+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

different name on my passport and umiversity transcripts

zaidkhalid

Oct 29, 2008
HI I got different name on the passport and the university transcript, in the family name. But my old passport has the same family name as in the university certificate is this would be fine.

Cheers,
Zaid

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
why is the name different? well, it doesn't really matter, just attach a copy of the document that makes the name change official.
for example, if you got married and then changed your name, the marriage certificate should (I believe) show your former name and the new name.
otherwise, you'll need to ask for a document that shows your old name and the new name correspond to the same person (you).

not so complicated.

zaidkhalid

Oct 29, 2008
Thank you for your help.
The situation is in my old passport and my university transcripts they just include my former name(s) without my family name. so is this make a problem or not, actually I have my old passport in my hand which prove my old name .

Thanks

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
like I said, you have to prove that the two different names correspond to the same person. basically, you have to indicate how the process of going from the old name to the new name happened.

or maybe it doesn't matter. i don't know. you can always take the risk. myself, I prefer to be on the safe side and avoid delays.

pbusa15

Feb 2, 2008
Hi, zaidkhalid

What I understood that you have changed your name on your new passport. In this case you need a proof from birth registration authorities (or relevant authorities) in your country about the name change, then you are fine. If you have not done it formally then you go through the process of name change in your country.

zaidkhalid

Oct 29, 2008
basically I did not change my name but the old system of the passport in my country did not include the family name or in other words the granfather name represented as a family name . Nowadays, the new system of passport is including the family name. When I ordered my university transcripts I ordered them according to my printname in the old passport.

Cheers

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
zaidkhalid said:
basically I did not change my name but the old system of the passport in my country did not include the family name or in other words the granfather name represented as a family name . Nowadays, the new system of passport is including the family name. When I ordered my university transcripts I ordered them according to my printname in the old passport.

Cheers
Now it's clear... So, keeping in mind that this is not my job, I'm not a professional, and that you're free to do whatever you want, I suggest:

1) Get a document from the government (could be a copy of the law that changed the passport naming system) that shows why you have one name in the university doc. and another in the passport;

or

2) Get the university to issue a document stating that you are who you say you are;

or

3) Get someone in the government (there must be an authority responsible for keeping a registry of everyone in the country) to attest that you are who you say you are;

4) Go ahead with what you have and hope that the office processing your application is aware of the change in the passport system.

I cannot think of any other alternative. good luck!