+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Do I have to notarize the copy of my passport?

spring2009

Star Member
Mar 19, 2009
To apply, CIC requires a photocopy of the principal passport’s bio-data page.
Do I have to notarize this copy?

Thanks.

Canary

Mar 12, 2009
Well, according to the rules in London all photocopies have to be notarized, I am going to notarize my passport too. I guess its up to you, but why take the change, they will only send it back and delay the process even more.

oicur0t

Feb 16, 2009
Canary said:
Well, according to the rules in London all photocopies have to be notarized, I am going to notarize my passport too. I guess its up to you, but why take the change, they will only send it back and delay the process even more.
Where is this information from the London office? On their section http://www.dfait.gc.ca/missions/unitedkingdom-royaumeuni/visas/forms-formulaires-eng.asp#permanent
there is no checklist for FSW, so I am taking the standard checklist, which does NOT say notarize photocopies (E37023.pdf)

spring2009

Star Member
Mar 19, 2009
I am going to send the application to Buffalo/USA. Does anybody know?
The CIC website doesn't mention anything about the notarization, but I just want to be careful to ask. I don't want my application to be sent back just because of this simple thing.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

spring2009 said:
I am going to send the application to Buffalo/USA. Does anybody know?
The CIC website doesn't mention anything about the notarization, but I just want to be careful to ask. I don't want my application to be sent back just because of this simple thing.
"When all else fails, read the instructions"

1. If you read Appendix A for Buffalo,the only things that require notarized copies are:
#6 • Professional qualifications certificates: notarized professional qualifications
certificates should be submitted if available. (e.g., Engineer, Computer
Programmer, Accountant, Economist, Translator/Interpreter, Architect etc.)
#7 For you and your spouse or common-law partner:
• notarized employment contracts from your present and past employers,
accompanied by an English or French translation

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/E37048.pdf

PMM