+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Experience letter

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Maybe consider sending then a brief run down of your education out with Canada also. Just a brief summary - a paragraph for each term. Consider mentioning the modules / subjects you completed, your favorite teachers and some info about the weather on the day you completed the study. This will definitely be beneficial to the officer who is completing the assessment on your CANADIAN ONLY work experience / education.

Why you choose to thank someone who is suggesting you do something that COULD potentially CAUSE YOU PROBLEMS, I do not know!

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gmail04 said:
agreed! thanx for your contribution to CEC and IELTS forums!
cljw31 said:
Don't worry about him. You are doing a good job helping everyone!
Thanks folks! Thanks for the PM btw, totally agree with your observations LOL

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Andy2109 said:
"We are all teachers, or should be. Anyone who relays experience to another person is a teacher. Not to transmit your experience is to betray it."

Guys, we in the forum really appreciate your thoughts on the topic.
Thanks, you're a great contributor as well!

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
That escalated quite quickly! :eek: Come on guys, this is a forum to help each other out through information and experience sharing. Calling people out when they are trying to help is not exactly constructive. Discussion and rating advice on the other hand...much better!

We all know what's best for ourselves. If he chose to follow Johnny's advice and ends up shooting himself in the foot, than that's on him. The forum is supposed to stimulate conversation about different ideas and approaches. Each individual case is different, as is the approach.

Thanks everyone for sharing your opinions and experiences!

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
And for the record - some situations warrant an explanation (i.e. my experience). It is not required nor requested by CIC, directly or via the checklist. But if I am to make sure that they understand the circumstances, providing the explanation letter would only help facilitate that. Whether they think its extraneous or not, we cannot assume. Only time will tell. Good luck to us all.. :)

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I completely agree CEC. But I feel that is very different to the question asked and the advice that was provided, which is what I initially commented on: -

The question was what experience letters are required for CEC.
I stated experience in Canada (i.e. 13 months)
The user asking the question said he has reference letters for 12 out of 17 years.
He was told to write an explanation as to why he didn't have reference letters for the 5 yr period.

As CEC do not require reference letters for work experience out with Canada, it will not be of benefit to CIC or to the person making he application to send in a letter saying something LIKE "I was unable to get references for 5 out of 17 years of my experience due to x y or z". The simple reason this is not beneficial is because CEC do not want reference letters for the bulk of this time, nor will they want the reference letters he has for his work experience out with Canada - as they will not impact his eligibility / application. Work experience out with Canada does not improve your chances of being accepted - it is not relevant the application.

I think when someone comes on the forums not fully understanding the eligibility criteria for CEC, we all have an obligation to give them the best advice we can. I felt it was important that the user understands that there previous work experience will not benefit them in anyway when applying via CEC. It is solely based on work experience / education WITHIN Canada.

Maybe I didn't explain this well, but I tried my best. I think it would be different if someone said something similar to you, but they did not. The user was told to send a letter explaining why they were missing 5 out of 17 years work of references, the bulk of the experience being outside Canada. This is in no way beneficial to the person applying or to CIC!

CEC2013

Dec 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04 FEB 2013
Doc's Request.
26 NOV 2013 (RPRF)
AOR Received.
14 MAR 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application.
Med's Request
27 NOV 2013
Med's Done....
29 NOV 2013
Interview........
Waived.
Passport Req..
09 DEC 2013
VISA ISSUED...
19 DEC 2013
LANDED..........
21 DEC 2013
I can def respect this response much more. It was clear, concise and sounded informative, versus judgmental.

My input on the subject (from my limited experience) is that I too have considerable experience outside of Canada, prior to my current employment, but will not be providing an explanation. I will be attaching a full CV that reflects all of my previous employment. Getting employment references for all those would not be possible without significant effort. And I feel that it is unnecessary as of now. If CIC is interested in any particular area, then I would seek further evidence/paperwork.

With the changes in rules, I would assume that CIC would have a larger amount to process and thus, making them go through additional paperwork would just be tedious. On the other hand, if he feels the need to explain 17 years worth of experience, all the more power to him. Like I said, only we can know what's in our best interest. Nothing is usually black and white. There is a good reason this option - explanatio letter - exists, as I'm sure that there have been cases that warrant more detail, which could very well apply here too.

