+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependant NON-accompanying Issues

caro

Apr 22, 2011
Hi Ashleighash,

Just read your posts and I am in a very similar situation. I'm Canadian wanting to sponsor my Costa Rican husband to Canada, we both live in CR. He has a dependent child who he is not close with, rarely sees, and who will not be immigrating to Canada. I'm worried about being able to get the child's medical record and photos(pretty sure the mother will be difficult). Just wondering how this eventually worked out for you guys and if it's really necessary to get these things in order for the husband to be approved?? My husband has no plans to sponsor his child to Canada in the future. I know it's a year since this topic was posted but if you could let me know what info you have now I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There was a case on here recently where a man was refused his PR under spousal sponsorship because immigration believed that he had not made the fullest effort to get the medicals for his 14 yo. son. In that case, he also had no contact with the child and did not even know where he and the mother were located. Immigration did not think that was a good reason enough so he had to find them and try to get the medicals and document that he had tried this.

Therefore, I urge you to get a lawyer and try to force the mother to make the child available for medicals. Even if you don't succeed, at least it will be documented that you tried and you can send those papers to immigration.

Immigration does not want to give parents a choice to cut dependent children out of their lives by making the decision that they will not get medicals and will never be sponsored so that is why a parent must show effort. You also don't know that things will not change in the future. Your husbands son may contact him again once he is 18 and they may develope a good relationship but then he can't be sponsored because he didn't get the medicals when he was a child. Things could also happen sooner. Say something happens to the mother and the child has nowhere to go.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If my spouse has a child a baby 2 years old n the mom is being real nasty as she has not gotten over the relationship there will never be a need to sponsor the child as the mom is very vindictive do we include the child on our application because he has seen the child once in 2 years moms doing and do u think they will find out he has a child if we do not include that on the application as the jury is still out on whether the child is his DNA requested but mom is not complying

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I understand that this thread is old and has now come up again because others have found themselves in similar situations. I certainly hope the original OP did not follow this advice:

iarblue said:
. . . But on your app make sure you do say you have a child,the medicals are not needed unless you are sponsoring the child,and as for visits if she does not sign a letter stating that you are allowed to bring this child before the age of 18 you will never get him to visit Canada you need his ex wife to sign a letter allowing you to travel with this child.You will never get past customs,immigration in the airport without it.
ashleighash said:
We never plan on having the child visit Canada or leaving at any point or time in his life.
iarblue said:
Then you dont have to worry about his medicals or anything else.Just make sure he does put him as a dependant in the app and it will be fine.
I sure hope the OP did not listen to this advice. Here's what I would have said:

Never say never. Your husband has an obligation to his son - whether he plans to bring him to Canada or not - and CIC is not going to "be comfortable" (for lack of a better way to put it) with anything that looks like he is trying to walk away from that obligation . . . and I'm not talking about child support. Do NOT interpret this to mean that I'm implying that is what he's trying to do - I'm not. But CIC will interpret it that way and they will do whatever it takes to stop that from happening. I just recently read about a man whose application was refused because he could not compel examination for his two daughters - aged 19 and 21 - whom he hadn't seen since they were toddlers! He was in Canada, they are in New Zealand! Hopefully that helps you see how serious CIC is about the "dependent child" issue.

Forget about trying to "prove" that you are not going to sponsor his son - you're focusing in the wrong direction. The child HAS to be included on the application and HAS to be medically examined - even if he is not immigrating. That is the very minimum requirement. It is not uncommon for an ex to be fearful that the other parent immigrating means that, somehow, the child will be stolen from them and whisked off to Canada. The reality is that there is absolutely no chance of this happening. Even if the child was designated as an "accompanying" dependent, there would be no way that CIC would issue a PR visa for the child without the other parent's written consent. In fact, the child would not even be able to enter Canada as a visitor without written authorization from the absent parent. So, even if your husband wanted to bring his son to Canada - he could not do it without her written authorization.

