+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

DOCTORS ? -How do you succeed in Canada !!!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
arman79 said:
What is an alternative route /solution for doctors immigrating to canada ?

If university program (post graduate ) then it too hel difficult :(
Watch this thread, may be useful to u...

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/alternative-carriers-for-medicos-t53114.0.html;msg421550#msg421550

Qorax

Reactions: sa83
D

deva

Dear future immigrants!
Please read the following topics:
aipso.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4137554-doctors-educated-outside-u-s-outperform-home-grown-physicians?page=last
aipso.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/5399548-inquiry-may-confirm-allegations-by-foreign-trained-doctors

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Jobs in the Pharmaceutical Industry
Canada ranks 8th, with a 2.6% market share, of the global pharmaceutical industry ($643 billion - 2006 estimate).

The pharmaceutical industry is concentrated in Quebec and Ontario, with 90% of the labour force. In the past 10 yrs. however, Nova Scotia, British Columbia & Saskatchewan have made significant headway. The market includes such leaders as Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck Frosst, Novartis, Pharmaco, Pfizer, along with numerous SMEs in special niche markets.

Growth forecasts are optimistic, and rightly so, thanks to an ever-increasing demand—the result of the aging population, biotechnology (in 40% of drugs by 2010) and generics. However, strong competition from emerging countries and an increase in the number of expiring patents have forced the Canadian pharmaceutical industry to focus on profitability by cost and risk sharing; a collaboration between private companies, government and university research labs and hospitals; and finally, subcontracting for certain functions (manufacturing, packaging, labelling, regulatory affairs).

Required education vis-a-vis job roles

Graduates with a college diploma in laboratory technology work primarily as technicians in hospitals, where there is a shortage of labour, or in the biotechnology field in promising openings.

If you have a bachelor's degree in chemistry, you can work in a lab for a pharmaceutical co., in biotechnology or in the medical or environmental sectors as a research officer, analytical biochemist, quality control officer, or as a teacher or trainer.

Some 30% of these graduates go on to obtain a master's degree. A bachelor's or master's degree in pharmacy is for clinical pharmacists who want to get into biopharmacy. These graduates will generally work in university research centres or the private sector as research assistants for around $50,000. Those who go on to do a PhD degree to become pharmacologists can earn between $100,000 & $150,000.

In Quebec, 29 multinational companies employ 7,000 people, 22 generic drug manufacturers employ 2,900 people, 85 biotech firms employ 2,700 people and some 20 contract research firms employ 400 people.

Temporary work in the pharmaceutical industry — yes, it's possible!

Regardless of whether it is imposed on or freely chosen, temporary work is soon getting the wind, particularly in the pharmaceutical industry—which fully knows how to benefit from it. Although less "comfortable" than a permanent job, contract work can also be appealing and advantageous for workers.

Feminization of the pharmaceutical industry

The sector is increasingly resorting to temporary work because of the large influx of women into its ranks over the past few years. "In the 70s and 80s, the pharmaceutical industry was dominated by men; today women account for 60% of the workforce. Companies have therefore had to adapt," summarizes Yves Quintal, president and founder of Quintal & Associates, a human resources consulting firm active in the health care sector. Someone on maternity leave will therefore be replaced with a temporary employee, to guarantee that person's job when she comes back. The same is true of sick leave, with a view to complying with the Act to amend the Act respecting labour standards and other legislative provisions.
____________________________________________________________________________________

"Experience is Essential !"

Interview with Sylvain Larose
of Probe Recrutement,
A life sciences recruiting and networking firm

What kinds of positions do you recruit for?
Mainly marketing and sales jobs; I have a lot of pharmaceutical representatives, for example. My job is to propose a candidate who will perfectly match the client's requirements and expectations, and whose personality will fit with the team's. This latter point is very important, because there has to be a chemistry with future coworkers.

What's the first thing you look for on a CV?
I look first at experience. For the positions I recruit for, sales experience is essential, regardless of whether it took place in the pharmaceutical industry. I can't consider new graduates, however, no matter how much they assure me that sales is for them. I advise them to get 18 months of sales experience—hardly any time at all over a whole career—that they can then leverage with a recruiting firm and potential employers.

How do you analyze the true value of the candidate's experience?
I focus on the person's achievements, for two reasons: to get specific, accurate information and to analyze, via the candidate's answers, his or her behaviour and character traits such as leadership and persuasiveness. For example, I will ask candidates about the number of sales reps in their current company, how they compare, and how they stand out from the other reps. It's important for me to have specific, conclusive examples.

How can you tell if someone is being honest?
It's all about credibility, just like when you buy a car: you either trust the salesperson or you don't. In my job, it's the same thing—I will tend to trust an appropriately attired candidate with a firm handshake who arrives ahead of time. Of course, I will then check out that person's references from coworkers and also clients—often doctors—who often provide valuable observations.

What's the minimum background you should have?
Clients require a minimum of a bachelor's degree for sales representative positions. Without that, they won't even want to meet the candidate.

What selling points should be highlighted?
On the CV, I recommend that candidates list all extraprofessional experiences that could be relevant. I'm always amazed when I discover that the person I'm interviewing spent a few months in Africa on a humanitarian mission, or reached a high competitive level in a certain sport. Above and beyond professional qualifications, you want to know who you're dealing with. Any experience that demonstrates value and leadership skills should be mentioned. These aptitudes often make all the difference: my long-term vision motivates me to present candidates with management potential, who will be able to move into a product or sales manager role.

