language (new IELTs)-96
Second Language -0
Canadian work experience - 35 (As you mentioned above for CRS, I believe self-employed (i.e., I have the contract signed with Government HR) and TA&RA (Noc4012) will be considered. I have explained in detail about my work experience listed in work history section)
Spouse education - 10
Spouse First Language -16
Spouse Canadian work Exp - 0
Skill Transferability- Education -50
Skill Transferability - Foreign Work Experience - 50
Total points score -483

For FSW, I assumed they would have calculated my scores likes this out of 100.
Language - 21/28 (Speaking 6.5, Listening-7, Reading -7, Writing -7)
Education - 23/25 (Masters at Canada, Bachelors outside Canada)
Abroad Experience - 11/15 ( 3 years continuous experience at TCS outside Canada)
Age - 12/12
Arranged employment-0/10
Adaptability -10/10 ( Spouse IELTS - 5 or Spouse Masters -5 or My Masters - 5)
Total - 77/100

Step3: Giving some detailed information
- I submitted my thesis on 31-Oct-2014 to the department. After thesis submission, graduate students automatically get deregistered for that term since course requirements are completed. I was waiting for my thesis defence date.
- I had my thesis defense on 20-Jan-2015.
- I received my "Statement of Degree Requirements Completed" on 23-Feb-2015 from the University.
- My study permit was valid till 31-March-2015. From 1-April-2015, I was on implied status till 1-May-2015.
- But the date issue of PGWP is on 2-May-2015. I checked with CIC, they told me that my work experience counts from the day I submitted the PWGP application to CIC (i.e. from Feb2015).

Step 4: These are the work experiences I filled in my express entry work history section.

Job1 in Canada: Aug2015-current (900 hours)
Working with post-graduate work permit and no more a student

Job2 in Canada: Mar2015-July2015(self-employed, contract job, has a NOC code, full time- 700 hours)

Job3 in Canada: Mar2015-July2015 (18hrs/week)

Job4 in Canada: Jan2015-Apr2015 (separated in to two rows in the work history section)
Job4.1: March2015-Apr2015 (10hrs/week)
Job4.2: Jan2015-Feb2015 (10hrs/week)
worked with my study permit and no more a student

Job5 in Canada: Oct2014-Feb2015 (separated in to two rows in the work history section)
Job5.1: Nov2014-Feb2015 (20hrs/week)
Job5.2: Oct2014-Oct2014 (20 hrs/week)
worked with my study permit but I was a student.

Job6 in Canada: Nov2014-Feb2015 (5 hrs/week)

TEACHING and RESEARCH ASSISTANT JOBs starts from here Sep2011-Dec2014 - I was a Full time student
Job7 in Canada: Sep2014-Dec2014 (8 hrs/week)
worked as a teaching assistant with my study permit(rules changed from this year no need of offcampus work permit) and I was a student.

Job8 in Canada: Jan2014-Apr2014 (8 hrs/week)

Job9 in Canada: Sep2013-Apr2014 (8 hrs/week)

Job10 in Canada: July2013-Dec2013 (8 hrs/week)

Job11 in Canada: Sep2012-Apr2013 (8 hrs/week)

Job12 in Canada: Sep2011-Apr2012 (8 hrs/week)

Work experience outside Canada

Job13 in Outside Canada: June2008-July2011 (3 years)
worked as a software engineer in Outside Canada.

As you suggested in the previous thread, my self-employed work, teaching and research assistant work has been considered for FSW category. Am I correct?
You have got 35 points for CWE which accrue to a married applicant with 1 year of CWE. How are you accounting for this? Bear in mind that you cannot claim CRS points for any Canadian work experience before being granted PGWP.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Dear Asivad,

I need a clarification on the start date of PGWP's work experience .

As already mentioned
- But the date issue of PGWP is on 2-May-2015.

Which of the 2 scenarios is correct:
a) Eligible to count the experience from the day I applied online for Post Graduate Work Permit (24-Feb-2015). (1 year completes = 24Feb2015 to 23Feb2016)
b) Eligible to count the experience from the date issued on the Post Graduate Work Permit (02-May-2015) . (1 year completes = 02May2015 to 01May2016)
c) Have you encountered any links for the start date of PGWP which discuss any of the above 2 scenarios?

wildemam

Nov 10, 2015
GTA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:

All the best!
Avisad
Canada does not allow full time studies and NOC 4012 full-time work simultaneously. In What circumstances does it count?

