+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving from US vs arriving by commercial transportation means

Jan 30, 2024
I do not expect to receive my first PR card after “settling” and before wanting to return to the US to do hurricane prep as the property isn't sold. This will only be for 7-9 days. Getting a PRTD in that time is not possible. By any commercial means of entry, the PRTD is certainly required. I couldn't board a plane, train, cruise ship or bus. It seems that required documentation, i.e., without a PRTD, is not the same if driving across in a car. What is acceptable in this case? And, last question: is a rental car considered a commercial means, as is a bus?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I do not expect to receive my first PR card after “settling” and before wanting to return to the US to do hurricane prep as the property isn't sold. This will only be for 7-9 days. Getting a PRTD in that time is not possible. By any commercial means of entry, the PRTD is certainly required. I couldn't board a plane, train, cruise ship or bus. It seems that required documentation, i.e., without a PRTD, is not the same if driving across in a car. What is acceptable in this case? And, last question: is a rental car considered a commercial means, as is a bus?
Curious to know if you are a U.S. citizen by chance. If you are, there's no need for a PRTD or PR Card to travel to Canada via a commercial carrier if you have a valid U.S. passport.

If not, a rental car is usually ok, as long as the rental company knows you are driving across the border. A bus would require a PRTD.

Jan 30, 2024
Curious to know if you are a U.S. citizen by chance. If you are, there's no need for a PRTD or PR Card to travel to Canada via a commercial carrier if you have a valid U.S. passport.

If not, a rental car is usually ok, as long as the rental company knows you are driving across the border. A bus would require a PRTD.
Yes, I am a US Citizen and will be with my Sponsor/Spouse (Canadian citizen). I wondered if simply using my US Passport for entry as I always did prior to landing would be fine. Great! I had wondered if my PR status might come up when going through CBSA at YYZ. I certainly didn't want to screw something up if that were the case, Thsnk you so much!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, I am a US Citizen and will be with my Sponsor/Spouse (Canadian citizen). I wondered if simply using my US Passport for entry as I always did prior to landing would be fine. Great! I had wondered if my PR status might come up when going through CBSA at YYZ. I certainly didn't want to screw something up if that were the case, Thsnk you so much!
So two different things: you use your US passport to board the plane to Canada. No issues there. YOu're not required to identify yourself as a PR to the airline.

You MUST* enter Canada - that is, at the port of entry (YYZ passport control) as a PR, i.e. you show your COPR or whatever other docs (and your US passport as just personal identification). Even if you don't have any of that stuff, do it verbally. (Of course modern age you're going to have something, even digital copy). UCI# (which is also on the PR card/COPR) helps them identify you as a PR.

Now, what will they do about you not having a PR card? Almost certainly nothing esp if the reason is obvious (like havne't received it yet). The worst they can do is take you to secondary and slow you down a bit. And the reality is, apart from the minor hassle of looking you up, there's no issue at all.

*There might be some argument about whether this is required by law. I'm not interested in that debate. For almost all PRs esp recent - let's just say they're going to figure you out that you are a PR, and it's a bad idea to look like you're hiding it. That's my backing arg for 'must' in this context.

Reactions: YVR123
Jan 30, 2024
So two different things: you use your US passport to board the plane to Canada. No issues there. YOu're not required to identify yourself as a PR to the airline.

You MUST* enter Canada - that is, at the port of entry (YYZ passport control) as a PR, i.e. you show your COPR or whatever other docs (and your US passport as just personal identification). Even if you don't have any of that stuff, do it verbally. (Of course modern age you're going to have something, even digital copy). UCI# (which is also on the PR card/COPR) helps them identify you as a PR.

Now, what will they do about you not having a PR card? Almost certainly nothing esp if the reason is obvious (like havne't received it yet). The worst they can do is take you to secondary and slow you down a bit. And the reality is, apart from the minor hassle of looking you up, there's no issue at all.

*There might be some argument about whether this is required by law. I'm not interested in that debate. For almost all PRs esp recent - let's just say they're going to figure you out that you are a PR, and it's a bad idea to look like you're hiding it. That's my backing arg for 'must' in this context.
Indeed, this digital age can be a blessing one day and a curse the next. I'd rather pay someone in Florida to do hurricane prep for me than have a “black mark” as a counterfoil. Maybe I will get the actual PR card in the space of 10 weeks.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Indeed, this digital age can be a blessing one day and a curse the next. I'd rather pay someone in Florida to do hurricane prep for me than have a “black mark” as a counterfoil. Maybe I will get the actual PR card in the space of 10 weeks.
I honestly don't think there's any reason - whatsoever - to worry about boarding the flight with your USA passport and just tell the passport officer you are a PR (show copy of COPR). Your reason is perfectly normal.

Just understand that what the airlines require and the passport officers need are different things. With a US passport to Canada, you just have more flexibility.

Reactions: YVR123

Mishtee

Jun 6, 2024
Can someone help me here please..
I have a valid visit visa (TRV) for Canada and i want to travel to the US for a week in August. My BOWP and PR both are in process. Currently I only hold a valid TRV and visitor record status.
So is visit visa enough for travel document?
Can i leave Canada and re-enter again?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can someone help me here please..
I have a valid visit visa (TRV) for Canada and i want to travel to the US for a week in August. My BOWP and PR both are in process. Currently I only hold a valid TRV and visitor record status.
So is visit visa enough for travel document?
Can i leave Canada and re-enter again?
Almost all visitor's visas issued by Canada are multiple entry - it should be written there under 'number of entries.' As long as the date is still valid, you have a visa valid for entry.

Now the caveats:
-CBSA at the border can refuse to admit you. They don't usually do so arbitrarily, but it is possible.
-If you're not allowed back in, some current apps (like PR) could be considered abandoned - depends on the type of app.
-I know nothing about your BOWP and PR and whether it makes sense for you to travel.
-I also don't know how this connects to your visitor record (I think no effect but don't know).

Mishtee

Jun 6, 2024
My visit visa is valid for 9 years so that's okay for now.

My PR application is inland, CEC category. For now i have only received AOR on May 3rd 2024. No updates since then.

Considering the work permit, according to the processing times, I should get it by 1st or 2nd week of august max. And I plan to travel from 23 aug till 30 aug.