+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dual citizenship and travel outside Canada

iceaa

Jan 29, 2018
Dears,

I have dual citizenship (Canadian & Middle Eastern). I booked my flight using Canadian passport (My first flight after getting Canadian Passport) however after landing and before entering my country of origin they ask for my passport.

I gave them the Canadian passport however they said that if I want to enter with my Canadian passport I will have to be treated like foreign visitor (Pay entry fees and get some document). It was early in the morning and had people waiting for me so I didn't think this through and I entered with my non-Canadian passport. So, the entry stamp will be on my non-Canadian passport.

I want to ask if there is anything I need to be aware (or worried) of? and do I need to do anything before I come back to Canada?

Many Thanks,

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Canada doesn't care which passport you use to enter any other country.
So no, nothing to worry about.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have dual citizenship (Canadian & Middle Eastern). I booked my flight using Canadian passport (My first flight after getting Canadian Passport) however after landing and before entering my country of origin they ask for my passport.

I gave them the Canadian passport however they said that if I want to enter with my Canadian passport I will have to be treated like foreign visitor (Pay entry fees and get some document). It was early in the morning and had people waiting for me so I didn't think this through and I entered with my non-Canadian passport. So, the entry stamp will be on my non-Canadian passport.

I want to ask if there is anything I need to be aware (or worried) of? and do I need to do anything before I come back to Canada?
Again, as far as Canada is concerned, this is a non-issue.

Also: most countries (or at least most I'm aware of that have rules on the issue) require their citizens to enter using as citizens (using that passport or other document). So the 'you can enter but as a foreigner' is actually a bit lenient. (Although I don't know how serious punishments are in countries that don't allow it)

You should also note that Canada basically has no 'rights' vis-a-vis Canadian citizens (such as consular access if arrested) that are also citizens of another country (in that country). That may not be a big difference in many cases but there it is.