Nalanda
Refer to
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/definitions.asp

For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience requirement (e.g., post-graduate work permit).

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nalanda said:
Dear Asivad,

I need a clarification on the start date of PGWP's work experience .

As already mentioned
- But the date issue of PGWP is on 2-May-2015.

Which of the 2 scenarios is correct:
a) Eligible to count the experience from the day I applied online for Post Graduate Work Permit (24-Feb-2015). (1 year completes = 24Feb2015 to 23Feb2016)
b) Eligible to count the experience from the date issued on the Post Graduate Work Permit (02-May-2015) . (1 year completes = 02May2015 to 01May2016)
c) Have you encountered any links for the start date of PGWP which discuss any of the above 2 scenarios?
Not from the date of application. Count from the date of issue.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
wildemam said:
Avisad
Canada does not allow full time studies and NOC 4012 full-time work simultaneously. In What circumstances does it count?
It doesn't count for CRS points under Canadian work experience. It doesn't count under CEC. But it can be used to meet the eligibility criteria for FSWP.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
wildemam said:
Avisad

Nalanda
Refer to
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/definitions.asp

For a student who had graduated from a Canadian post-secondary institution, only work experience gained after graduation will count towards meeting the work experience requirement (e.g., post-graduate work permit).

Dear Wildemam,

Thanks for providing the information. As Asivad mentioned, this link also discusses part time TA/RA work experience might be considered for FSW.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=855&top=6

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Asivad Anac said:
You have got 35 points for CWE which accrue to a married applicant with 1 year of CWE. How are you accounting for this? Bear in mind that you cannot claim CRS points for any Canadian work experience before being granted PGWP.
Dear Asivad,

With regard to above question, I am providing below the break-up of my Canadian work experience which CIC might have considered for those 35 points.

Job1 in Canada: Aug2015-current (Total - 900 hours)

Job2 in Canada: May2015-July2015(self-employed, contract job, has a NOC code, full time- 450 hours)

Job3 in Canada: The following are part-time TEACHING and RESEARCH ASSISTANT jobs that have been done by me during the period Sep2011-Apr2015 of full time study.
1)Sep2011-Aug2012 - 390 hrs
2)Sep2012-Aug2013 - 390 hrs
3)Sep2013-Aug2014 - 475 hrs
4)Sep2014-Apr2015 - 195 hrs
Total - 1450 hrs

So total Canadian work experience - (900+450+1,450 =2,800hrs) in last 10 years. This is my understanding for those 35 points awarded under Canadian work experience (Total CRS = 100+126+96+35+10+16+0+50+50 = 483). Am I correct?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nalanda said:
Dear Asivad,

With regard to above question, I am providing below the break-up of my Canadian work experience which CIC might have considered for those 35 points.

Job1 in Canada: Aug2015-current (Total - 900 hours)

Job2 in Canada: May2015-July2015(self-employed, contract job, has a NOC code, full time- 450 hours)

Job3 in Canada: The following are part-time TEACHING and RESEARCH ASSISTANT jobs that have been done by me during the period Sep2011-Apr2015 of full time study.
1)Sep2011-Aug2012 - 390 hrs
2)Sep2012-Aug2013 - 390 hrs
3)Sep2013-Aug2014 - 475 hrs
4)Sep2014-Apr2015 - 195 hrs
Total - 1450 hrs

So total Canadian work experience - (900+450+1,450 =2,800hrs) in last 10 years. This is my understanding for those 35 points awarded under Canadian work experience (Total CRS = 100+126+96+35+10+16+0+50+50 = 483). Am I correct?
The system offers you 35 points based on your inputs. If you fiddle around with the inputs, you will figure out why you're getting those points. Once you've identified why you're getting those points, you can then start working out how to get valid reference letters to justify those points.

Recommend that you fiddle around with your profile to understand how and why you're getting those 35 points. That's really the crux of all this discussion.

Nalanda

Star Member
Dec 16, 2015
Thanks for your suggestions. I will play around with my work experience as you suggested.

Now I am unable to update my express entry profile, so I believe that I should be updating my experience in permanent residence application. After editing my application, where will I see the updated profile score?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nalanda said:
Thanks for your suggestions. I will play around with my work experience as you suggested.

Now I am unable to update my express entry profile, so I believe that I should be updating my experience in permanent residence application. After editing my application, where will I see the updated profile score?
Recommend that you decline this ITA and fiddle around with your EE profile then. At 483, you will get an ITA in every single draw.