+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Delay in study permit approval applied from within Canada

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
Hi @legalfalcon

I am writing about my girlfriend’s study permit application in Canada that she submitted on January 16th, 2024, and is still pending as of today (10th June 2024). Her biometric scans for the application were submitted the same day as well.

She is an Italian national and came to Western University after her acceptance in the PhD program. She came to Canada as a Visiting Graduate student in December 2023 since she could enter Canada without a visa and stay here up to 6 months without a study permit to start her research/studies at the university. Upon arriving here, she applied for her study permit from within Canada with the hope that she will be able to obtain her study permit within the 6-month visiting period and then switch her status from that of a visiting student to a full-time student at the university, as advised to her by the department. The processing time for applications from within Canada at the time of application was actually 3-4 weeks (much quicker than applications outside Canada).

However, it’s been 5 months, and a decision has still not been made on her application. Unfortunately, since her visiting status at the university expired, she had to travel back home. She had to defer her admission in the summer term, and we are worried that she may have to defer her admission again if the application is not processed soon. We have reached out to IRCC several times but only get their template/automated responses (weeks later) with no useful information. She even contacted a local MP whose office said they could help but hasn’t heard back from them either even upon multiple follow-ups. It seems like we have exhausted all the options we could think of.

We are not sure of what we should do next! Should she delete her application and re-apply from outside Canada? Or should she stick with current application? We don’t know why it’s taking so long. We thought this should have been a straightforward application since she was accepted into a fully funded PhD program at a reputed university in Canada. Is there something we can do to expedite the process? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you!

AravSri

Jun 11, 2024
I am having a somewhat similar issue myself and am very worried.

I have been studying Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics at the University of Toronto since fall 2022 and just completed my 2nd year. At the time of my initial application before I came to Canada for the first time, my passport was expiring in May 2024, as a result my visa was also expiring in mid-May. Hence, in January this year (January 22nd) I started the renewal process.

I applied for the study permit renewal in order to apply for the student TRV visa renewal. I have already received the document number of the renewed study permit in mid-Feb (Feb 16th) however even after 6 weeks I had still not received the physical document while I was in Canada and eventually on April 16th (2 weeks before I was scheduled to fly home to Bangkok) IRCC said there were issues with the delivery of the permit to my address and that they’d begin the resending process once I update my address.

I was getting no updates about the status of my study permit delivery, it was now mid-May, I was getting very delayed and applied for visa renewal anyway using a letter I got from IRCC stating my new Study Permit document number and its expiry date instead of using the actual permit.

I just visited the Bangkok VAC for the second time this week after submitting many WebForms and emails but getting no replies. I've been trying to reach an agent I can talk to in order to resolve this issue since mid-April (2 months!) to no avail, I'm growing worried as I must return to Canada very soon to commence my 3rd year of studies. I began this process well ahead of time but nothing is being done, I’m just being told to submit emails, forms, and to wait. How do I know if redelivery is being done. How do I even request them to redeliver my permit to my updated address. How do I request IRCC to expedite my visa renewal on an emergency basis? I have no idea. And somewhat similar to your girlfriend, if I don't make it in time, I risk having to defer my studies for a year and losing a $100,000 scholarship.

If you get any updates or find any solutions, please let me know, I'm thinking of spreading word about these IRCC delays in my college communities and seeking out help from my university.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
I am sorry you are facing this issue. It's really frustrating when IRCC does not respond or only gives template/automated answers which are useless. Their job is to answer questions and because of this tendency, I feel we are always in the dark when dealing with CIC related processes.

So now you don't have your visa either? I am not sure I understand this but why did you leave the country? I was a graduate student in Canada as well and it is my understanding that if your study permit is renewed, meaning you have the document number then you can remain fully enrolled in your program as long as you provide the university your online approval confirmation. I was in your situation in 2020 during the pandemic. Even though I got my study permit in 4 months, my visa took one year and during that period I did not leave Canada. Why did you leave the country?

PS The primary difference between your case and my girlfriend's case is that she was a first time applicant and you are renewing your permit. Like I said in the latter you don't have to leave the country and remain enrolled (with all benefits) as long as you have applied 30 days before current permit expiry and if you don't leave the country.

