+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ECoPR marital status indicates single, but I am in a common law partnership

antigone7s

Jun 21, 2023
As indicated in the thread title, my eCoPR which I just received today indicates under the "marital status" section that I am single. However, I applied for PR through common law partner sponsorship. All other sections are correct, including the category (FCC - family sponsorship common law) and my partner is indicated as my common law partner. Is the "single" marital status an error, or is this correct?

In case I need to request the eCoPR to be amended, I saw the processing time is 6 months. While I wait, can I proceed with asking for my permanent SIN and my provincial health card? As mentioned, everything else in the eCoPR is correct and I am not even sure the marital status is incorrect.

Thank you in advance for your feedback and help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As indicated in the thread title, my eCoPR which I just received today indicates under the "marital status" section that I am single. However, I applied for PR through common law partner sponsorship. All other sections are correct, including the category (FCC - family sponsorship common law) and my partner is indicated as my common law partner. Is the "single" marital status an error, or is this correct?

In case I need to request the eCoPR to be amended, I saw the processing time is 6 months. While I wait, can I proceed with asking for my permanent SIN and my provincial health card? As mentioned, everything else in the eCoPR is correct and I am not even sure the marital status is incorrect.

The marital status IS incorrect. You have a common-law partner, right?

Submit a web form to IRCC ASAP! It looks like it is a simple error on their part, but you need to find out!

In the `old days', prior to the creation and issuance of the eCoPR, you would simply correct the CoPR before physically `landing' to activate your new PR status. Now that the eCopR doesn't need to be activated, correcting an error may be a huge ordeal.

Bottom line: if you have now landed (virtually) as `single', it would prevent you from EVER sponsoring your partner.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Since they have 'landed' you already (the eCOPR means you are a PR), there's nothing really to worry about - it was a clerical error. Send them a webform and then don't worry about it.

The real issue - not your case - is someone landing on a non-family sponsorship visa ('economic' immigration) whose COPR shows they are not married, ie. that they have not declared their spouse. In your case it's not a mistake of consequence as your sponsor is (by defintion) already a PR or citizen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It looks like it is a simple error on their part, but do NOT land on that eCoPR (unless you already have)!

Bottom line: if you have now landed (virtually) as `single', it would prevent you from EVER sponsoring your partner.
Ummm, no. His sponsor is already a PR or citizen (by definition). And he has already landed. This is an error of no consequence that I can see.

Webform to correct and forget about it.

Reactions: antigone7s

antigone7s

Jun 21, 2023
Since they have 'landed' you already (the eCOPR means you are a PR), there's nothing really to worry about - it was a clerical error. Send them a webform and then don't worry about it.

The real issue - not your case - is someone landing on a non-family sponsorship visa ('economic' immigration) whose COPR shows they are not married, ie. that they have not declared their spouse. In your case it's not a mistake of consequence as your sponsor is (by defintion) already a PR or citizen.
I understand! As you mentioned, my partner is my sponsor, so we think they may have made a typing mistake and indicated the wrong status.

Unfortunately, it looks like it can take up to 6 months to amend the COPR, according to the processing time. I will be sending the form as soon as I can.

I guess I will have to wait for my PR card before getting my permanent SIN and health card. I was thinking of using the eCoPR as is, but I am concerned it may be an issue, sadly.

Thank you so much for your confirmation and help!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand! As you mentioned, my partner is my sponsor, so we think they may have made a typing mistake and indicated the wrong status.
How could you have made a typing mistake? You seem to understand that you applied as the common-law partner to your sponsor, so unless you ticked `single' in the application, this really must be an error on IRCC's part.

antigone7s

Jun 21, 2023
How could you have made a typing mistake? You seem to understand that you applied as the common-law partner to your sponsor, so unless you ticked `single' in the application, this really must be an error on IRCC's part.
As I said, "they" (as in, the IRCC) might have made a typing mistake when inserting my information in their system. Human error.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Unfortunately, it looks like it can take up to 6 months to amend the COPR, according to the processing time. I will be sending the form as soon as I can.

I guess I will have to wait for my PR card before getting my permanent SIN and health card. I was thinking of using the eCoPR as is, but I am concerned it may be an issue, sadly.

There's no issue, go ahead and apply for your PR card or wait for it to come if already done. You don't need the copr to be corrected, it's their problem. Use it, get your sin, etc.

carl_tine

May 29, 2024
Hi I am in the same situation. I am a divorcee, I updated the IRCC immediately after the divorce was finalized. When I receive my ecopr the marital status states that I am Separated instead of Divorced.
Did you end up updating your SIN and health card using your PR card without rectifying the copr?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi I am in the same situation. I am a divorcee, I updated the IRCC immediately after the divorce was finalized. When I receive my ecopr the marital status states that I am Separated instead of Divorced.
Did you end up updating your SIN and health card using your PR card without rectifying the copr?
Did you apply under a spousal sponsorship?

Reactions: YVR123

Vishal@670

Oct 2, 2024

hi,
Could you please guide me what process you followed and how much time it took?