Just not sure why you would cover all 17 years...

morgan_tagalog

Star Member
Nov 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 9, 2012
AOR Received.
jan 09, 2013
File Transfer...
jan 10, 2013
Med's Request
feb 28, 2013
Med's Done....
mar 9,2013
Passport Req..
jan 28 '14
VISA ISSUED...
countin..
LANDED..........
in canada
RanjithP said:
You are expected to provide reference letter for the jobs you held in Canada over the past 3 years. As long as you have complete reference letters for this period, you should be good.

See point 10 in the CEC checklist.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5610E.pdf
Hi RanjithP,

My previous employer here in Canada did not gave any reference letter, although i request for several time but he said he dont usually giving reference letter. He said just ROE is enough. Now my worries are, if am going to apply for cec...

morgan

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ROE will not be enough - it will be reject if you provide only this. Do you have an e-mail or something from him stating he wont provide you with anything more detailed?

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
tiger sun said:
Thanks ranjit
i have been working in canada past 13 months only,so if i have reference letter for this period is fine?
Yes, you need reference letter only for proving your Canadian work experience, so just for the 13 months you worked in Canada. If you see item 10 in CEC Checklist, it is for "Work Experience in Canada". Also, in IMM0008 - Schedule 8, point 5 only asks for Canadian experience in the past 3 years.

You will be listing your non-Canadian experience in background declaration form (IMM5669) but you do not have to provide any supporting documents for this.

shells

Nov 14, 2012
Surrey, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2012
AOR Received.
04-09-2012
IELTS Request
Sent Together
File Transfer...
04-09-2012
I never used the word, "reference letter" when I wanted something to prove how long I worked with the company. Most employers take that as a letter that you give to your potential new employer that recommends how good you are when you were working with them. It's like a referral letter.

I will just say, I need a letter of employment - something that states the period I have worked with the company. I do not need any reference letter.

One of my ex-bosses I asked the letter from refused initially too, and I kept emailing her, and forwarded her the PDF (the Documents Checklist) and told her its required by the Canada government. She finally relented after couple of months. She kept saying she was busy.. How long does it take for her to type me a letter? She has all the past records.

An employer have no right to deny their ex-employees a letter of employment, not unless they have something to hide.

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think that's a different matter.

You are correct regarding the LOE. However legally the LOE does not need to detail duties and responsibilities and without this, the application is likely to be rejected.

morgan_tagalog

Star Member
Nov 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 9, 2012
AOR Received.
jan 09, 2013
File Transfer...
jan 10, 2013
Med's Request
feb 28, 2013
Med's Done....
mar 9,2013
Passport Req..
jan 28 '14
VISA ISSUED...
countin..
LANDED..........
in canada
jsm0085 said:
ROE will not be enough - it will be reject if you provide only this. Do you have an e-mail or something from him stating he wont provide you with anything more detailed?
hi jsm0085,

I just talked to him personally and texted him couple of time about that work experience letter. But i have all the "legal" papers from cic the lmo, work permits, contracts, payslip and t4s. Do you think it will back up my application for all the papers that i have even though i dont have that "letter"?

morgan

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sadly I don't think it will be enough. Lots of applications have been rejected for this reason. Cic want a letter which includes duties and responsibilities - not just the standard ROE.

I would :

- explain to him again its vital to your application. Ensure he understands he isn't sponsoring you and that its just required to determine you previously did this job in Canada. Emphasize that without this experience being confirmed you will be made to leave canada!!
- If he still refuses try to get him to send you an email stating this - sending this to cic along with the mentioned paperwork MAY help you. However, it may not. The reference letter is technically mandatory.
- if all else fails you can send the documents you have mentioned along with a statement precise detailed explanation letter. However, I wouldn't be too optimistic about your chances
Of being accepted wideout the letter.

To be honest as I've suggested to others in the form, it may be worthwhile seeking a legal opinion on this matter as they likely have a better idea of what If anything would really help your chances.

Sorry. Hope this helps.

morgan_tagalog

Star Member
Nov 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
nov 9, 2012
AOR Received.
jan 09, 2013
File Transfer...
jan 10, 2013
Med's Request
feb 28, 2013
Med's Done....
mar 9,2013
Passport Req..
jan 28 '14
VISA ISSUED...
countin..
LANDED..........
in canada
morgan_tagalog said:
hi jsm0085,

I just talked to him personally and texted him couple of time about that work experience letter. But i have all the "legal" papers from cic the lmo, work permits, contracts, payslip and t4s. Do you think it will back up my application for all the papers that i have even though i dont have that "letter"?

morgan
Hi to all!

Any Seniors here can give me some ideas or they have same thing previously?
morgan