+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

eTA as a work permit holder

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Hi,

I was hold in the Airport because I went to the US and coming back to Canada I was ask if I have an ETA and I dont have it. I tried applying and I get this "Based on your answers, you cannot apply for an eTA. You may need a visa or other type of travel document to travel to Canada."

I was told by Alaska Airlines customer service that the CRC said I needed an eTA to travel air going to Canada and they made an "exception" because I have a work permit.

When I arrive in Canada, I ask my immigration officer and just told me that my Work Permit is my visa and they can't do anything about what CRC is talking about.

I am planning to go out of the country in a few months and as much I don't want to get barred again (took like an hour and half with persistent explaining I can't get eTA). What should I do

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A work permit is not a travel document so if you are from a visa exempt country you need an ETA to board a plane back to Canada, if non visa exempt you need a TRV. The work permit whilst valid just gives you and CBSA a reason to be in the country.

What nationality passport do you have ?

See section 190 3.f in the link below specific only to work permit or study permit holders visiting the US and returning to Canada otherwise above applies. So probably explains why eventually you were allowed to travel back from the US/Alaska.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-2002-227/section-190.html

Last edited:

justin777

Oct 13, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for answering. I'm from Philippines, so my passport is a non-visa exempt. So that means I need to apply for a Tourist Visa (TRV)?

On the question:
What do you plan to do?
  • Visit my children or grandchildren for more than six months
  • Come to Canada as a tourist, visit family or friends, or study (up to six months)
  • Attend a business meeting, conference, trade show
  • Transit through Canada
Which one should I choose? So if I go to the Philippines in a few months, I would need to get a TRV (I can't get eTA) or I won't be able to comeback in Canada?