+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different Place of Birth on Passport and Birth Certificate.

Sunny_Sharma

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
(Long Post - But Urgently need advice and help)

Hi,

I am in the process of applying for my wife's spouse visa under family class as an outland application. There is a mismatch between her place of birth on the passport and birth certificate:

Passport - It states that the place of birth is 'Gurgaon, Haryana'

Birth Certificate - It states that the place of birth is 'Delhi'. It was submitted to her school at the time of admission and only received a transfer certificate (Can attach it with the application if required) when she left the school. When she applied for her passport, she used her ID card (Aadhar card) and matriculation certificate (Class Xth certificate) as proof, because of which her passport now states 'Gurgaon, Haryana' as her place of birth. It was a mistake on our part since we failed to check it.

Since the Birth Certificate was never really required until now, we never checked. We are now trying to obtain the Birth Certificate from the local municipal government but that will state 'Delhi' as her place of birth.

Question 1: Do I absolutely have to provide a Birth certificate? I see IMM 5533 has a checkbox for a Birth Certificate.

Question 2: If I submit the Birth Certificate that we are trying to obtain from the local municipal government, how do I justify the difference in place of birth between passport and BC?

Question 3: As per many visa consultants, we don't need to show the birth certificate since I am a Canadian Citizen (I am not completely convinced though).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Question 2: If I submit the Birth Certificate that we are trying to obtain from the local municipal government, how do I justify the difference in place of birth between passport and BC?
Include a letter of explanation that the mismatch occurred because of Indian passport procedures (what docs they require to show place of brith in passport), but that Delhi is the actual place of birth.

It seems these issues come up often enough (from India, specifically), can't imagine they turn them down due to this.

Question 3: As per many visa consultants, we don't need to show the birth certificate since I am a Canadian Citizen (I am not completely convinced though).
That's utter nonsense and a good illustration of why one should avoid these types of consultants. Fire any who provided this idiotic advice.

Sunny_Sharma

Star Member
Feb 7, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Include a letter of explanation that the mismatch occurred because of Indian passport procedures (what docs they require to show place of brith in passport), but that Delhi is the actual place of birth.

It seems these issues come up often enough (from India, specifically), can't imagine they turn them down due to this.

That's utter nonsense and a good illustration of why one should avoid these types of consultants. Fire any who provided this idiotic advice.
Thank you for the response. Will include a letter of explanation with the application. Hopefully everything works out.

guri3898

Apr 22, 2024
Thank you for the response. Will include a letter of explanation with the application. Hopefully everything works out.
Hello,

I am in same situation and got suggestions from. “armoured”. Can you please advise if this worked for you or if any specific thing you added in application? Did you used any type of affidavit with it?

Please advise.