28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
newcomer said:
Well in order to qualify for Alberta loans & grants you "must be a resident of Alberta" and to qualify as "a resident of Alberta " you MUST fulfill any of the below conditions:

Eligibility for Loans
and Grants
You must:
• be a resident of Alberta (see Application
Specifics, Page 12)
• have financial need
• maintain passing grades in at least 60%
of a full course load
• be enrolled as a full-time student taking
a minimum 60% of a full course load
(40% of a full course load if you are a
student with a permanent disability) at
a post-secondary institution approved
by Alberta for students to receive
government student aid

If you are an independent student (see page 6),
you are considered to be a resident of Alberta if:

• Alberta is the last province you have lived
in for 12 consecutive months while not a
full-time post-secondary student,

or

• You are attending school in Alberta and
have never lived in any Canadian province
for 12 months in a row. In this case, submit
a Missing Information Résumé (studentaid.
alberta.ca) and/or a letter to explain your
residency situation.

For information on how to submit your
documents, see page 17.

If you are a dependent student (see page 6),
you are considered to be a resident of Alberta if:
• Your parent(s) live in Alberta

Source :http://www.studentaid.alberta.ca/media/25565/quick_tips.pdf

So,as mentioned above ,in order to qualify for provincial loans and grants in AB, the new immigrants MUST have lived in AB for 12 consecutive months before applying for them.

Hope that helps!
immigrants who land directly in alberta and plan to settle here can get the grant, anytime within a year too. you just need to visit the university and explain your situation.. remember every case is different. i know someone who got grant after a few months of landing here.

Umair

Jul 28, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2009
Doc's Request.
06-08-2009
AOR Received.
23-12-2009 ( 2nd )
Med's Request
21 Feb 2012
Med's Done....
25 Feb 2012
Interview........
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2012
LANDED..........
30 DEC 2012 EDMONTON Via Montreal YAHOO
prospective said:
Excellent post! I heard about the community centres that new immigrants or people with less income can use free of cost or at discounted rates. Would you have any idea about that?
Yes both option is available, depending on your monthly income.

Cheers

prospective

Aug 27, 2009
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2009
Doc's Request.
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
26-04-2010
Med's Request
Oct 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2013
LANDED..........
September 2013
Umair said:
Yes both option is available, depending on your monthly income.

Cheers
Is there a list of community centres available on the website? I couldn't find any.

manonquest

Star Member
Jun 13, 2013
Gujarat - India
Category........
Visa Office......
[color=blue][b]NDVO[/b][/color]
NOC Code......
[color=blue][b]2132[/b][/color]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[color=blue][b]07-06-2013[/b][/color] PER Received: [color=blue][b]27-08-2013
AOR Received.
[color=blue][b]24-10-2013[/b][/color]
IELTS Request
[color=blue][b]Submitted with File[/b][/color]
Med's Request
[color=blue][b]05-12-2013[/b][/color]
Med's Done....
[color=blue][b]19-12-2013[/b][/color]
Interview........
[color=blue][b]NDVO has waived it[/b][/color]
Passport Req..
[color=blue][b]05-12-2013[/b][/color] Passport Sent on: [color=blue][b]23-12-2013[/b][/color]
VISA ISSUED...
[color=red][b]02-FEB-2014 DM[/b][/color]
LANDED..........
[color=red][b]APRIL 2014[/b][/color]
@ Sonea.....

@->->-

Thanks a lot Sonea, by just putting words and answering questions based on your knowledge and available time you are helping a lot to people who desire to avoid wrong turn in their beginning phase of Canada landing and settlement. I can give you +1 ratings for your kind gesture ....

I am a Mechanical engineer with a wife (B SC microbiologist) and one half year old son. I am from GUJARAT, INDIA.

Dear Sonea, like everyone, i wish to know something about Edmonton, CA. I am putting my questions below, please try to answer it by your knowledge and exposure.

Are there good chance to get job in relevant field within some time? Till I get job in my relevant field, Is it easy to find Survival job ? I know it is depending on one's effort and luck a lot, but I expect general inputs from observation through your tenure of stay in Edmonton.

I will be the only person who can earn money for my family, to survive there. Will it be possible to carry out expenses on survival job initially ?

I wish to know, in which localities new Indian migrants are living. I also wish to know which are affordable communities from it with easy of public transport as I will not have any personal vehicle to commute while I will be in Edmonton.

Which are popular real estate agents for different Indian communities ? How much they charge for their service ?

Is it any helping organization which can help to arrange some initial stay ( like for 15 days ) ?

Which city is better for initial settlement (means finding survival jobs) between Calgary and Edmonton ? Which city (between Calgary and Edmonton) has better field related jobs for my sector of work ?

I expect your time to answer my queries, and I would like to appreciate your kindness for a society in which you don't know anyone. It is big thing....

GOD BLESS YOU for your work and me for this courageous decision.

