+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Estimated time of background check/police report

drahkur

Jan 2, 2016
Hi there :)

So my husband (from the US) and I (Canada) are in the process of completing the visa application but we made a huge mistake of leaving the background check too late. We found out yesterday that the processing time for the background check at the FBI is 15 weeks (!), so we're pretty upset as it sets us back a few months. I just want to know if this estimated time is accurate or if it can be shorter (or longer) (he has no record whatsoever and neither do I).

Thanks a ton!

Matt

julies879

Star Member
Mar 4, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
Doc's Request.
17-05-2016, sent same day
AOR Received.
27-04-2016
File Transfer...
16-05-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
15-03-2016
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-02-2017
You're able to submit your app without the actual fbi check. Just include a letter talking about the long processing times. They're used to it with US applicants.

drahkur

Jan 2, 2016
julies879 said:
You're able to submit your app without the actual fbi check. Just include a letter talking about the long processing times. They're used to it with US applicants.
WOW really? I assume they can't continue with the application until they receive that information but that's awesome to hear. It doesn't significantly delay processing (worse than just waiting for the background check to finish)?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drahkur said:
WOW really? I assume they can't continue with the application until they receive that information but that's awesome to hear. It doesn't significantly delay processing (worse than just waiting for the background check to finish)?
For an Outland applicant, the delay can be noticeable, but it's still better than deferring sending the application. Besides, people have done that but then forgotten to check the CIC website for updates to any of the IMM forms, before sending the application. CIC likes to update some of the forms fairly often.

Technically, the FBI IHSR letter isn't really required until after the sponsor has been approved.

drahkur

Jan 2, 2016
Ponga said:
For an Outland applicant, the delay can be noticeable, but it's still better than deferring sending the application. Besides, people have done that but then forgotten to check the CIC website for updates to any of the IMM forms, before sending the application. CIC likes to update some of the forms fairly often.

Technically, the FBI IHSR letter isn't really required until after the sponsor has been approved.
Awesome, thank you!