+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I need to submit Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409)?

berkancam

Aug 14, 2019
Hello everyone.

I am a Turkish citizen and I live in Colombia with my common law partner since January 2020 and we declared our common-law partnership here in Colombia. We have our notarized deed that is stating our common-law relationship and I applied and got approved for Colombian work visa thanks to the deed.

I am planning to apply for a Canadian study permit next week. I have all my documents ready but I am confused about one thing.

My partner won't accompany me to Canada, but in the "Guide 5269 - Applying for a Study Permit outside Canada" it says "If you are in a common-law union, you must also fill out the Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) form and include it with your application." I checked the form and as far as I understood we have to fill the form before a public notary. I am going to include our declaration deed with its certified translation as a proof of my tie here since I am going to come back to Colombia and keep working here after I finish my studies in Canada.

So my questions are:

-Do I still need to fill iMM 5409 before a notary even I already have a notarized deed and my partner won't be accompany me to Canada?
-The form is in English and English is not one of the official languages of Colombia so If I have to fill it how a Colombian notary would be able to sign it? In this case do I need to translate the form first?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello everyone.

I am a Turkish citizen and I live in Colombia with my common law partner since January 2020 and we declared our common-law partnership here in Colombia. We have our notarized deed that is stating our common-law relationship and I applied and got approved for Colombian work visa thanks to the deed.

I am planning to apply for a Canadian study permit next week. I have all my documents ready but I am confused about one thing.

My partner won't accompany me to Canada, but in the "Guide 5269 - Applying for a Study Permit outside Canada" it says "If you are in a common-law union, you must also fill out the Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (IMM 5409) form and include it with your application." I checked the form and as far as I understood we have to fill the form before a public notary. I am going to include our declaration deed with its certified translation as a proof of my tie here since I am going to come back to Colombia and keep working here after I finish my studies in Canada.

So my questions are:

-Do I still need to fill iMM 5409 before a notary even I already have a notarized deed and my partner won't be accompany me to Canada?
-The form is in English and English is not one of the official languages of Colombia so If I have to fill it how a Colombian notary would be able to sign it? In this case do I need to translate the form first?

Thank you!
You need to fill up a form and include with your application even though your partner will not accompany you. This is because, if you change your mind in future, immigration has on records that you are in common law relationship. Secondly, you are being honest and it will add up when considering your tie back in Columbia

berkancam

Aug 14, 2019
You need to fill up a form and include with your application even though your partner will not accompany you. This is because, if you change your mind in future, immigration has on records that you are in common law relationship. Secondly, you are being honest and it will add up when considering your tie back in Columbia
thank you!

MarieCol

May 4, 2021
Hey there! Some local notary are familiar with this form and will sing it even though it is in English. Just have your Common-law deed with you. Did this document as well here in Bogota last week. Good luck!

FRLDT

Sep 11, 2021
Hey there! Some local notary are familiar with this form and will sing it even though it is in English. Just have your Common-law deed with you. Did this document as well here in Bogota last week. Good luck!
Hi Marie, do you know which notary in Bogota would sign the form? thanks

nathaliazrm

Oct 22, 2023
Hi, is this form for common-law couples in Canada only? Or for international applicants? My friends are in Medellin Colombia and they have their own certification issued by the notary there. Not the IMM5409 which is in english.