AravSri

Jun 11, 2024
Hi thanks for the sentiment, it's nice to receive some acknowledgement from someone.

I knew I could stay in Canada as long as I wanted and I was even considering it but in retrospect I guess there wouldn't have been any point as I've still not received any communication about redelivery from IRCC. At the time I had no reason to stay since my semester ended in mid-April and I was excited to return home to be with family for summer breaks.

I find it really strange though that this entire glitch/roadblock arises just from the fact that IRCC somehow failed to deliver my permit to a straightforward address that I've received correspondence to before and didn't even attempt redelivery. I was hoping that IRCC would redeliver to my address, my roommate would send me a scan, and then 4 months of summer would be enough time to renew my visa from outside Canada (or so I thought). It may sound conspiratorial but I wonder if it's possible that they didn't deliver my permit on purpose considering that they've capped the number of international students being allowed into the country.

I didn't need a PAL at the time of my application and still might be exempt from needing one but am thinking of getting one anyway to be safe in case I decide to scrap my application and apply for another permit from outside Canada, but then again the processing time is 15 weeks and my 3rd year term starts in about 12 weeks.

It's such a shame that they put students who just want to come, study, and leave under such stress. I intended to came back home and do something productive over the summer like an internship somewhere in Asia but I can't even do that due to how much uncertainty there is right now and how time-consuming and stressful it is to keep track of my application and to follow-up with IRCC. I am sorry that your girlfriend is having to face such difficulty as well, I wish you all the best.

Last edited:

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Hi @legalfalcon

I am writing about my girlfriend’s study permit application in Canada that she submitted on January 16th, 2024, and is still pending as of today (10th June 2024). Her biometric scans for the application were submitted the same day as well.

She is an Italian national and came to Western University after her acceptance in the PhD program. She came to Canada as a Visiting Graduate student in December 2023 since she could enter Canada without a visa and stay here up to 6 months without a study permit to start her research/studies at the university. Upon arriving here, she applied for her study permit from within Canada with the hope that she will be able to obtain her study permit within the 6-month visiting period and then switch her status from that of a visiting student to a full-time student at the university, as advised to her by the department. The processing time for applications from within Canada at the time of application was actually 3-4 weeks (much quicker than applications outside Canada).

However, it’s been 5 months, and a decision has still not been made on her application. Unfortunately, since her visiting status at the university expired, she had to travel back home. She had to defer her admission in the summer term, and we are worried that she may have to defer her admission again if the application is not processed soon. We have reached out to IRCC several times but only get their template/automated responses (weeks later) with no useful information. She even contacted a local MP whose office said they could help but hasn’t heard back from them either even upon multiple follow-ups. It seems like we have exhausted all the options we could think of.

We are not sure of what we should do next! Should she delete her application and re-apply from outside Canada? Or should she stick with current application? We don’t know why it’s taking so long. We thought this should have been a straightforward application since she was accepted into a fully funded PhD program at a reputed university in Canada. Is there something we can do to expedite the process? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Isn't visiting graduate student when you are attending/enrolled at a different university

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi @legalfalcon

Thank you!
Hi @legalfalcon

Thank you!
Based on the information you have provided, it's not clear if your GF qualifies to apply for a study permit from within Canada.

When you say that she came as a visiting graduate student, does this mean she started her PhD studies or was she doing something else?

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
Based on the information you have provided, it's not clear if your GF qualifies to apply for a study permit from within Canada.

When you say that she came as a visiting graduate student, does this mean she started her PhD studies or was she doing something else?
Sorry, maybe I should have added this extra detail. She is part of a double PhD program between her home university in Italy and Western University in Canada and is required to conduct her research at both places. She was officially accepted into both Universities last fall. To start her research at Western she came here as a visiting student upon receiving an invitation letter. The idea, as recommended/proposed by the department here, was to apply while she is in Canada since the processing time was faster since this would allow her to start her scheduled research here without any delays. In short, she had an official invitation from Western to come as a visiting student along with her official full-time acceptance into the PhD program. She did what was suggested by the department/university at the time.

