+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do we send original Passport or copies??

rbkrzmarcik

Jan 30, 2012
We received the request for passport yesterday from the LA office (US Spousal Sponsorship outside Canada).
In the email, it states to send the original valid passport but then it also says:
If you and/or your dependent(s) hold a passport from a visa exempt country, this office will NOT require your/their passport(s) to finalize this case. Only submit the passport(s) for those persons who require a visa for Canada. For all others, submit a clear photocopy of every page in their valid passports.

That would be us right? (he's a us citizen and therefore Visa Exempt). So we can send them copies of every page?

Anyone else had experience with this??
Bev

tahsinmohammad

Sep 1, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Citizenship
rbkrzmarcik said:
We received the request for passport yesterday from the LA office (US Spousal Sponsorship outside Canada).
In the email, it states to send the original valid passport but then it also says:
If you and/or your dependent(s) hold a passport from a visa exempt country, this office will NOT require your/their passport(s) to finalize this case. Only submit the passport(s) for those persons who require a visa for Canada. For all others, submit a clear photocopy of every page in their valid passports.

That would be us right? (he's a us citizen and therefore Visa Exempt). So we can send them copies of every page?

Anyone else had experience with this??
Bev
Just the copies of every page...Good luck

ammead

Feb 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-03-2013
Med's Done....
05-03-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-09-2013
I would check your email again just to be certain, but I am a US citizen as well and mine required only a scanned copy of my photo page. Mine is being processed through the Ottawa office though, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Mine said very specifically: "You are a citizen of a country that is exempted from obtaining a visa to visit Canada under Regulation 190 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. You are therefore required to send only a copy or scanned image of the photo page of your passport and of any pages indicating a validity extension or change to your personal information. You must submit these copies/scans for yourself and for all your accompanying family member(s).

DO NOT SEND YOUR ORIGINAL PASSPORT(S). We require copies of a VALID passport for yourself and every accompanying family member. Please note that permanent resident visas cannot be issued on Diplomatic, Official or Military passports."

So I would check the email again just to confirm, but I believe it would be the same for your husband as it was for me. However, if it doesn't specifically say Do not send your original, you may need to. Good luck!