+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Driving from Canada to the US to catch a plane...

ed123edd

Aug 5, 2014
Hi, I have a question that you hopefully will be able to answer:

I'm planning on spending a few days in South America later this year. I have a valid work permit and my wife has a valid visitor permit (permit, not just a stamp), but both our visas have expired.

I thought about driving to the US, catching a plane to South America there, and then flying back to the US and driving back to Canada. Is that allowed? Or since I'm going to a country other than the US I need a visa to come back to Canada?

Thanks!

ed123edd

Aug 5, 2014
Sorry to ask at this board, I realized I should have asked this at a different one... since I applied for the PR through CEC and got an AOR already I'm used to visiting this one =P

aks2013

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ed123edd said:
Hi, I have a question that you hopefully will be able to answer:

I'm planning on spending a few days in South America later this year. I have a valid work permit and my wife has a valid visitor permit (permit, not just a stamp), but both our visas have expired.

I thought about driving to the US, catching a plane to South America there, and then flying back to the US and driving back to Canada. Is that allowed? Or since I'm going to a country other than the US I need a visa to come back to Canada?

Thanks!
You need a Valid Canada visa to re-enter Canada unless your are from a visa exempt country. With just work permit and visitor record, you can go to US, but cannot come back to Canada.

hondaFan13

Jul 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aks2013 said:
You need a Valid Canada visa to re-enter Canada unless your are from a visa exempt country. With just work permit and visitor record, you can go to US, but cannot come back to Canada.
I do not think this is correct. With a work permit/study permit I have travelled back and forth between US and Canada.

ed123edd

Aug 5, 2014
aks2013 said:
I'm pretty sure that I can travel to the US and come back just with a valid permit by car. My doubt is if once in the US I can travel internationally and then cross the border back to Canada just with the valid permit. Thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
ed123edd said:
I'm pretty sure that I can travel to the US and come back just with a valid permit by car. My doubt is if once in the US I can travel internationally and then cross the border back to Canada just with the valid permit. Thanks!
The "visa" (TRV) is what airlines need to permit you to board a flight to a particular destination. If you're returning by air to the USA, you need to have the proper authorizations to enter the USA (which you presumably do have). But to drive across the border, your work/visitor permits are sufficient.

aks2013

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hondaFan13 said:
I do not think this is correct. With a work permit/study permit I have travelled back and forth between US and Canada.
Not sure about coming back to Canada by Car. But i guess they will be issues coming by plane in Airport.

Aug 27, 2014
aks2013 said:
I don't think you can go to the US with work permit as well. You will need US visa as well. You need visa even if you have a PR.

hondaFan13

Jul 7, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
With a US Visa and Valid Permit, I have travelled between US and Canada via air and land.

Gurindar

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-12-2014
If you have a valid Canadian WP and No Canadian visa , The only way you can enter US is by Land , Provided you have US visa too :p.

Rest you can schedule a flight from buffalo if travelling from or near to Toronto , Travel through Bus and cross the border . i have done it multiple times , nothing to worry.

The above statement is to travel only US not any other country .

aythenday

Aug 18, 2014
IF you have only a work permit, you can travel back and forth between US and Canada, without a TRV. (I've done this many many many times).

HOWEVER, if you're going to a third country, you will need a TRV to get back into Canada. Even if you're coming back in through the US.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
ed123edd said:
My doubt is if once in the US I can travel internationally and then cross the border back to Canada just with the valid permit. Thanks!
No, you cannot. The exemption that allows people to return to Canada with an expired TRV and valid work/study permit applies if visiting ONLY the US (or St. Pierre and Miquelon). As soon as you leave the US for a third country, the exemption no longer applies. They will check your passport to ensure you were only in the US.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=527&t=16

Expired temporary resident visa

You can request to return to Canada on your original temporary resident visa, even if it is expired, if:
you will only visit the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon; and
you will return to Canada before the end of your approved stay in Canada.