+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Does applying for a TN visa make sense?

offshore50

Dec 17, 2014
Hello all,
I am a 23 year old American citizen, and a recent graduate of a university here in the United States. I have recently attained a job offer from a Canadian company that designs and manufactures custom playground equipment.

Looking through the TN nafta occupational guidelines, two professions stick out as possibilities: industrial designer and urban planner. My degree is Environmental and Urban studies, so it may make sense to apply as a urban planner. Unfortunately, as I am a recent graduate, I have no relevant work experience (this would be my first real job besides teaching english in china).

Thus my question is does it make sense to apply for a TN work visa? I live in new york so its easy for me to just drive to the border. Also, should I spend the $1500 to hire a lawyer? Also is it easy to renew the TN work visa indefinitely?
Thanks!!

cisco_kidd

Star Member
Dec 19, 2014
You can definitely do this yourself, although the backing of a law firm is always more in your favor. Law firms have a cookie cutter method at $1500 a piece that you or I can easily do...its just about doing your research. I am going through the same process as well, let me know how it turns out for you.

Is your offer temporary? Or is this an actual work permit that requires them to fill out an LMO? If the latter, then you wouldn't be going the TN route.

maranger78

Dec 19, 2014
Check section 3.8: cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/international/nafta.asp

Urban planner only requires a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree (no experience). You got to make sure however that the job offer actually matches the NOC description of Urban Planner. Your Canadian employer will need to provide you with a formal job offer, including a description of the duties you will be required to perform in Canada.

Search online for National Occupation Classification number 2153 (Urban and land use planners) to ensure your position in Canada will match.

One suggestion: the employer can apply for a preliminary opinion through the Foreign Workers Unit.

See: cic.gc.ca/english/work/employers/tfw-units.asp

I am not an Attorney or licensed immigration consultant so the above is just for information only. Is it worth applying through a lawyer? Well, you can do it on your own, but very often the Canadian company will pay for the lawyers fee. If the Canadian company is willing to pay, its worth applying through an Attorney to get the proper legal support you need. There are numbers of different work permits in Canada and particularities which the Attorney is more familiar with. The masterpiece of the application process is the Canadian employers offer of employment. The terminology used by the employer will be extremely important and that's where the lawyer can assist.