Our biggest dilemma now is-can something be done to speed up this current application/should we stick with this application? Or should we delete the application and start a fresh one from outside Canada since she is now in Italy. Note that she does not need a visa to come to Canada, only a study permit to stay here more than 6 months as a full-time student.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
Isn't visiting graduate student when you are attending/enrolled at a different university
Sorry for that confusion. Maybe I should have added this extra detail. She is part of a double PhD program between her home university in Italy and Western University in Canada and is required to conduct her research at both places. She was officially accepted into both Universities last fall. To start her research at Western she came here as a visiting student upon receiving an invitation letter. The idea, as recommended/proposed by the department here, was to apply while she is in Canada since the processing time was faster since this would allow her to start her scheduled research here without any delays. In short, she had an official invitation from Western to come as a visiting student along with her official full-time acceptance into the PhD program. She did what was suggested by the department/university at the time.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi @legalfalcon

Thank you!
Processing times are the same inland and outland. There is no way to expedite but assume she has raise a webform(s) to ask about processing times. Did she show any of her own funds even though fully funded? Would not reapply as this would start process all over. MPs are not really of help except to ask about status.

forevermore76

May 19, 2024
Sorry for that confusion. Maybe I should have added this extra detail. She is part of a double PhD program between her home university in Italy and Western University in Canada and is required to conduct her research at both places. She was officially accepted into both Universities last fall. To start her research at Western she came here as a visiting student upon receiving an invitation letter. The idea, as recommended/proposed by the department here, was to apply while she is in Canada since the processing time was faster since this would allow her to start her scheduled research here without any delays. In short, she had an official invitation from Western to come as a visiting student along with her official full-time acceptance into the PhD program. She did what was suggested by the department/university at the time.
Apply at POE.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
Processing times are the same inland and outland. There is no way to expedite but assume she has raise a webform(s) to ask about processing times. Did she show any of her own funds even though fully funded? Would not reapply as this would start process all over. MPs are not really of help except to ask about status.
The processing time at the time of applying (January 16, 2024) was 4 weeks from inside Canada and around 14 or 15 weeks from outside Canada, according to their website. After the application was filed, we noticed that the estimated processing time from within Canada was began to creep up and at some point reached 13 weeks. Either way we feel that 5 months is a long enough time to render a decision even if its to reject the application. They are keeping us hanging with absolutely no way to reach them, other than their template/automated responses. It's been quite frustrating because we did what were told to by the department.
And yes, her admission is fully funded from Europe and quite frankly with a financial that is significantly better that what is offered here, judging by what I have seen in Canada being a former international PhD student here myself.
It seems a like sunken cost fallacy. I feel that we've waited so long and that we should hear back from them soon. But we've been living with this feeling for a better part of the year.
I understand that MPs can't help much other than ask but what I don't like is that even after they said they will at least update us on the status of the application they are not even responding to emails (or telling us over phone) about what they've asked or if they've even heard from IRCC. They said will inform more than a month ago. Once again, my annoyance is not at the fact they they can't really do much, it's at the fact that they just start shunting you completely. I am only asking for an update.
Sorry if I sound frustrated but we've been really helpless on this.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
Apply at POE.
Someone I know (Chinese citizen) recently did that. That student was also in the same situation as my girlfriend. Does this work for Italian citizens? What exactly do we need to do for that? Unfortunately, she has already gone back to Italy so at this point it won't be a simple case of "flag poling" from the US border.

AG07

Jun 9, 2024
How? Only US citizens can apply for study permit at POE.

Only the following people can apply for a study permit at a Canadian port of entry:

• citizens and permanent residents of the USA,
  • residents of Greenland and St. Pierre and Miquelon.
Are your sure about that? A Chinese student I know very recently did that. It's difficult because I get different information from different sources so not sure what to act on.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are your sure about that? A Chinese student I know very recently did that. It's difficult because I get different information from different sources so not sure what to act on.
If you want to try it then go ahead. If denied, then you will know. You may even be denied entry into Canada. I find it hard to believe that CBSA allowed it as Chinese students are more heavily scrutinized. So the student was a PhD student and didn’t have a study permit and applied at the border?

Last edited: