+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Effective date of Bill C24

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
buddhaB said:
yeah that makes sense too.You are measuring the contribution to this country.I would say 'yay' for it.
however,putting everyone in the same sack is not a nice thing since a lot of us have been working/studying/living here for more than 3-4 years.

distinguishing new and old PRs is not something every sane person would say no.
But some of the new PRs will have been living/studying in this country for a few years too when they get their PR, it's not that different. I do agree pre-PR time in Canada should be considered, since a good portion of new PRs first entered canada when landed, it wouldn't be fair to those who have been working studying here before landing... But life is never fair, so I acknowlege it, suck it up and move on

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Zardoz,
Its actually very rational for people to seek/petition for ease of policies if that is in their best interest.

If CIC applies eased citizenship laws only to new PRs, then the older PRs will petition to be considered under the new laws.

I think its completely rational human behavior. Please try to see this from personal objectivism standpoint and not from whats fair angle.

IMHO.

zardoz said:
OK, suppose that C-24 made it easier to get citizenship, but only applied that change to new PRs... Would you be happy?

godhelp

Star Member
Jun 30, 2012
friends does any one know
if India issues Records of Movements
stating all Entry and Exit from India.

thank You,
Godhelp

valigap31

Mar 8, 2015
itsmyid said:
I am not happy that I need to wait for 2 more year under the new rule (my pre-PR time not counting towards the 4 year period), but with other parties advocating legalization of pot, taxing more on my hard earned money, opening doors to more fake refugees - yes, I know many of those are fake, and they get much better benefits from the government than hard working people paying tax to feed them - I would rather wait for 2 more years than seeing those parties ruining this country
Australia 4 Years
UK 5 Years
USA 5 years
New Zeland 5 Years
Most EU country are 5
Spain 10 Years
Do you know any country less then 4 ??
Most people that are effected from this law are refugees and students.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
CanadianCountry said:
Zardoz,
Its actually very rational for people to seek/petition for ease of policies if that is in their best interest.

If CIC applies eased citizenship laws only to new PRs, then the older PRs will petition to be considered under the new laws.

I think its completely rational human behavior. Please try to see this from personal objectivism standpoint and not from whats fair angle.

IMHO.
Of course everyone wants what's best for THEM but when you start considering the boundary conditions, things get a lot more complex.

Consider the case of two new PRs. Both were in Canada as temporary residents for many years. Lets call them Fred and Joe.
Fred "lands" on Friday night at 23:59. C24 becomes active at midnight. Joe is further back in the queue in secondary immigration and doesn't "land" until 00:01. Why should one have old rules applied and the other have new rules applied when they finally apply for citizenship years into the future?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
valigap31 said:
Australia 4 Years
UK 5 Years
USA 5 years
New Zeland 5 Years
Most EU country are 5
Spain 10 Years
If you are married to a British citizen, it's only 3 years, not 5. Maybe those of us who are married to Canadian citizens should get a discount as well?

valigap31

Mar 8, 2015
zardoz said:
If you are married to a British citizen, it's only 3 years, not 5. Maybe those of us who are married to Canadian citizens should get a discount as well?
Yes if you are in UK refugee for 5 years your time is counted

buddhaB

Star Member
Apr 15, 2015
zardoz said:
Of course everyone wants what's best for THEM but when you start considering the boundary conditions, things get a lot more complex.

Consider the case of two new PRs. Both were in Canada as temporary residents for many years. Lets call them Fred and Joe.
Fred "lands" on Friday night at 23:59. C24 becomes active at midnight. Joe is further back in the queue in secondary immigration and doesn't "land" until 00:01. Why should one have old rules applied and the other have new rules applied when they finally apply for citizenship years into the future?
anyways.What is fair for Mike may not be fair for Joe.So I think whomever is lucky will be able apply for citizenship before the new residency requirement kicks in.

Unity is important,which is what we are lack of.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Zardoz,
Your example of Fred and Joe and the midnight scenario actually doesn't apply if the CIC were to inform that any new applicants for PR have to go through new citizenship laws.