That said, having the child medically examined protects him for the future - and CIC is all about the "best interest of the child". Unless the medical examination happens now - when his father immigrates - it would be absolutely impossible for his son to ever come to Canada in the future, even if something happened to his mother. You are going to have a fight on your hands if you try to circumvent that - it would have to come down to the mother absolutely refusing to allow examination and your husband having no recourse to change that. However, considering the fact that your husband still lives in the same country as his son and has legal access to him (even if the mother is interfering with that), CIC is not likely to believe that he cannot somehow manage to get the child examined. Bottom line: it's imperative that he works it out in whatever way he can. He does not need the mother's permission to take the child to a DMP and have him examined. It is a very brief, non-invasive procedure that involves no more than a chest xray, urinalysis, and simple physical exam of sight, hearing, motor skills, etc. I don't think they even take blood from anyone under 14 yrs of age. The child does not need a passport to be examined (and doesn't need one to be included on the application either, at least as a non-accompanying dependent).

There is absolutely no way that the child having this examination gives your husband any ability whatsoever to take him from his home country, or from his mother - so no need for her to fear it, and if he took her to court over it, he would win. I encourage you both not to focus on how you can convince CIC that the child is not immigrating - because they don't care. They want to protect his future right to be sponsored by his father - because he is too young right now to make that choice for himself. Here's some further information from the immigration processing manual - oh, also: you do not need to have a copy of the custody agreement unless the child is immigrating, and CIC really doesn't care whether your husband is honouring his child support obligation. They leave that to the proper agencies in the home country. The obligation they do take seriously is your husband's responsibility to make sure his child will not end up orphaned and homeless one day.

From Section 5.12 of the OP2 Processing Manual:
Under both the previous legislation and under IRPA, both the applicant and the applicant's family members, whether accompanying or not, must meet the requirements of the legislation. There are no exceptions to the requirement that all family members must be declared. With few exceptions, this also means that all family members must be examined as part of the process for achieving permanent residence. Officers should be open to the possibility that a client may not be able to make a family member available for examination. If an applicant has done everything in their power to have their family member examined but has failed to do so, and the officer is satisfied that they are aware of the consequences of this (i.e., no future sponsorship possible), then a refusal of their application for non-compliance would not be appropriate.

Officers must decide on a case-by-case basis using common sense and good judgment whether to proceed with an application even if all family members have not been examined. Some scenarios where this may likely occur include where an ex-spouse refuses to allow a child to be examined, or an overage dependant refuses to be examined. Proceeding in this way should be a last resort and only after the officer is convinced that the applicant cannot make the family member available for examination. The applicant themselves cannot choose not to have a family member examined.

The intent of R117(9)(d), R117(10) and R117(11) is to ensure that persons whom the sponsor made a conscious decision to exclude (either by not declaring and/or not having the persons examined) from their own application for permanent residence cannot later benefit by being sponsored by this same person as a member of the family class."

The important part of this is the two points: the applicant has done everything in their power (including getting the courts involved to compel examination) and, the applicant cannot choose not to have a family member examined. It will be difficult, in your husband's situation, where he is still in his home country and has at least some legal access to the child, to convince an officer that he has "done everything in his power to have the child examined" and has still failed to accomplish it. They are not going to look past the fact that a family court judge can order the mother to allow your husband access to the child, and can compel the examination "in the best interest" of the child. Ultimately, that's the most important part: having the child examined so that one day, if needed or wanted by the child, your husband can apply to sponsor him to come to Canada. One personal note: I am, like you, married to someone with children from a previous marriage - and I'd advise that you really don't want to put yourself in the middle of this, even if your intention is just to make the application process easier. Let him work this out so that there is no room in the future for resentment against you if something unforeseen happens and his child can't move to Canada because you guys wanted to take short cuts today.

Reactions: *nn*

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Kedeisha said:
If my spouse has a child a baby 2 years old n the mom is being real nasty as she has not gotten over the relationship there will never be a need to sponsor the child as the mom is very vindictive do we include the child on our application because he has seen the child once in 2 years moms doing and do u think they will find out he has a child if we do not include that on the application as the jury is still out on whether the child is his DNA requested but mom is not complying
If there is any chance that the child is his, you have to include him/her on the application. So I would say either include the child and face that s/he has to be medically examined as a result, or get the DNA test accomplished to know for sure whether it's an issue.