Regards

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
HI,

I am highly obliged by your comments and I will try my best to answer all your question

Are there good chance to get job in relevant field within some time? Till I get job in my relevant field, Is it easy to find Survival job ? I know it is depending on one's effort and luck a lot, but I expect general inputs from observation through your tenure of stay in Edmonton.

You have a good chance to get a job in your field after you complete the required courses/licences according to Canadian standards. Initially you should apply for a lower level job in your field, once you enter your job sector it’s much easier to excel from there. You are right that at the end of the day it’s your luck and effort
There are many survival jobs as I told earlier that Wal-Mart is a good place to start with I’ve seen many newcomers working there. Try and apply for jobs as much as you can like in fast food restaurants, home depot, Wal-Mart, superstore, post office, Target, Telus, Shaw, retail stores etc you can apply online as well as in person in some stores.
I will be the only person who can earn money for my family, to survive there. Will it be possible to carry out expenses on survival job initially?
It certainly depends on your expenses but you have to work for max hours like if you work for 35 hours a week and you’re paid $11 (min) per hour you will earn $385 per week and $1540 per month. If you pay $750 for house rent you’re left with $790.. in this amount you have to manage grocery utility bills etc..

I wish to know, in which localities new Indian migrants are living. I also wish to know which are affordable communities from it with easy of public transport as I will not have any personal vehicle to commute while I will be in Edmonton.
Most Indian and Pakistani communities are living at the south side of Edmonton. Millwoods is highly populated with desi people.
Commuting anywhere in Edmonton is very easy by public transport they have a very efficient transport system you can use LRT (Tram, limited coverage) or busses.
Which are popular real estate agents for different Indian communities? How much they charge for their service?
I have no experience of real estate agent’s service. For accommodation its best to search by yourself on Edmonton.kijiji.com.
Is it any helping organization which can help to arrange some initial stay ( like for 15 days ) ?
Never heard of such organisations it’s better to book a hotel room to be on the safe side. May be someone else can tell you if there are such organisations.
Which city is better for initial settlement (means finding survival jobs) between Calgary and Edmonton ? Which city (between Calgary and Edmonton) has better field related jobs for my sector of work?
Edmonton’s locality is such that Fort McMurray is only 5 hours drive from here. Most engineers work in Fort McMurray, salaries and job prospects are good over there. So if you choose Edmonton you have broader prospects to apply for job. Calgary is also good for jobs but I can’t tell you much about it as I’ve only lived in Edmonton and have no connections in Calgary.

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
HI,

I am highly obliged by your comments and I will try my best to answer all your question

You have a good chance to get a job in your field after you complete the required courses/licences according to Canadian standards. Initially you should apply for a lower level job in your field, once you enter your job sector it's much easier to excel from there. You are right that at the end of the day it's your luck and effort
There are many survival jobs as I told earlier that Wal-Mart is a good place to start with I've seen many newcomers working there. Try and apply for jobs as much as you can like in fast food restaurants, home depot, Wal-Mart, superstore, post office, Target, Telus, Shaw, retail stores etc you can apply online as well as in person in some stores.
I will be the only person who can earn money for my family, to survive there. Will it be possible to carry out expenses on survival job initially?
It certainly depends on your expenses but you have to work for max hours like if you work for 35 hours a week and you're paid $11 (min) per hour you will earn $385 per week and $1540 per month. If you pay $750 for house rent you're left with $790.. in this amount you have to manage grocery utility bills etc..

Most Indian and Pakistani communities are living at the south side of Edmonton. Millwoods is highly populated with desi people.
Commuting anywhere in Edmonton is very easy by public transport they have a very efficient transport system you can use LRT (Tram, limited coverage) or busses.
Which are popular real estate agents for different Indian communities? How much they charge for their service?
I have no experience of real estate agent's service. For accommodation its best to search by yourself on Edmonton.kijiji.com.
Never heard of such organisations it's better to book a hotel room to be on the safe side. May be someone else can tell you if there are such organisations.
Which city is better for initial settlement (means finding survival jobs) between Calgary and Edmonton ? Which city (between Calgary and Edmonton) has better field related jobs for my sector of work?
Edmonton's locality is such that Fort McMurray is only 5 hours drive from here. Most engineers work in Fort McMurray, salaries and job prospects are good over there. So if you choose Edmonton you have broader prospects to apply for job. Calgary is also good for jobs but I can't tell you much about it as I've only lived in Edmonton and have no connections in Calgary.
@ Sonea,
It certainly depends on your expenses but you have to work for max hours like if you work for 35 hours a week and you're paid $11 (min) per hour you will earn $385 per week and $1540 per month. If you pay $750 for house rent you're left with $790.. in this amount you have to manage grocery utility bills etc..

35 days a week @ $11/Hr > how much one can take home after taxes, Im sure it will be less than $1540/month

Thanks.