What questions do you like candidates to ask?
I like candidates who try to sell themselves, which is perfectly appropriate for pharmaceutical reps! So I'll tend to click with a candidate who tries to convince me and then close the sale by asking whether I liked their offering, for example.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Alternative Career for Doctors
There could be many, but the u/mentioned three (3) come to my mind:

1. Clinical Research Officers (after a post grad course)
Usually after a certificate program (1 year in length with 3 months internship), which is offered by many colleges, an IMD can be employed in a growing health industry (pharmaceutical, biotechnology & medical devices companies, research institutes & hospitals) involved in development of new drugs and therapies. U could be responsible for conducting clinical trials, which means conducting experiments on humans with new drugs/therapies before these are introduced to the market.
Eg. site offering such program:
http://www.humber.ca/program/07681

2. Regulatory Affairs Officers (after a post grad course)
Regulatory affairs professionals help businesses ensure that product development, manufacturing and marketing practices meet or exceed government requirements. Again in response to a growing need in the health and food industries, the Regulatory Affairs Officers provide their specialized knowledge to help biotechnology, medical device, pharmaceutical and food companies manage Govtl. regulatory processes.
http://www.humber.ca/program/07721

3. Forensic Health Officers (after a post grad course)
An FHO is gainfully employed in law enforcement organizations. They are often involved in situations where they are required to assess and provide professional assistance to victims of crime. As a result of advances in forensic science, it has become necessary for providers of law enforcement to incorporate FHOs into their service - in order to ensure that not only is the client receiving a high standard of care, but also that forensic evidence is appropriately documented and preserved for subsequent legal proceedings.
http://www.senecac.on.ca/fulltime/FHS.html

Qorax

shaider

Star Member
Jul 16, 2011
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

For DENTISTS, which place is a good option.
A place where they usually give credit to your education from your home country.
A place where registration is easy for DENTISTS.
A province which is in need of DENTISTS.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
shaider said:
Hello

For DENTISTS, which place is a good option.
A place where they usually give credit to your education from your home country.
A place where registration is easy for DENTISTS.
A province which is in need of DENTISTS.
The pangs would be same in every province.

bsrk68

Dec 15, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/1999
LANDED..........
09/12/1999
qorax said:
The pangs would be same in every province.
Seconded...its pretty brutal. Had a dentist friend return to practice in UK cos the pangs were very hurtful.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bsrk68 said:
Seconded...its pretty brutal. Had a dentist friend return to practice in UK cos the pangs were very hurtful.
Good to see u back Srkrda !

tracesg

Star Member
Apr 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct-22-2011, Received Oct-27-2011 FedEx, Sign for by D. Stapleton
IELTS Request
Sent with application 8.5 overall
Thanks for the post, I personally think North America in general makes it very difficult for professionals from overseas to qualify and practice. I understand where they are coming from though, they need to protect the public and also to make sure that professional job markets are not flooded with foreign-trained individuals.
In the US, foreign-trained pharmacists are required to sit and pass 3 exams, FPGE, NAPLEX and the MPJE (depending on the state that you want to work in). To make it worse, you are not eligible to sit for FPGE (the first step) unless you have at least 5 years of continuous pharmacy education from overseas.
I have heard of other horrible stories from other professions as well; dentists are required to attend dental school for 2 years, MDs with years of experience from overseas are required to pass the USMLE then compete for a residency position before they can practice. One of my friends is a foreign-born-but-US-trained pharmacist that was working for CVS and the store manager was a pediatrician from Egypt and they would discuss on pediatric dosage all the time. The Egyptian pediatrician couldn't practice in the US as he couldn't get the minimum TOEFL.
Is Canada slightly better?

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
tracesg said:
Thanks for the post, I personally think North America in general makes it very difficult for professionals from overseas to qualify and practice. I understand where they are coming from though, they need to protect the public and also to make sure that professional job markets are not flooded with foreign-trained individuals.
In the US, foreign-trained pharmacists are required to sit and pass 3 exams, FPGE, NAPLEX and the MPJE (depending on the state that you want to work in). To make it worse, you are not eligible to sit for FPGE (the first step) unless you have at least 5 years of continuous pharmacy education from overseas.
I have heard of other horrible stories from other professions as well; dentists are required to attend dental school for 2 years, MDs with years of experience from overseas are required to pass the USMLE then compete for a residency position before they can practice. One of my friends is a foreign-born-but-US-trained pharmacist that was working for CVS and the store manager was a pediatrician from Egypt and they would discuss on pediatric dosage all the time. The Egyptian pediatrician couldn't practice in the US as he couldn't get the minimum TOEFL.
Is Canada slightly better?
On the contrary.

bsrk68

Dec 15, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/1999
LANDED..........
09/12/1999
qorax said:
Good to see u back Srkrda !
Been off and on here. Spoke to Mitali today and she mentioned about you. Would love to share a coffee with you someday QoraxDa.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
bsrk68 said:
Been off and on here. Spoke to Mitali today and she mentioned about you. Would love to share a coffee with you someday QoraxDa.
Srkrda,

Tomorrow - Derry/Rexwood Tim Hortons ?
Your timing...

Qorax

bsrk68

Dec 15, 2010
Toronto
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/01/1999
LANDED..........
09/12/1999
Sounds good. 6.00 - 6.15 pm works for you? Will pm you my number. Looking forward..

Qasimamel

Aug 1, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi
Frankly no success for doctors in Canada it is abig scam,better for doctor who earn suitable income and stable life not to come to Canada 8)
it is just an advice!!!! advice!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)