People who have moved to Canada need fairness in their journey towards citizenship. If people would have known that Canada will change rules mid-way, they could have chosen another country, but now for better or worse they are stuck with Canada.

Example:
Australia citizenship residency requirements are:
You must have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for 4 years immediately before applying, including 1 year as a permanent resident, and
•You must not have been absent from Australia for more than 1 year during the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year immediately before applying.

They are currently accepting 3 years of pre-PR time.

zardoz said:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
It doesn't really matter what other countries do. They are also at liberty to change the legislation at any time that suits them.

Every country publishes what the requirements are "TODAY". Do any of them promise not to change those requirements? As an immigrant, you take a risk based on what you know when you make decisions. You can't possibly know what the future holds.

SoftwareEngg

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
valigap31 said:
Australia 4 Years
UK 5 Years
USA 5 years
New Zeland 5 Years
Most EU country are 5
Spain 10 Years

Hello Sir/Madam...

Dont compare with other countries and there are many morethings to compare. But, if you still want to compare then FYI... Australia changed their residency rule in 2010 .. from that day they defined the 2 different eligibilty .... one who got PR before 2010 and new rule applied for the people who got PR after 2010.

Please do a research bcoz this blog is now having 160+ pages.

CanadianCountry

Jan 26, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-02-2010
Doc's Request.
16-03-2010
AOR Received.
24-07-2010
File Transfer...
24-03-2010
Med's Request
Yes
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
Yes
VISA ISSUED...
Yes
LANDED..........
Yes
Zardoz,
It does matter to people who are immigrating. It might not matter to Canadian govt.

Nobody can be sure what future law will be in any country. But looking at the stupidities of this govt, future laws will always be questionable.

Please look into Australian residency requirement change of 2010. The way they handled the situation foretells the attitude of Australian govt, brings confidence amongst prospective immigrants.

zardoz said:
It doesn't really matter what other countries do. They are also at liberty to change the legislation at any time that suits them.

Every country publishes what the requirements are "TODAY". Do any of them promise not to change those requirements? As an immigrant, you take a risk based on what you know when you make decisions. You can't possibly know what the future holds.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
CanadianCountry said:
Zardoz,
It does matter to people who are immigrating. It might not matter to Canadian govt.

Nobody can be sure what future law will be in any country. But looking at the stupidities of this govt, future laws will always be questionable.

Please look into Australian residency requirement change of 2010. The way they handled the situation foretells the attitude of Australian govt, brings confidence amongst prospective immigrants.
Australia is not immune from imposing negative changes to citizenship rules. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_nationality_law

2007 : On 1 July 2007, the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 replaced the 1948 Act. Many Australians who had lost citizenship under the 1948 Act, and their children, are given access to Australian citizenship. The residence period for naturalisation was increased from 2 years to 4 years, with a 3 year transition period for existing permanent residents, and a citizenship test was introduced.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
All of this banter is completely irrelevant anyway, although I suppose it allows people to moan about it.
It's a done deal. If the NDP and Liberals couldn't derail this legislation in Parliament, nothing said here is going to make any difference.
And, just in case you are wondering, yes I'm also negatively impacted by the changes, by more than just timing...

susann

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
NOC Code......
0111 / 1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2009
Doc's Request.
august 2009
AOR Received.
january 2010
Med's Request
march 2010
Med's Done....
march 2010
Passport Req..
april 2010
VISA ISSUED...
mai 2010
Martin29 said:
Money is a big problem.Its $310 then other expenses(transportation, food etc).One more issue is test starts around 8:30 am and ends at 6pm.That's a whole day getting wasted.

I am not sure why this dumb CIC cannot accept both.Its so frustrating.I think they want us to pay for both.
Hi Martin, maybe doing a LINC test will be an option. As far as I know they are ok as well. Did not check recently. The linc test is free and only takes 1-2 hours.