+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does international student applying for work permit have to be enrolled?

madraida

Sep 12, 2008
If a person holding a valid study permit wants to apply for a work permit (Temporary foreign worker program) from inside Canada, does the person have to be currently enrolled? enrolled during the immediate previous semester enrolled? need not be currently enrolled or enrolled during the immediate previous semester?

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

metea

Dec 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
No enrollment is necessary.

You apply for the off-campus work permit if you want to work outside of the univ.
You can apply for this permit only if you are a full time student.
It also limits you by allowing only a part time employment.

If you are to work on-campus you have no need for a permit.

metea

Dec 1, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
ok, i ment to say no job offer is necessary but you have to be enrolled in the program of studies in the univ.

Sorry for the confusion,

Cheers!

madraida

Sep 12, 2008
metea said:
No enrollment is necessary.

You apply for the off-campus work permit if you want to work outside of the univ.
You can apply for this permit only if you are a full time student.
It also limits you by allowing only a part time employment.

If you are to work on-campus you have no need for a permit.
Thanks. I was worried that CIC staff will reject a TFW permit application when they see that I'm not currently enrolled. But, if previous or current enrollment is not required, why do they ask for "Proof of academic standing at institution: letter or transcript from last two periods of study" in the document checklist IMM5556E? Shouldn't a valid study permit be sufficient?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
madraida said:
Thanks. I was worried that CIC staff will reject a TFW permit application when they see that I'm not currently enrolled. But, if previous or current enrollment is not required, why do they ask for "Proof of academic standing at institution: letter or transcript from last two periods of study" in the document checklist IMM5556E? Shouldn't a valid study permit be sufficient?
Because you are in Canada as a student and not as a TFW.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-offcampus.asp

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program allows certain foreign students to work off campus while completing their studies. To qualify, you must be a full-time student enrolled at a participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.

madraida

Sep 12, 2008
job_seeker said:
Because you are in Canada as a student and not as a TFW.

Deleted - not allowed to post links

The Off-Campus Work Permit Program allows certain foreign students to work off campus while completing their studies. To qualify, you must be a full-time student enrolled at a participating publicly funded post-secondary educational institution or in an approved program at an eligible privately funded institution.
My question was about applying for a TFW (temporary foreign worker) permit, not off-campus work permit, while in Canada with a valid study permit.

So, the CIC does require TFW permit applicants (residing in Canada with valid study permits) to submit "proof of academic standing from last two periods of study" but it is not required that the applicant is "currently enrolled" or "enrolled during the immediate previous semester"?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
madraida said:
My question was about applying for a TFW (temporary foreign worker) permit, not off-campus work permit, while in Canada with a valid study permit.

So, the CIC does require TFW permit applicants (residing in Canada with valid study permits) to submit "proof of academic standing from last two periods of study" but it is not required that the applicant is "currently enrolled" or "enrolled during the immediate previous semester"?
You may need to change your temporary resident visa from student to worker. Visa processing is done at Canadian Consulate/visa offices outside Canada. You can call CIC to verify about this though.

yogeshddd

Oct 12, 2010
Hi Madraida,

I am in the same position as you found yourself about a year back. I reached Canada about 2 months back on a student permit. I have de-registered from the program as an employer is willing to apply for LMO and hire me full-time. If and when i apply for my work-permit (which will be very soon), will i face problems getting my temporary work permit visa?

Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.