Thommo

Nov 20, 2010
Edmonton, Canada
ItsBeenLongNow said:
@ Sonea,

35 days a week @ $11/Hr > how much one can take home after taxes, Im sure it will be less than $1540/month

Thanks.
Hi ItsBeenLongNow
While you await reply from Sonea let me give you my impression of the situation. If one employer doesn't give you enough hours of work you can work for another employer, too. Many people do 2 or even 3 jobs in Canada. Income tax deduction will be minimal. Approx. CAD 200 per month. This too should be refunded when you fill income tax return. Moreover, Canadian Govt. will pay you about CAD 350 per month for your child. Your monthly expenses will be around CAD 2000. With a little effort you can make both ends meet even in the initial period.

manonquest

Star Member
Jun 13, 2013
Gujarat - India
Category........
Visa Office......
[color=blue][b]NDVO[/b][/color]
NOC Code......
[color=blue][b]2132[/b][/color]
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
[color=blue][b]07-06-2013[/b][/color] PER Received: [color=blue][b]27-08-2013
AOR Received.
[color=blue][b]24-10-2013[/b][/color]
IELTS Request
[color=blue][b]Submitted with File[/b][/color]
Med's Request
[color=blue][b]05-12-2013[/b][/color]
Med's Done....
[color=blue][b]19-12-2013[/b][/color]
Interview........
[color=blue][b]NDVO has waived it[/b][/color]
Passport Req..
[color=blue][b]05-12-2013[/b][/color] Passport Sent on: [color=blue][b]23-12-2013[/b][/color]
VISA ISSUED...
[color=red][b]02-FEB-2014 DM[/b][/color]
LANDED..........
[color=red][b]APRIL 2014[/b][/color]
@ SONEA,

Thanks a lot Sonea... for your detailed narration about initial settling situation.

BEST Regards,

V GANDHI

(Gujarat, India).

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ItsBeenLongNow said:
@ Sonea,

Thanks.
If in a family only you work and your spouse/partner is jobless you have a tax free allowance of $35000 of your annual income. EI is around 2.5 percent and CPP is approximately $70 per month. Child benefit can take upto 180 days to start once you file for it. You get family tax credit (after you file tax return) and GST payments these also take some months to start. Initially you should be paying off around $150 towards EI and CPP (this is just my rough estimate)

People do 2 or sometimes 3 jobs but since you have a family to look after and you have to deal with your settlement too, I think 35-38 hours a week would be enough for you to work in any odd job, keeping in mind that sometimes you have to stand for 8 hours at a till with only 15 mins break every 2-3 hours so you need to be super strong to work for even longer hours.

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
Dear Sonea and all other seniors,
One question about CIIP...in CIIP one on one session and all other sessions are specific to destination cities or its a general information about whole canada?

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
klmy said:
Dear Sonea and all other seniors,
One question about CIIP...in CIIP one on one session and all other sessions are specific to destination cities or its a general information about whole canada?
One on one session is all about you they focus on your job field, settlement city, your family situation and so on. The group session usually covers general topics.

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sonea said:
If in a family only you work and your spouse/partner is jobless you have a tax free allowance of $35000 of your annual income. EI is around 2.5 percent and CPP is approximately $70 per month. Child benefit can take upto 180 days to start once you file for it. You get family tax credit (after you file tax return) and GST payments these also take some months to start. Initially you should be paying off around $150 towards EI and CPP (this is just my rough estimate)

People do 2 or sometimes 3 jobs but since you have a family to look after and you have to deal with your settlement too, I think 35-38 hours a week would be enough for you to work in any odd job, keeping in mind that sometimes you have to stand for 8 hours at a till with only 15 mins break every 2-3 hours so you need to be super strong to work for even longer hours.
Thanks Sonea, what is EI and CPP?

klmy

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore/Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-1-12
Doc's Request.
Same day
Nomination.....
1-3-12
IELTS Request
Alongwith application
Med's Request
13-5-13
Med's Done....
26-5-13
Interview........
Waived ALHAMDOOLILAH
Passport Req..
26-7-13
VISA ISSUED...
7-8-13
sonea said:
One on one session is all about you they focus on your job field, settlement city, your family situation and so on. The group session usually covers general topics.
thanx..MAY ALLAH BLESS YOU

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ItsBeenLongNow said:
Thanks Sonea, what is EI and CPP?
EI is employment insurance and CPP is Canada pension plan

prospective

Aug 27, 2009
Visa Office......
Islamabad
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2009
Doc's Request.
23-11-2009
AOR Received.
26-04-2010
Med's Request
Oct 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2013
LANDED..........
September 2013
sonea said:
EI is employment insurance and CPP is Canada pension plan
So you mean if I earn less than $35000 a year and my wife doesn't work, my earning won't be taxable except 2.5% EI and $70 CPP a month???????