CIC will NOT put themselves in the middle of a domestic squabble over child custody issues. They will refuse the application before they'll do that - so don't put yourselves in the middle of it either. Get the work done ahead of time and then submit a "clear" application, prepared to support whatever needs to be done to get it finalized favourably.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My spouse has 3 sisters and older brother and dad as family members they are all older than him he is 23 do they have to be included in the application as with the Canadian Law brothers cant sponsor brothers/sisters or its just really hard to do that as for his dad he is really old in his 60's so do I include any of them

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Kedeisha said:
My spouse has 3 sisters and older brother and dad as family members they are all older than him he is 23 do they have to be included in the application as with the Canadian Law brothers cant sponsor brothers/sisters or its just really hard to do that as for his dad he is really old in his 60's so do I include any of them
Sisters, brothers and parents are NOT dependent family members - and are not able to be sponsored as part of a spousal application. They need to be declared in the applicant's "Additional Family Information" form, because they may be eligible to be sponsored by the current applicant at a later date, after they become a PR, but they are not included as co-applicants on the spousal sponsorship application you are submitting now.

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
do they need medical or just the hubby n his baby n do we submit pictures for them im really confused as I have no clue

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
No, no medicals or photos for brothers, sisters or parents. Only your husband and his dependents (any child under the age of 22 years who is not married or in a common-law relationship) - being eligible to be sponsored by you on this application - need to undergo medical examination and submit photos. You cannot sponsor his other family members - so they are not included in this application except that, as I mentioned earlier, he declares them as his extended family on the Additional Family Info form, because he may be eligible to sponsor them in the future, once he's a permanent resident himself. But that would be under a different application - and then they would undergo medical examination, etc., to apply to become permanent residents. Right now they have nobody who is eligible to sponsor them, so they can't immigrate and they don't have to be examined.

can_2010

Apr 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello RobsLuv,

That was nice post. I have a situation, where my ex has given custody of my son to me through Notarized agreement and my son is with me, but we never took the matter to court for Custody of child.

Will there be any problem in getting the Visa for me and my son ?? I am already married second time and have a 9 months old son from second marriage. My elder son (son from my first wife) stays with me and i am taking care of his studies.

RobsLuv said:
I understand that this thread is old and has now come up again because others have found themselves in similar situations. I certainly hope the original OP did not follow this advice:
I sure hope the OP did not listen to this advice. Here's what I would have said:

Never say never. Your husband has an obligation to his son - whether he plans to bring him to Canada or not - and CIC is not going to "be comfortable" (for lack of a better way to put it) with anything that looks like he is trying to walk away from that obligation . . . and I'm not talking about child support. Do NOT interpret this to mean that I'm implying that is what he's trying to do - I'm not. But CIC will interpret it that way and they will do whatever it takes to stop that from happening. I just recently read about a man whose application was refused because he could not compel examination for his two daughters - aged 19 and 21 - whom he hadn't seen since they were toddlers! He was in Canada, they are in New Zealand! Hopefully that helps you see how serious CIC is about the "dependent child" issue.

Forget about trying to "prove" that you are not going to sponsor his son - you're focusing in the wrong direction. The child HAS to be included on the application and HAS to be medically examined - even if he is not immigrating. That is the very minimum requirement. It is not uncommon for an ex to be fearful that the other parent immigrating means that, somehow, the child will be stolen from them and whisked off to Canada. The reality is that there is absolutely no chance of this happening. Even if the child was designated as an "accompanying" dependent, there would be no way that CIC would issue a PR visa for the child without the other parent's written consent. In fact, the child would not even be able to enter Canada as a visitor without written authorization from the absent parent. So, even if your husband wanted to bring his son to Canada - he could not do it without her written authorization.

That said, having the child medically examined protects him for the future - and CIC is all about the "best interest of the child". Unless the medical examination happens now - when his father immigrates - it would be absolutely impossible for his son to ever come to Canada in the future, even if something happened to his mother. You are going to have a fight on your hands if you try to circumvent that - it would have to come down to the mother absolutely refusing to allow examination and your husband having no recourse to change that. However, considering the fact that your husband still lives in the same country as his son and has legal access to him (even if the mother is interfering with that), CIC is not likely to believe that he cannot somehow manage to get the child examined. Bottom line: it's imperative that he works it out in whatever way he can. He does not need the mother's permission to take the child to a DMP and have him examined. It is a very brief, non-invasive procedure that involves no more than a chest xray, urinalysis, and simple physical exam of sight, hearing, motor skills, etc. I don't think they even take blood from anyone under 14 yrs of age. The child does not need a passport to be examined (and doesn't need one to be included on the application either, at least as a non-accompanying dependent).

There is absolutely no way that the child having this examination gives your husband any ability whatsoever to take him from his home country, or from his mother - so no need for her to fear it, and if he took her to court over it, he would win. I encourage you both not to focus on how you can convince CIC that the child is not immigrating - because they don't care. They want to protect his future right to be sponsored by his father - because he is too young right now to make that choice for himself. Here's some further information from the immigration processing manual - oh, also: you do not need to have a copy of the custody agreement unless the child is immigrating, and CIC really doesn't care whether your husband is honouring his child support obligation. They leave that to the proper agencies in the home country. The obligation they do take seriously is your husband's responsibility to make sure his child will not end up orphaned and homeless one day.

From Section 5.12 of the :
Under both the previous legislation and under IRPA, both the applicant and the applicant's family members, whether accompanying or not, must meet the requirements of the legislation. There are no exceptions to the requirement that all family members must be declared. With few exceptions, this also means that all family members must be examined as part of the process for achieving permanent residence. Officers should be open to the possibility that a client may not be able to make a family member available for examination. If an applicant has done everything in their power to have their family member examined but has failed to do so, and the officer is satisfied that they are aware of the consequences of this (i.e., no future sponsorship possible), then a refusal of their application for non-compliance would not be appropriate.

Officers must decide on a case-by-case basis using common sense and good judgment whether to proceed with an application even if all family members have not been examined. Some scenarios where this may likely occur include where an ex-spouse refuses to allow a child to be examined, or an overage dependant refuses to be examined. Proceeding in this way should be a last resort and only after the officer is convinced that the applicant cannot make the family member available for examination. The applicant themselves cannot choose not to have a family member examined.

The intent of R117(9)(d), R117(10) and R117(11) is to ensure that persons whom the sponsor made a conscious decision to exclude (either by not declaring and/or not having the persons examined) from their own application for permanent residence cannot later benefit by being sponsored by this same person as a member of the family class."

The important part of this is the two points: the applicant has done everything in their power (including getting the courts involved to compel examination) and, the applicant cannot choose not to have a family member examined. It will be difficult, in your husband's situation, where he is still in his home country and has at least some legal access to the child, to convince an officer that he has "done everything in his power to have the child examined" and has still failed to accomplish it. They are not going to look past the fact that a family court judge can order the mother to allow your husband access to the child, and can compel the examination "in the best interest" of the child. Ultimately, that's the most important part: having the child examined so that one day, if needed or wanted by the child, your husband can apply to sponsor him to come to Canada. One personal note: I am, like you, married to someone with children from a previous marriage - and I'd advise that you really don't want to put yourself in the middle of this, even if your intention is just to make the application process easier. Let him work this out so that there is no room in the future for resentment against you if something unforeseen happens and his child can't move to Canada because you guys wanted to take short cuts today.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
can_2010 said:
Hello RobsLuv,

That was nice post. I have a situation, where my ex has given custody of my son to me through Notarized agreement and my son is with me, but we never took the matter to court for Custody of child.

Will there be any problem in getting the Visa for me and my son ?? I am already married second time and have a 9 months old son from second marriage. My elder son (son from my first wife) stays with me and i am taking care of his studies.
It will depend on how the notarized agreement is worded. You don't have to have a court document giving you full custody if you have an agreement that gives you the right to decide where the child will live, etc. I don't have a full custody agreement for my daughter, but she was allowed to immigrate because her father signed a notarized declaration authorizing me to take her with me to Canada. If you have doubts, have an immigration attorney look over your document - or have your child's father sign an addendum, referencing the original document, specifically stating that he gives authorization for the child to immigrate. You may not even need him to get the second document notarized if the signature is the same - I had one document notarized by my ex (verifying his signature), and submitted another document from him that wasn't notarized and they accepted it.

can_2010

Apr 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks RobsLuv. I am child's father. :)

Fearing that CHC might ask for Court order for custody of child, i had filed the petition after submitting all the papers to CHC ND and even got the court order for custody of my son and also that I can take my son out of country as well. But I did not submit it to CHC till now, as my consultant asked me not to. Consultant said that if CHC would need more details or will have any doubt for custody of child, they themself will ask us. They asked me not to submit the court order stating that you have not informed CHC that you have filed application in court for custody of child and all of sudden court order. CHC might have many questions about it.